Latin Storm Approaching – Special Hobby Super Mystere B2 (J57 engine) – ‘FAH2002’ Fuerza Aerea Hondurena 1/72

Hello all!

The latest build just rolled out of the paint shop in the form of one of my favourite 1950s/60s jets, the Dassault Super Mystere B2. As you can see, she is one of the conversions undertaken by our Middle Eastern neighbours, Israel. After the Israelis had retired these machines the Fuerza Aerea Hondurena (Honduran Air Force), the “FAH”, received 16 of these machines during 1976-77 as part of deal covering 16 aircraft, parts and engines. Once in country they were allocated serials in the range FAH 2001 to FAH 2016 and were operated from La Ceiba air base. Their initial operation was supported by the Israelis but quickly the Hondurans grasped the nettle and took on the operation completely.

They saw action in the Nicaragua-Honduras conflict against the contras - Operación Danto ‘88 -  

https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=es&u=https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operaci%C3%B3n_Danto_88&prev=search&pto=aue

- and latterly were used on border patrol work, often intercepting drug running aircraft overflying the country.  During their service, which was long, four aircraft were lost in accidents. During the mid-1980s they underwent maintenance in Texas, USA and thereafter they adopted the light blue and grey colour scheme that they carried until the end of their days. At the end most were placed in open storage but two survive as preserved machines in Honduras, one (FAH 2016) is in the Museo del Aire (Air Force Museum) in Tegucigalpa while the second (FAH 2003) is still at La Ceiba. Both have lost their genuine FAH colours.

This particular machine is FAH 2002 and she is modelled to represent her early in her FAH career. The main difference over time was the addition of new and differing antennae on the fin. She is, as you can see, marked in the standard US camouflage of the day. The weapons fit is based on the following image:

rfi1

This consisted of two Shafrirs and two LAU-68 rocket pods, plus the integral DEFA cannons. You can see in some images, though, that they also carried bombs (Israeli and Mk82) and even the Israeli MER. However,Alex @sosa_1991 whose father was a pilot and instructor on these aircraft, has told me that they never used the MERs operationally. From the following photo you can see, though, this machine did, at least, carry them at least once albeit with practice rounds. In fact, an image exists showing this same aircraft at an air show with 4 x MERs fully loaded with bombs! The SMB could carry a large payload but I reckon this might have pushed her limits if it had been tried in the air!

rfi4

These are my two reference images:

RFI2

rfi3

Alex has been very supportive of this build, guiding me with information from his father and with images. In return my first FAH Super Mystere build (an Azur) was shipped, via Miami, to Alex in Honduras where she now sits as part of his father’s air force memorabilia display. Thanks for all your help, Alex! 😊

This model is built using the Special Hobby kit (72345) as a base. A great, very detailed kit. My only criticism in its production is the slight mismatch in moulding that has resulted in many edges that need to be sanded and cleaned up. In engineering terms it would have benefited from having a different arrangement for the tail empennage. As a result, I had to butcher it a bit to get the drooped “hydraulics off” tailplane. Being more pedantic it would have been good to have separate speed brakes as these Israeli machines always had the brakes extended while on the ground – mandated. That aside she is a beauty!

What did I do/use? Well:

1.       Kit – Special Hobby Dassault Super Mystere B2 “Sa’ar” 1/72 (Kit No. 72345)

2.       Aftermarket/extras – The Shafrirs came from the Brassin set (672 217). The LAU-68 D/As came from the Special Hobby AH-1Q kit and the Speedbrakes are partly from the Eduard PE set (73 683). See my WIP for more on this. The seat is Aires and as close as I could find in the aftermarket.

3.       Decals – I am grateful, as always for the drawing expertise of @Giorgio N who drew up these decals as well as a full set for the remaining fleet plus the entire FAH Sabre 4 fleet. We then got these printed by Arctic Decals by suggestion from @Moa, to who I also extend my thanks. In addition I used kit stencils and some White stencils from the Microscale camouflaged F-4 set.

4.       Paints – As I do often, I used the excellent Colourcoats on this build. However, having expended one tin of FS2622 I discovered that the next was a different shade of grey. For decalling and weathering protection I used Humbrol Glosscote. The model finished in Humbrol Mattcote.

5.       Washes and Weathering – Flory dark dirt wash plus Tamiya Weathering Powders and a Prismacolor Silver pencil.

I hope you like her. I do, although I lost my enthusiasm for a while!

Martin

rfi10

rfi11

rfi12

rfi13

rfi15 rfi14

rfi16

• Like 55
  • Thanks 1

I've always thought the Super Mystere B.2 a very attractive airplane. While I might not be historically accurate, I see it as the French answer to the American F-100 Super Sabre, though I think the Super Mystere is the better looking of the two. Your model captures the character and elegance of the design wonderfully. What I can see of the cockpit shows it's very well done. Excellent paint work. You have something you can be very proud of.

Martin,

Well done for pushing through and crossing the finishing line, you've ended up with a great result, I shall definitely refer to your WIP thread when I find the time to make my kits.

Martin.............another outstanding presentation my friend!!!!!  I always enjoy the accompanying story behind the subject and of course, the subject itself!!!!!!!  :clap2: :goodjob:

Mike

Well, you've done it again, my friend! That is a beautiful B2! I know what you went through to depict the stabilizers at rest, but they turned out great! I am soooo impressed! Keep 'em coming! :like:

Mike

On 6/30/2020 at 3:23 PM, SAT69 said:

I've always thought the Super Mystere B.2 a very attractive airplane. While I might not be historically accurate, I see it as the French answer to the American F-100 Super Sabre, though I think the Super Mystere is the better looking of the two. Your model captures the character and elegance of the design wonderfully. What I can see of the cockpit shows it's very well done. Excellent paint work. You have something you can be very proud of.

Thank you, mate. For the the SMB is a more elegant machine than the utilitarian-looking F-100 but then everyone's entitled to their own view ;)

On 6/30/2020 at 3:47 PM, Giorgio N said:

Looking great Martin ! All the work you put into this model was well worth it, the result is stunning

Thank you Giorgio. Without your help, and that of Mika, I couldn't have done it.

On 6/30/2020 at 4:44 PM, Wez said:

Martin,

Well done for pushing through and crossing the finishing line, you've ended up with a great result, I shall definitely refer to your WIP thread when I find the time to make my kits.

Yes, mate, I got there! :). There are a few little niggles to also be aware of so keep watching ;)

On 6/30/2020 at 4:59 PM, binbrook87 said:

Wow! That is superb! Fantastic build and paintwork 👍

Thanks mate

On 6/30/2020 at 7:52 PM, Wulfman said:

Super Super Mystere, looks beautiful, great work !

Wulfman

Much appreciated, mate.

22 hours ago, Sky Keg said:

Martin.............another outstanding presentation my friend!!!!!  I always enjoy the accompanying story behind the subject and of course, the subject itself!!!!!!!  :clap2: :goodjob:

Mike

You are too kind, Mike. I'm glad my lengthy text was appreciated.

22 hours ago, 72modeler said:

Well, you've done it again, my friend! That is a beautiful B2! I know what you went through to depict the stabilizers at rest, but they turned out great! I am soooo impressed! Keep 'em coming! :like:

Mike

Yes, Mike, I'm glad I persevered with the stabilisers. :). I very pleased that you like her.

15 hours ago, Courageous said:

Nice and sharp Martin. Good job.

Stuart

Thanks Stuart. There are a few rough edges but overall I'm pleased with her.

13 hours ago, F-32 said:

Really great work :clap:

Thanks, as always, for your  comments. :)

Martin

• Thanks 1

Once again Martin never ceases to astound me, this project has been on his table for some time and it was certainly worth the wait. Its always pleasant to see that talented modellers from around the world take their time in recreating a machine that my father flew for well over 17 years. As soon as i got the email from Martin I showed the images to my dad Cnel. (r) Francisco Edgardo Sosa Mass and two very close family friends whom flew alongside my dad in the Super Mystere ever since it arrived in Honduras in 1976.  My father just took a deep breath through his nostrils as soon as he saw the Jet, and immediately was taken back to his active years of service. My father praises the work, attention to detail and the thought that went into this project.

The Super Mystere was without doubt an impressive machine and my father and all FAH pilots crossed in pairs literally every day the Nicaraguan border in their Mysteres from 1981-1985 patrolling the coast for the supposed shipment of Mig 21 Fishbed that were going to come from Cuba. My father along with Maj. Lopez Andino during Operacion Danto  performed the only two logged kills downing an MI 24 Hind, and an MIL MI 8 using cannon rounds and 1 Shafrir Missile.

Once again Martin on behalf of me and my father thank you very much for such beautiful work and keep it up my friend!

Spoiler
Spoiler

Well done, Martin! You can't ask for any reward greater than bringing back memories for the man who flew the subject of your tribute model. You should be especially proud of this one! :like:

Mike

• Like 1

On 7/1/2020 at 11:51 PM, Ignacio said:

Beautiful work my friend!

Best regards

Ignacio

Thank you, Ignacio.

On 7/2/2020 at 9:23 PM, sosa_1991 said:

Once again Martin never ceases to astound me, this project has been on his table for some time and it was certainly worth the wait. Its always pleasant to see that talented modellers from around the world take their time in recreating a machine that my father flew for well over 17 years. As soon as i got the email from Martin I showed the images to my dad Cnel. (r) Francisco Edgardo Sosa Mass and two very close family friends whom flew alongside my dad in the Super Mystere ever since it arrived in Honduras in 1976.  My father just took a deep breath through his nostrils as soon as he saw the Jet, and immediately was taken back to his active years of service. My father praises the work, attention to detail and the thought that went into this project.

The Super Mystere was without doubt an impressive machine and my father and all FAH pilots crossed in pairs literally every day the Nicaraguan border in their Mysteres from 1981-1985 patrolling the coast for the supposed shipment of Mig 21 Fishbed that were going to come from Cuba. My father along with Maj. Lopez Andino during Operacion Danto  performed the only two logged kills downing an MI 24 Hind, and an MIL MI 8 using cannon rounds and 1 Shafrir Missile.

Once again Martin on behalf of me and my father thank you very much for such beautiful work and keep it up my friend!

Reveal hidden contents
  Reveal hidden contents

Wow, Alex! That is praise indeed but I feel embarrassed because there are many who far exceed my skills and application. However, I do things as they suit me and my tastes. I'm so

pleased that you, your father and his air force friends like my work. :). WE will, of course, keep in touch! I owe you a Sabre :).

23 hours ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

@sosa_1991: Your comments are the ultimate compliment to any modeler, and further proof (if any was needed) that this is a superbly executed build.  Beautiful Job, Ridgerunner!

Thanks mate

21 hours ago, 72modeler said:

Well done, Martin! You can't ask for any reward greater than bringing back memories for the man who flew the subject of your tribute model. You should be especially proud of this one! :like:

Mike

Hi Mike! I am humbled for sure. :). It certainly is praise of the highest calibre. :)

Martin 

Best regards

Ignacio

Thank you, Ignacio.

Reveal hidden contents
  Reveal hidden contents

Wow, Alex! That is praise indeed but I feel embarrassed because there are many who far exceed my skills and application. However, I do things as they suit me and my tastes. I'm so

pleased that you, your father and his air force friends like my work. :). WE will, of course, keep in touch! I owe you a Sabre :).

23 hours ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

@sosa_1991: Your comments are the ultimate compliment to any modeler, and further proof (if any was needed) that this is a superbly executed build.  Beautiful Job, Ridgerunner!

Thanks mate

Mike

Hi Mike! I am humbled for sure. :). It certainly is praise of the highest calibre. :)

Martin 

Best regards

Ignacio

Thanks a million

Reveal hidden contents
  Reveal hidden contents

Wow, thank you, Alex! I am embarrassed, though, because others have skills and application beyond mine. I am very happy with my builds and I am so glad that you, your father and his friends are too :). We will keep in touch! I owe you a Sabre, after all! :)

On 7/2/2020 at 11:18 PM, TheyJammedKenny! said:

Thanks mate

Mike

You're right there, Mike :). I am humbled well and truly :)

Martin 

15 hours ago, Linescriber said:

Absolutely immaculate rendition of a beautiful aircraft

Thanks mate

12 hours ago, Mig88 said:

Suberb job!! Very nicely finished!

Miguel

Thank you, Miguel

Martin

Martin, I've just took time to read your RFI text. 

I have to say It's admirable the level of atention you pay to the history and details on every build you do. This one is no exception. 

Also this is a top build, very neat and detailed. That open canopy looks super delicate and scale realistic and the extra work on the stabilators is great. 

I hope you regain your enthusiasm soon. 

I'm always looking forward to your projects. 

Saludos desde Uruguay! 

Ignacio

Hi Ignacio! @Ignacio

I try to include as much background information as I can. To me it is an essential part of the build. 

You are right about the delicate canopy. It is better than many but still a bit of a balancing act. During photography I caught it with my finger and it moved a little. A repair job to deal with! 

Rest assured that I am back to normal Now :). I have two builds underway with many more planned!

all my best,

Martin