3 hours ago, longshanks said:

Wow thanks Jamie that's brilliant and really very kind of you

Now ordered 👍

Stay safe 

Kev

It should give a reasonable steer on what's likely to have been seen under peeling paint :)

• Like 1

Small update to show I'm still in business.

Sidescreens added to wheelhouse, Asdic hut assembled

P1110017

P1110016

I got to wondering while working on the Asdic hut. Why have a window facing forward in a room full of electronics. From measurements I reckon there was room for 4/5 operators. I wonder if the window was in front of a chart position??

There being a window and a door in the back I thought some gizmology  was needed as you do, don't you??

P1110013

P1110015

The pontos supplied wood deck whilst superb quality I thought was a bit light. This has had two thin coats of Lifecolor UA779 Wooden grey umber. I'm thinking perhaps another coat, your thoughts??

P1110019

Trying to tackle long winded jobs here and there I thought I then down the cowl vents. Better I think

P1110007

Thanks for stopping by  Stay safe 

Kev

• Like 18

5 hours ago, longshanks said:

P1110017

Excellent stuff as ever Kev and I do like that gizmology! I can't help thinking that picture above reminds me of a cross between a summer house, and a large potting shed ............. well I guess it is a Flower class after all!

Terry

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

Nice to see you're still in business, Kev.  Very nice work on the wheelhouse, asdic hut, & cowl vents. :yes:

6 hours ago, longshanks said:

... I got to wondering while working on the Asdic hut. Why have a window facing forward in a room full of electronics. From measurements I reckon there was room for 4/5 operators. I wonder if the window was in front of a chart position?? ...

A very good question.  Looking at interior shots of the asdic hut, there appears to be equipment on a bench that cover the window area. HMCS Sackville has a porthole where the rectangular window was located, so it looks like there was a reason for the window.  Lighting doesn't appear to be an issue, as there were a couple of lamps reflecting light off the ceiling.  Maybe the window was just for airflow to cool the equipment????  

FYI, here's a couple of links to WWII photos of HMCS Camrose asdic hut;

http://www.cyberus.ca/~gcraigs/pa204280.jpg

http://www.cyberus.ca/~gcraigs/pa-134330.jpg

Plus Sackville's hut (in case you haven't seen it 🙂 );

https://hmcssackville.ca/wp-content/uploads/photo-gallery/imported_from_media_libray//asdic-hut.jpg

John

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 12/07/2020 at 21:05, Terry1954 said:

above reminds me of a cross between a summer house, and a large potting shed

7 hours ago, robgizlu said:

and erh.......wooden

Are you guys inferring my modeling is looking rustic ??

Looking at that shot Terry I half expect a hobbit to come out  :nodding:

22 hours ago, JohnWS said:

FYI, here's a couple of links to

John you're look a pic search engine. You always seem to pull out loads that I never seen. Do you accept commissions?

15 hours ago, beefy66 said:

I think the deck could be a little darker 

7 hours ago, robgizlu said:

I'd leave the deck that shade

5 hours ago, FlyingSpanner said:

I would be inclined to go wetter looking on the deck.

Thats what I was thinking, so I think I'll give it another wash

Thanks for the comments and like guys

Stay safe 

Kev

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, longshanks said:

... John you're look a pic search engine. You always seem to pull out loads that I never seen. Do you accept commissions? ...

It comes from years & years of practice researching naval stuff. :smartass:

As far as commissions go, I feel I still owe you a few freebies for the help you've given me. :worthy:

John

• Thanks 1

An Unfashionably late entrance,and the soiree seems to be in full swing,and so it should,all the ingredients are presented for another classic albeit on a much,  much larger scale,lots to like here kev so far,   the celotex seascape looks like a winner, and brass work and scratch work too 👍

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

He’s upside down; it’s bound to take things a little longer to trickle through.

I dunno, he usually looks the right way up to me. But yeah, sometimes things do take a while to trickle down to this part of the world, despite being 'down hill'.

And Kev, the detail on the bridge and in the ASDIC cabinet (compartment?) looks very good.             Regards, Jeff.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I don't want to think I'm slacking, doesn't seem a lot but I assure you a lot of blood, sweat, tears and :jump_fire: has gone into this. Steep learning curve? Put it this way I've been on oxygen the past few days....😉

Third coat on the deck, I feel it's looking better

P1110029

Imagine my surprise when the piece actually curled up

P1110022

Working down in drill size on cutting mat.

and then

P1110023

on a roll until .......

I have actually stuck some bits together

P1110044

P1110040

P1110036

P1110035

Still a ways to go ..

One observation I would make. Scratch building is a walk in the park compared to this PE malarky

Thanks for stopping by

Stay safe

Kev

• Like 16

She's coming together. :speak_cool:  I like the signal flags.

1 hour ago, longshanks said:

... One observation I would make. Scratch building is a walk in the park compared to this PE malarky ...

Yep!  :hypnotised:

John

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, longshanks said:

One observation I would make. Scratch building is a walk in the park compared to this PE malarky

OH I don't know your making it look like an easy stroll from here that whole section is a small masterpiece  👍

Stay Safe

beefy

• Thanks 1