4 hours ago, FlyingSpanner said:

What is the part which you are rolling with the drill bit?

It's the access door on one of the cowl vents.

2 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

they seem to be flag lockers?

Yes mate, flag lockers complete with coloured inserts by Pontos

1 hour ago, beefy66 said:

OH I don't know your making it look like an easy stroll from here

Keith, you've got yer telescope the wrong way round again....

Thank you for the the kind comments and likes

Stay safe

Kev

• Like 3

I've had a couple of days relaxed modelling..... no brass knitting - bliss :coolio:

P1110080

P1110081

P1110083

P1110085

The boat is going to be abandoned/swamped. So will be set very low in the water. If anyone is wondering how it would still be afloat. Underneath the side benches are watertight containers. The cross thwarts have water tight storage bins under.

P1110089

P1110090

Thanks for stopping by

Stay safe

Kev

• Like 15

Can you give us something for scale so I can see how big it is/isn’t. I’m only used to looking at 1/35 so it could be massive for all I know :ninja:

Would you mind taking us through something you scratch build step by step, mentioning materials, tools and techniques? I’m doing a bit of scratch work on my PT boat, and while thoroughly enjoying it I’m quite sure I haven’t a clue what I’m doing or how to do it. I’ve built 1/1 cars from the ground up, but sadly the skills, tools and techniques have not been transferable thus far 🤣

Hi FS

As requested

P1110092

As to your request for further details. I used to include more details as to how I managed to fudge together my builds. This evoked little to no reaction leaving me feeling as if I was blowing my own trumpet.

In addition this build will involve very little scratch building and therefore it would be inappropriate. As to PE work I'm a novice

If you wish to ask questions feel free on the forum or by PM. Keep up the good work on the Vosper

Kev

• Like 12

On 02/08/2020 at 05:45, FlyingSpanner said:

I’m doing a bit of scratch work on my PT boat, and while thoroughly enjoying it I’m quite sure I haven’t a clue what I’m doing or how to do it. 

Ummmmm....

That’s how all scratchbuilding is done isn’t it? 🤔

• Haha 5

Tiny then! All the more impressive 👍

1 hour ago, longshanks said:

As to your request for further details. I used to include more details as to how I managed to fudge together my builds. This evoked little to no reaction leaving me feeling as if I was blowing my own trumpet.

I’ve read some of these, mostly on the MGB 658 build, hence my asking for more 🙂.
I never saw it as blowing your own trumpet, and have referred back a number of times, the jig building explanations being especially useful.

I hope you will include more scratch building tips in future builds where appropriate. Always remember that just because something doesn’t provoke discussion at the time of posting it will still be found and be useful for many readers well after the fact.

Thanks for the invitation to ask questions, I will certainly take you up on it 

Lewis

• Like 4

Gidday Kev, I think I agree with Lewis above. I'm now into scratch building parts when I modify a ship kit. Although they are rarely (never 🙂) as good as PE I enjoy doing them. I also enjoy learning from other modelers as to how he/she has made a part. Just because I (and others) may not have commented on your method does not mean I haven't learned from you. If I can't think of an intelligent reply I sometimes use the 'like' or 'thanks' button only, but this is still a response.

Besides, has it occurred to you that we are gobsmacked and rendered speechless by the sheer brilliance of your creations? 😁 

No, it's not blowing your own trumpet, it's passing on info and learning tips to others, and I think that's one of the reasons we're here. Me, anyway.   Regards, Jeff.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, FlyingSpanner said:

Tiny then! All the more impressive 👍

I’ve read some of these, mostly on the MGB 658 build, hence my asking for more 🙂.
I never saw it as blowing your own trumpet, and have referred back a number of times, the jig building explanations being especially useful.

I hope you will include more scratch building tips in future builds where appropriate. Always remember that just because something doesn’t provoke discussion at the time of posting it will still be found and be useful for many readers well after the fact.

Thanks for the invitation to ask questions, I will certainly take you up on it 

Lewis

Yep!

3 hours ago, Bandsaw Steve said:

That’s how all scratchbuilding is done isn’t it?

:hmmm:   :nodding:

3 hours ago, FlyingSpanner said:

I hope you will include more scratch building tips in future builds where appropriate.

Certainly feeling more inclined :thumbsup:

2 hours ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Besides, has it occurred to you that we are gobsmacked and rendered speechless by the sheer brilliance of your creations? 

I thought you Aussies didn't do BS :wink:

53 minutes ago, Bandsaw Steve said:

Yep!

See a man of few words 😂

Thanks for the kind words and likes

Stay safe

Kev

• Like 6

4 hours ago, longshanks said:

... feeling as if I was blowing my own trumpet. ...

Wow, an awesome modeller & a musician, too.  A man of many talents.  :speak_cool:

Always look forward to your detailed posts, Kev.  :yes:

John

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, longshanks said:

I thought you Aussies didn't do BS 

B as in bovine? S as in, well, you know? We thrive on it. 👍😁

Seriously, you never know what very small, seemingly insignificant little tip you picked up ages ago from another modeler can save a build from a botch-up, or at least make it easier. Regards, Jeff.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, JohnWS said:

Wow, an awesome modeller & a musician, too.  A man of many talents.  :speak_cool:

Do you have brass bands then down your way Kev  🎺

I think I can see your diorama beginning to look quite striking is it going to show a rescue from a sunken convoy ship or just the boat by itself :idea:

Stay Safe

beefy

15 minutes ago, beefy66 said:

Do you have brass bands then down your way

Oh Yes but they wont let me in  :shrug:

18 minutes ago, beefy66 said:

is it going to show a rescue from a sunken convoy ship or just the boat by itself 

A swamped abandoned lifeboat is the intention....

Stay safe 

Kev

• Like 3

Good progress made to bridge deck

P1110147

P1110141

P1110142

P1110143

Scratch built shelving and aerial leads on center railing. 

P1110144

The one thing with macro pics you can see where you've got to touch/clean up :nodding:

My new best friend . Brilliant for PE

P1110140

Micro Krystal Klear which you may remembered I sourced for the windows. On the label it says joins most materials.... Looks feels like a tacky PVA. So I tried it. Brilliant. Good initial tack, quick setting, clean up with a damp brush and flexible (useful for railings when you're clumsy like me)

Incidentally one of my glue applicators is visible above. Cocktail stick with wire stripped from flex wound around. Great for awkward corners and easy clean, cut the end off.

Stay safe

Kev

• Like 15

Lovely work

I must try the Micro Krystal Klear on PE, I read great things about Gators Grip thin blend for PE, bought some and was underwhelmed with the results. How are you using it/in what situations do you use it? I guess for joining assemblies to the model, rather than etch to etch?

Now that I have some medium CA I’m really quite taken with the acupuncture needle technique 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, FlyingSpanner said:

I read great things about Gators Grip thin blend for PE, bought some and was underwhelmed with the results.

Same here. I recently acquired some Micro Krystal Klear so I'll give it a trial too. Trying to build a 1/144 Sopwith pup (when I get the time) and making a mess of it with CA, didn't even bovver with Gator Grip. 

Funnily enough Kev, my favourite for absolutley clear windows is wimmens nail varnish but it has a seriously bad effect on Acrylic paint (it melts it).

• Haha 1

I won't say "I don't know how I missed this" as the obvious answer is that I was not paying attention! However, now I hve found it and had a good read of it, it gets the Martian seal of approval. You can look forward to my support of this build.

Supportive of Mars 👽

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Outstanding work! :thumbsup:

I particularly like the additional detail you're adding to those topside structures and compartments! :worthy:

Micro Kristal Klear as well as Gator Grip Glue and Formula 560 Canopy Glue are all good for PE. They're actually best for surface bonds between PE and other materials as they flex to absorb the different thermal expansion rates of PE and other materials. CA isn't flexible and is weakest in shear, with the result that surface-mounted PE items attached with CA will spontaneously pop off. It's satisfying to know that my Naval Architecture degree is useful for building plastic models...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, dnl42 said:

Micro Kristal Klear as well as Gator Grip Glue and Formula 560 Canopy Glue are all good for PE.

1 hour ago, Courageous said:

I know many who use the '560' for PE.

:hmmm:There I was thinking I'd discovered the world is flat   ...  :shrug:

14 hours ago, FlyingSpanner said:

How are you using it/in what situations do you use it? I guess for joining assemblies to the model, rather than etch to etch?

I'm using it for all sorts of job including etch to etch. I have a problem in that I have an involuntary tremor in my left hand which can make gluing interesting. Trying to hold and apply can be quite frustrating .. With the KK I can apply to the area, position piece and clear up with a damp brush. Ok I can't build a kit in a weekend but then I have no desire to. 

8 hours ago, dnl42 said:

CA isn't flexible and is weakest in shear, with the result that surface-mounted PE items attached with CA will spontaneously pop off. It's satisfying to know that my Naval Architecture degree is useful for building plastic models...

As the man with an 'ology' pointed out Ca aint the greatest. The KK is definitely flexible which is a big plus especially for attaching railings

Thank you for all your kind comments and likes. 

9 hours ago, Martian said:

I was not paying attention!

100 lines ' I must pay .....

Stay safe 

Kev

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Lovely work on the bridge deck there Kev. Those Oerlikon bandstands either side take me back to when I was tackling same on my Vosper ......... remember that guys? 😅

Terry

• Thanks 1

Lots of great details to make notes on and some new glue to look out for :book:

would HMS Buttercup have the same bridge details 🤔

Stay Safe 

beefy 

• Thanks 1

I've not had a problem using superglue to stick PE. Apply to 1 part with a cocktail stick or similar and wet the other part. Water will set the superglue almost instantly and it makes the glue space filling. Some activators will set the superglue so it dries flexibly.

HMS Buttercup's bridge is almost itentical, instead of circular Oerlikon tubs they are octuple. On the Revell kit, it is missing the winding gear for the magnetic minesweeping drum. Details of this are difficult to find, it seems there is a removable hand crank on the port side and a chain drive, possibly to an electric motor on the starboard side.

• Like 2