Arma Hobby 1/72 Wildcat VI

Afternoon all,

Hot off the bench is build 15 for the year, the brand new and very, very nice 1/72 FM-2 Wildcat from Arma Hobby. Finished as a Fleet Air Arm Wildcat VI in the markings of 853 NAS using Hataka Orange Line paints and decals from a Techmod sheet I bought as part of the Expert set and three overtrees kit deal Arma were doing.

Not sure if I'm the first to post one here but a few thoughts on the kit- Overall, it's a delight. Goes together superbly with only a lick of filler needed at the wing roots. The undercarriage is a bit fiddly as is customary with the Wildcat, and in fact I'm not sure if I've installed it quite correctly, it's possibly 1-2mm too high. But if so that's a problem of my own making and not the kits. I can't comment on absolute accuracy but it certainly looks pretty good to my eye. 

Onto the pics...

50062145197_bdb41fb1d0_o.jpgArma Hobby 1/72 Grumman Wildcat VI by Shaun Schofield, on Flickr

50062145162_ba7cc8dcea_o.jpgArma Hobby 1/72 Grumman Wildcat VI by Shaun Schofield, on Flickr

50062145127_1da4e352cc_o.jpgArma Hobby 1/72 Grumman Wildcat VI by Shaun Schofield, on Flickr

50061896601_7be4637158_o.jpgArma Hobby 1/72 Grumman Wildcat VI by Shaun Schofield, on Flickr

50062145047_e46303173d_o.jpgArma Hobby 1/72 Grumman Wildcat VI by Shaun Schofield, on Flickr

Thanks for looking, comments welcomed

Shaun

• Like 60
  • Thanks 1

Looks very nice. This Arma Hobby kit had quite a good review on hyperscale recently and you have proven it to be correct adding your skill.

I hope they will also tap into the 1/48 market at some point.

Great job!

• Like 1

That's a lovely build, excellent paintwork and nice subtle weathering.

6 hours ago, Seamus said:

Hot off the bench is build 15 for the year

That's an astounding build pace, is this a normal year for you? How big is your display space? Or do you build these on commission or for general sale?

• Like 1

Thanks all, I'm glad this one has been of interest, and your kind comments are much appreciated

11 hours ago, Vlad said:

That's an astounding build pace, is this a normal year for you? How big is your display space? Or do you build these on commission or for general sale?

Far from it! In fact that's more than I've managed in total for the previous 4 or 5 years I think. Lockdown proved to be productive! I have two IKEA Detolf display cases with additional shelves that are just about full to the brim where I keep my finished builds. Sticking purely to 1/72 means I can get lots on display, although a new case is needed imminently, especially if I continue at my current rate....

3 hours ago, Seamus said:

Thanks all, I'm glad this one has been of interest, and your kind comments are much appreciated

Far from it! In fact that's more than I've managed in total for the previous 4 or 5 years I think. Lockdown proved to be productive! I have two IKEA Detolf display cases with additional shelves that are just about full to the brim where I keep my finished builds. Sticking purely to 1/72 means I can get lots on display, although a new case is needed imminently, especially if I continue at my current rate....

Ha ha! Ah yes the lockdown effect. I'm also running out of space but in my case it will probably need some retiring of older builds!

• Like 1

Lovely job and it certainly looks the business,....... I`ve just bought one and I`m looking forward to getting started on it,

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Superb Wildcat!

I've become a fan (if that's an appropriate term) of the Midway campaign and love to see anything that flew in that battle.

I wonder how the Arma kit compares to the new-tool Airfix.

Anyway, your build is excellent and inspiring!  👍👍

• Like 1

That Wildcat looks wonderful, Shamus.

I think its the second one i've seen built so far. Looking at the photos, i can see why you'd thing the landing gear is a bit long. Not sure if its an optical illusion or faulty installation. The only real way you can know for sure is by comparing it to a good side profile photo. I know the 48th scale HobbyBoss offerings have gear that appear to be cast in a weight-off-wheels, "unloaded" condition. Really takes away from the pugnacious looks of the plane.

-d-

• Like 1

Lovely job Sean,...... your paint job is immaculate and it looks stubby, powerful and like it is already moving just sat there! 

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1

Great looking Wildcat well done.  It will look great in the cabinet.

I wish they would grow their MKV to 1/48.  I have converted the 1/48 Tamiya F4F-4 to a Martlet II and a Martlet IV (a more involved conversion) and I would like to have a 1/48 Wildcat MKV.

• Like 1