1:72 Vickers Super VC-10 - Mach 2 (modified) - British Airways

What a beauty!  I can only begin to imagine the hard work and effort that went into to turning the Mach 2 sow's ear into the silk purse you have created. Beautiful clean finish and the decals look great too. Thanks for sharing and for the inspiration.

Mark

• Thanks 1

Hi Harry,

Seriously awesome!

Really impressed by your perseverance on this difficult kit and what a result, this is how the kit should look OOB.

Love the Douglas Tugmaster and Leyland National too!

Quick question, what is the small lump on the underside in the 6th pic? I can't find any pics of it.

Cheers,

Ian

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Turbofan said:

Hi Harry,

Seriously awesome!

Really impressed by your perseverance on this difficult kit and what a result, this is how the kit should look OOB.

Love the Douglas Tugmaster and Leyland National too!

Quick question, what is the small lump on the underside in the 6th pic? I can't find any pics of it.

Cheers,

Ian

Hi Ian,

Thank you - I haven't the foggiest I'm afraid! But there is a lump there:

2020-06-30_09-09-48

To be honest I relied more on pictures of @kev67's fabulous model for its location rather than the real thing, but that's not a bad thing. If only I could have looked at Golf Charlie at Duxford. I've poured over it many times, but not in a sufficiently businesslike way.

And thanks again for the refs of the walkways!

The VC-10 and Super VC-10 are such elegant designs. Got to see a military VC-10 at Altus AFB, years ago, when am RAF contingent came to visit. My most vivid memory of that airplanes, aside from its good looks, was that it was loud, louder than our KC-135As even with water injection!

Your model is gorgeous! Reading the comments above, you're to be commended for persevering with what appears to be a very difficult build. I'm struggling enough getting three AMT 1/72 tankers together (warped fuselages) and what you dealt with sounds much more challenging. Gold medals of all kinds for a successful and beautiful end result.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Bangseat said:

I’ve tried to create with this model a visually striking and reasonably accurate representation of the Super VC-10

And you've succeeded.  I'm really impressed.  I like your description of it as "based on the Mach 2 kit;" that is apropos.  Well done, sir!

• Thanks 1

What a magnificent beast, lovely job,surely the most beautiful airliner ever.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          Cheers Michael. 

• Thanks 1

Well well, the Mach2 kit can be beaten into shape!  Superb build and wonderful (and hard) work correcting the nose profile, such an important part of the aircrafts' character.

Yes, the little bump is part of the two doors that covers the ELRAT, the deployable windmill that provides electrical power in an emergency.

Seen below the fuselage here with red covers on,

6714483125_1220b6972e_b.jpg

VC-10 K.3 ZA150 J 11 Jan 12 by James Thomas, on Flickr

Excellent work Harry!

• Thanks 1

Possibly the most beautiful airliner of all time stunningly rendered.  I dipped in and out of your WIP and was highly impressed by the work you put in, particulalrly the nose/cockpit area which Mach 2 seemed to get so wrong.  All that work paid off handsomely though.  I don't think I would ever have the skills or patience to build this kit so will instead go for the Roden 144th one at some stage. 

• Thanks 1