This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

jackroadkill

Another 1/48 109 - this time a Hobby Boss G-2

One in, one out seems to be the way things are going, although as I'm back in work properly from Thursday things might slow down a bit on the model-building front.  I picked up a Hobby Boss Bf109G-2 locally and decided to give it a crack after finishing my Emil.  First impressions of the kit are that it's basic but workable.  The intention with this one is to use it as a chance to improve my tidying-up skills (join lines, re-cutting panel lines, getting braver with cockpit detailing etc).  I'm going OOB completely on this one, although I might do something about the pitiful effort the manufacturers did on the cowling guns.  Oh, and I'm going to try making some seatbelts for it.  It will be built using the supplied decals, and I'm going with Gunther Rall's JG52 "Black 13" markings.  As Staffelkapitan, though, he apparently he flew Black 1 more or less exclusively, using Black13 very infrequently.

I didn't bother with a sprue shot, and just got on with getting the cockpit interior sorted.  There's no PE going on here so I decided to spruce it up a bit using paint.  I'm in the process of making the drop-tank's fuel transfer pipe out of copper wire, as the represented part here is barely visible; I haven't finished yet but you all know what it looks like and where it will go.  As you will see from the picture below I've lightened some raised areas with heavily-thinned paint prior to dark washing around them in order to give a bit of colour differentiation between various parts.  A cocktail stick was my friend for painting knobs and buttons etc.  I applied the IP decal, decided it sucked and pulled it back off, instead using some drybrushing and nail varnish on the instruments themselves.

spacer.png

Things don't all fit very well:

spacer.png

I had to glue the tank together in three stages because the curve profiles of each half didn't match.  Still, liberal dosings of Tamiya Extra Thin seem to have done the job - now I just have to make both halves of the lines join up properly with each other and get rid of the overlapping join line:

spacer.png

The wings went together reasonably well, but I'm stumped as to what this thing is and what purpose it serves:

spacer.png

So that's it for now but we'll see how it comes together.

Thanks,

JRK

Will be following this...

I built the F-4 version of this kit a few months ago.  The 'thing' between the wings - is also present on the F-4 and I've no idea what it is either.  But whatever it is/was, it prevented the fuselage/wing joins from fitting correctly, so I removed it and then everything fitted fine.  It doesn't seem to serve a purpose and can't be seen anyway.

The fit on mine was pretty good, apart from the canopy, which needed some trimming. 

17 minutes ago, Werdna said:

The 'thing' between the wings

Fuel tank, actually.

2 hours ago, alt-92 said:

Fuel tank, actually.

Fortunately, my 109F-4 just sits on a shelf, so doesn't need any fuel.. ;)

Stick some solar panels on it, brushless electric motor, and you have a 'green' model :)

:coat: