1:72 Vickers Super VC-10 - Mach 2 (modified) - British Airways

Wow. The hard work certainly paid off. Superb rendition of one of my favourite aircraft. I always thought these looked so elegant. A proper airliner. 

• Thanks 1

Incredible work, Sir. 

The amount of work you put into this to make it this gorgeous from what is reputed to be a bit of a swine of a kit shows how it can be done.

Stunning.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Thanks 1

Good to see it finished after all your work. If it was my kit I guess it would have taken a dive into the bin long ago :D Must have cost a lot of energy but it was worth it in the end seeing the result.

Cheers

Markus

• Thanks 1

Very very nice work on an obviously very very difficult model. Really appreciate your honest opinions and sharing your experiences during the build. The VC-10 is such a stately old bird, and you’ve captured every bit of her beauty here, regardless of the difficulties and inaccuracies of the kit...which you’ve corrected nicely. 

• Thanks 1

I had a quick glance at some of my notes I made from measuring up the VC10 at Brooklands, for anyone who is interested the passenger doors on the starboard side are 68cm width and 191cm tall and the port side are 93cm width and 203cm height 

in 1/72 scale starboard side 9.4mm x 26.5mm, port side 12.9mm x 28.2mm as I know looking at the kit the doors look wrong 

I'm sure I have my port and starboard the right way round LOL

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, kev67 said:

I had a quick glance at some of my notes I made from measuring up the VC10 at Brooklands, for anyone who is interested the passenger doors on the starboard side are 68cm width and 191cm tall and the port side are 93cm width and 203cm height 

in 1/72 scale starboard side 9.4mm x 26.5mm, port side 12.9mm x 28.2mm as I know looking at the kit the doors look wrong 

I'm sure I have my port and starboard the right way round LOL

Thanks Kev. I think the extent of my notes was 'wide doors port, skinny doors starboard' LOL.. Interesting that the stbd doors are also less tall, I didn't pick that up I must confess. 

One other port/starboard difference is that there is some sort of inspection/work light to port - ie the passenger boarding side - but not to starboard. Ahead of the wing root on the Super and incorporated into the mid fuselage door on the Standard. I'd love to know why!  

The port doors were the passenger doors so were larger. The ones on the starboard side were known as service doors for loading catering etc so were smaller. On the tankers the port doors were blocked up, I think only leaving the forward service door for access. I heard that the galley equipment (fridge, oven etc) was too big to come out of the service door so if it failed it had to be chopped up to get it out. 

One of my trainers used to call the ELRAT the Spanish rodent. On the 10 it was purely electrical whereas most modern airliners it supplies hydraulic power too.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Excellent work BZ to you....always liked VC10s the preferred way to travel in the UK forces...beat those flippin Tristars(hated with a passion) which seemed to break down ....remember being 'rescued'by a VC 10 on the wsy back from AFG.

Mind you if you are on hold in Decimomanu mid summer not so good but once moving...ok

• Like 1

On 6/30/2020 at 1:36 PM, canberraman said:

What a beauty!  I can only begin to imagine the hard work and effort that went into to turning the Mach 2 sow's ear into the silk purse you have created. Beautiful clean finish and the decals look great too. Thanks for sharing and for the inspiration.

Mark

I happily second that!

• Thanks 1

On ‎7‎/‎1‎/‎2020 at 8:41 AM, 71chally said:

Well well, the Mach2 kit can be beaten into shape!  Superb build and wonderful (and hard) work correcting the nose profile, such an important part of the aircrafts' character.

Yes, the little bump is part of the two doors that covers the ELRAT, the deployable windmill that provides electrical power in an emergency.

Seen below the fuselage here with red covers on,

6714483125_1220b6972e_b.jpg

VC-10 K.3 ZA150 J 11 Jan 12 by James Thomas, on Flickr

Excellent work Harry!

Now that's what you call a de-tuner !

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Absolutely stunning result of one of the most elegant airliners ever built.

Your effort is a true tribute to the VC-10.

When I saw the MACH 2 kit at my local hobbyshop I was very tempted to buy one.But after a brief look in tbe box and on the price tag,I decided otherwise.

Its a shame really,that MACH 2 is producing very interesting subjects but in such a "quality" that leaves so much to be desired.

My respect to you for the huge effort and endurance in building this model.

• Thanks 1