Dornier Do28, Air America, a Lima Site somewhere in Laos

Howdy everyone,

Finally finished the latest addition to my small but growing `Air America` collection, Isra Casts 1/48 Do 28 Agur loosely converted to represent an aircraft used by the CIA airline in Laos during the 1960`s

CJuug5J.jpg

I couldn`t believe it when the kit came out as I`ve always wanted to do one and was thinking it wouldn`t be a too difficult job to convert even though it was manufactured in my 3 most hated mediums........

13SlkJM.jpg

.....ie, resin, vac form and photo etch

mTXp8GN.jpg

Unfortunately I under estimated the amount of changes I had to make and over estimated my ability to build something purely from these materials

EOqN7AH.jpg

The kit consists of vac form mainplanes and mid fuselage, resin nose, rear fuselage tail, engine nacelles, undercarriage and fuselage interior, clear resin transparencies and photo etch fiddely bits

fyqJsG9.jpg

Had to do a few changes to the nacelles, including: removal of air intake from the top, removing and extending the lower intake, extending and fairing in the exhausts and 2 blade propellers instead of 3 bladed ones.

CLMODka.jpg

The worst part of the build was fitting and blending the transparencies to the vac form fuselage, especially as once the excess plastic was removed from the fuselage it twisted into some weird shapes needing copious amounts Gorilla Glue Gel, Milliput and P-38 Car Body Filler, Wet and Dry, and polishing with toothpaste to get looking neat.

6PS30lm.jpg

Blending in the mainplane to fuselage needed more copious amounts of Milliput and sanding, plastic strip to create the fairings at the mainplane/side fuselage join

ZAFTpDk.jpg

The rest was easy: decals from the stash, aerials, lights, handles etc from bits of wire and sundry bits and pieces from the spares box 

Really glad to have one in the collection now. Hope you enjoy the photo`s

Thanks for looking, cheers Russ

• Like 44

Given what you went through to see this one to the finish line, you can be doggone proud 'cause it looks great!

• Thanks 1

Hi Russ,

sounds like this kit is a bit of a handful even without converting it. But it really came out great, I admire your persistence. No wonder this is the first I see built :worthy:

Cheers

Markus

• Thanks 1

Nice one Russ, another cracker and another aircraft I've not even heard of!!

Sounds like it was a right PITA to do but the end result was well worth it.

Phil

• Thanks 1

Well, despite all the challenges, you have produced another absolutely beautiful model! Superbly done! :worthy: :worthy:

Kind regards,

Stix 

• Thanks 1

Another fine example for the collection Russ glad you overcame the challenges,I'm out of my comfort zone with anything but plastic!

• Thanks 1

• 2 years later...