Nakajima Ki-84 Hayate

Creepy Pete

Here's my second build for the Group Build. I'm doing a 1/48 Hasegawa Ki-84 Hayate. This is one of the finest Hasegawa kits I've ever done. A nicely detailed cockpit, very fine surface details, excellent fit so far. Even the kit decals look nice, although I won't be using them. I got two aftermarket sheets for it, one from Berna and one from Rising Decals, both with some options that fit the time period of this GB.

I am taking some guess work with the cockpit color, as it turns out they had probably three different colours, depending on when they were built. Aotake (that metallic blue-ish stuff) on early ones, a dark green on middle ones, and natural metal on late ones. As I have no idea when mine was built, I decided to go with the green colour, and pretend it is correct. Nobody will notice it anyway. I used Tamiya's Japanese Army Green for it. The seat (not fitted yet) comes with a comfy looking cushion, which isn't correct, but I'll just leave it on. This thing must have been an ergonomic nightmare, as there are levers and controls everywhere, even the guns stick out the firewall in front of the instrument panel, just like the A6M.

mVIDOMT.jpg

• Like 3

I started painting the Hayate. First some Alclad flat black primer, and some Alclad flat Aluminium on top of that. Next up will be the top coat, with some chipping here and there. I still haven't quite decided yet which one to do, or which colour scheme even. They came in both a green top coat with metal undersides, and a more olive drab like colour with grey undersides. I'm leaning towards the latter.

ofMnrM8.jpg

• Like 4

I coated the model with Tamiya's X-22 clear, and let it dry for a couple days. After that I decanted some cheap hairspray (with a lovely fake lavender smell), and airbrushed it on various spots. Today I sprayed the undersides with Mr. Color 128 Grey Green, and Humbrol's 155 Olive Drab, with a few drops of yellow to lighten it a bit, went on the upper surfaces. Next up will be the anti glare panel, the yellow leading edges on the wings and the hinomarus, for which I have masks.

This one will be done as a Ki-84 of the 9th Hiko Sentai that was in the Nanking (Nanjing nowadays) area in May of 1945. Rising Decals will be used. Reference photos of Japanese planes in ww2 are rare and often of poor quality, but here's one:

https://www.asisbiz.com/il2/Ki-84/Ki-84-9-Sentai/images/Nakajima-Ki-84-9-Sentai-1-Chutai-W46-Nanking-China-1945-01.jpg

Pic of the model:

wpgr56f.jpg

• Like 3

Another day well spent, I'd say. Lots of masking, using a Maketar set, and regular Tamiya tape, and some airbrushing with Tamiya white, Colourcoats Hinomaru Red and Mr. Color's yellow, and here's the result.

9CfPIc0.jpg

Next up is masking and painting of some smaller yellow lines and panels on the wings. The aftermarket sheet that I got doesn't have any stencils included, I found out last night, and the kit ones have some in the wrong colour for this scheme.

• Like 4

Thanks Blitz!

I did some chipping, which wasn't as easy as I expected with the hairspray under the olive green paint, which might be a good thing, since I didn't want to overdo it. After that some glossing and decals. I also painted the exhausts. Next up is a brownish wash.

tTA4m7N.jpg

• Like 2

Gidday Pete, she's a good looking aircraft, and looks rather solid. I've just checked out the photos of it in the gallery, and my first impression was that it looked rather like  P-47. And of course the last photo in your post there confirms it. Regards, Jeff.