Ssshh! Don't ell anyone I've snuck into the big boys playground Following in the large footsteps of @Gisbod

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235070094-revell-1144-flower-class-corvette-pontos-photo-update/

and @robgizlu

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235005424-revell-flower-class-corvette-1144/

OK secrets out, I'm going to attempt the Revell Corvette plus Pontos set in the N Atlantic with fairly heavy weathering :rofl2:

So were looking at

RG5132-2

with

atholl-01-1180x792.jpg

Started the base using two sheets of Celutex and despite precautions it bent like a banana. Cuts and weights later

P1100985

it will do for a practise run.....

P1100986

All that and I still feel the need......

The front right hand corner is going to look a bit bare so I thought a swamped lifeboat will look good

P1100987

P1100988

:hmmm:Sanding sealer when heated forms an adhesive 

Mk1

P1100991

P1100992

and I've even done some PE

P1100990

P1100989

A part of my addled brain said it would be nice to do a kit for a change. Doh! :frantic: There are probably 20 bits of plastic used from the kit, what was I thinking ??

Well I may have very little experience with PE but if when I get to the end ....... :clif:

This could be the start of a long voyage

Stay safe

Kev

• Like 25

Cor,

That’s going to look great Kev! Base shaping up well already. It’s a decent enough kit but obviously with the Pontos set there’s a lot of it left in the box at the end!

I can’t remember any big issues with anything, but then I mostly can’t remember the day of the week 🤪

Have fun.

Guy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, JohnWS said:

I'll keep an eye out for our feathered friends & try to keep them at bay.

Please do and let me know if you need more ammo.

3 hours ago, Gisbod said:

I can’t remember any big issues with anything, but then I mostly can’t remember the day of the week 

Good to know and I know what you mean :hypnotised:

2 hours ago, robgizlu said:

That sea base looks great

That's the swells in. I intend to have the waves coming from a slightly different direction. ........

15 minutes ago, Terry1954 said:

Wow, a big boy build

I'm standing in the shadows of the big, big boys. Perhaps they may help when I get confused/lost at sea :frantic:

Thanks to all for the comments and likes

Stay safe

Kev

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, longshanks said:

... Please do and let me know if you need more ammo. ...

I have a couple of 40mm bofors  & 4 torpedoes on order for my BB build, so I should be okay.  Thanks anyway.  :giggle:

John

• Haha 1

:beer: check, :popcorn: check,  looking forward to this!

The base is looking great, proper Atlantic swell rolling through.

:clap2:

Geoff 

• Thanks 1

Looking forward to this indeed, I have ambitions to one of these myself, albeit way more basic than Kev is likely, nay obliged to produce. ;) :D Just a point for clarification, sea gulls are unlikely to be found in mid Atlantic, afaik anyway. Any chance of an albatross. :D

Steve.

• Haha 4

6 hours ago, stevehnz said:

Any chance of an albatross.

@JohnWS are you locked and loaded.....

A couple of thoughts Steve (that I can put in print)

1.   Albatrosses not found in N.Atlantic :shrug:

2.   I look forward to receiving your rendition in the post 😉

Swinging the lantern....

When I was at sea, many years ago I worked with a Chinese crew. An albatross took up station above the stbd. bridge wing. Someone :whistle: told the lookout the story of the Albatross and the loss souls. The crewman refused to go outside until the bird left us, some days later.

Kev

• Like 3
  • Haha 7

Looking good.  I love the base.

8 hours ago, stevehnz said:

I'm guessing a puffin wouldn't work either? :unsure: :)  Off to swot up my norf 'lantic orfinology. :D 

Steve.

When HECLA returned from the Falklands in 1982, our Captain who was a great ornithologist and President of the RN Birdwatching Society had the bridge watchkeepers log every bird we saw on the way home and they were carefully drawn with great accuracy on a large scale chart of the Atlantic in HECLA's chart plotting room by one of our Hydrographers.  The intention was to get it framed at the end of the deployment and present to the society. 

Unfortunately the night before we arrived in Gibraltar we had a mess dinner at sea to dine out the leavers which included myself and my fellow Midshipmen, the Flight Commander and about 3 others.  Lots of wine and port was consumed by those not required to watch keep that night and the Captain was aghast the following morning when he saw his chart was now adorned with some additional birds that weren't in the bridge guide book.  These included the "greater spotted sh*tehawk", the "lesser spotted sh*tehawk", the "large flapping thing" and the "swan (lost and confused)" to name but a few.  I couldn't possibly reveal who was responsible but let's just say the Midshipmen didn't go ashore in Gibraltar that night as we were "required on board" to remove any extraneous birds from his chart!

• Like 1
  • Haha 13

Progress....

Swamped lifeboat Mk2

P1110005

P1110003

I couldn't resist scratch build some details for the wheelhouse

P1110002

P1100999

P1110001

For anyone who has not seen me make steering wheels

P1100997

P1100998

A couple of questions for the knowledgeable .....

Anyone got thoughts/suggestions for what colour undercoat/primer would have been used back then. (For peeling paint )

Kristal Kleer for windows, does it dry completely clear?

Thanks for stopping by

Stay safe

Kev

• Like 18

Cracking job with the bridge there Kev as for the primer I am assuming it is for the outside paint work wouldn’t it have maybe been a red oxide primer not sure about the clear I use glue and glaze and that dries clear 

Stay Safe 

beefy 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, longshanks said:

Anyone got thoughts/suggestions for what colour undercoat/primer would have been used back then. (For peeling paint )

Kev what camouflage scheme will she be in?

The undercoat (at least should have) depended on the intended topcoat.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Dads203 said:

it’s nice to see it Finally take shape

No pressure then .... :shrug:

45 minutes ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

what camouflage scheme will she be in?

Hi Jamie, I'm looking to do a Western Approaches Scheme (white/blue/green) The intention hopefully to use hairspray technique to show underlying areas

TIA 

Kev

• Like 3

There is a problem with the kit's wheelhouse, which i have previously mentioned in other threads on this kit.

It is a complete mirror image of what it should be according to John Lambert's drawings and photos I have seen of HCMS Sackville.

• Like 1

I have the following for you

AFO 3807 - Matt Non-Chalking Camouflage Paints dated August 1942

2. On new work, the bare steel is to have one coat of red lead, and one coat of oil paint before applying the finishing coat of approved matt paint. The colour of the oil paint applied should approximate to that of the matt paint being used.

3. On surfaces that are already coated with oil paint and are in good condition, the matt paints can be applied over the old oil paint but care must be taken to clean and de-grease the oil paint work and, to treat any rusted portions of the structure with red lead and oil paint before applying the finishing coat of approved matt paint.

By May 1943, CB3098(R) says (but note that this post-dates your intended 3-colour Western Approaches scheme. That said, the instructions in it probably didn't appear out of thin air and may indeed give a steer as to what defacto practise was hitherto) :

Preparatory work 
137. In time of war, it may not be possible always to follow the correct procedure in painting. It should, however, be recognised that the satisfactory behaviour of paint depends as much on the way in which it is applied as on the ingredients used in its manufacture. The following directions should be observed so far as time and opportunity allow: 
(a) New Painting – New steel should be well wire-brushed to remove rust and loose scale. The surface should then be wiped clean and covered with red lead paint, Admiralty pattern 509, preferably in two successive coats. To obtain good results, it is of particular importance that each coat should be thoroughly hard and dry before subsequent coats are applied. Red lead, being a very slow-drying paint, requires at least three days in which to harden. 

This should be followed by at least one undercoat of ordinary oil paint. For preference, the last undercoat should be of approximately the average tone of the camouflage pattern that is to succeed it, e.g.:

Type of design.                                     Tone of undercoat 

Western Approaches  .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. ..    G.45

Light Admiralty and similar types .. .. .. .. ..    G.45

Intermediate   .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. ..   G.20

Dark Admiralty  .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. ..   G.10

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1