Revell 1/350 Tirpitz Colours. Help.

magpie1832

Hi All, I am nearing the end of my KGV build and have many kits to chose from my stash. One is the Revell platinum edition Tirpitz. Others are 1/200 Uss iowa with pontos deluxe set, 1/350 uss kittyhawk and nimitz with BIG ED and Airfix 1/350 HMSIllustrious with BIG ED. Im think of the Tirpitz but cant seem to find the colours properly as Revell as you all know give their own coulour but in ratios mixed which is no use. 

I found Bismark colours on WEM but thats it. Could anyone shed some light on the colours for me please. 

I am doing the September Norway splinter camo 1943.

Chris

uMMUkyRh.jpg

Edited by magpie1832

17 minutes ago, magpie1832 said:

I found Bismark colours on WEM but thats it. Could anyone shed some light on the colours for me please. 

I am doing the September Norway splinter camo 1943.

Colourcoats?

https://www.sovereignhobbies.co.uk/collections/colourcoats-sea

@Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies  is  the boss, and will know what the relevant paints are.

• Thanks 1

The Revell instructions are the first time I've seen a suggestion that there was a fourth paint colour in that scheme, and typical for Revell there's no suggestion as to what the real-life paint would have been that they are attempting to portray.

My understanding is that the Germans either didn't record what paints they applied to exact ships (although we know the paints they generally used), or destroyed these records, but I don't think there's a repository of primary source documents name dropping specific paints on specific ships so Kriegsmarine camouflage is circumstantial and interpretational in the main.

Most believe Tirpitz was in a 3-colour camouflage scheme at this time consisting of white (possibly "Schnellboot Weiss" or RAL 9002), Hellgrau 50 (RAL 7001) and Dunkelgrau 2 (RAL 7024) from lightest to darkest. Personally I doubt the provenance of the blue panel on Revell's paint guide and in lieu of any supporting evidence would suggest it probably just Dunkelgrau 2 like the rest of the dark splinters.

• Thanks 2

Many Thanks @Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies I have read many things and like you say there is very little evidence of the colours. I've seen blue and green added into the scheme from many different sites but mostly grey and white. So I will be going for the three colour scheme. 😀

@GrantGoodale Revell paints are convertible like you suggest but, they only have minimal shades so they ask you to mix them yourself to certain ratios. Which makes it a Pain when you are doing a big model. They don't even give the colour they are trying to achieve so you end up like I am looking for the correct shades pre mixed for consistency. 👍 

Thanks Chris

• Like 1