Matilda II Colour Possibilities

Kingsman

I have a hankering to depict a Matilda (a IV CS) in SCC1A over SCC2.  I saw one modelled thus at a show back in saner times and liked it very much.  Not a scheme that Matildas are often seen modelled in.  And here is my concern.

Is it accurate?  The tail end of Matilda production crossed over over with the colour change from Khaki Green 3 to SCC2, but with instructions to use up existing paint stock were any Matildas actually turned out in SCC2?  Tanks in use in the UK would not routinely have been repainted until or unless they needed it, assuming the instructions were being followed.

Mike Starmer has pointed out in other posts that SCC2 was formulated to give the same reflectance as Khaki Green 3.  So this potentially means that SCC2 and KG3 might show as the same shade in monochrome photos, making discrimination difficult. Two-tone brown could potentially look like 2-tone green.

Thoughts, anyone?

If it is held to be an accurate Matilda scheme, does anyone have any idea of any units who may have had it in that scheme?

I suppose Plan B is Green G4 over Khaki Green 3.  Don't want to do desert or Far East and I already have a Valentine V to do in Malta rubble colours.

One thought to consider is that the Matilda CDL Battalions based in the UK retained Matildas until mid-1943 and the battalions had a couple of CS in the Regimental and Sqn HQs (plus the Troop Leader's tank in each Troop was a standard Matilda gun tank rather than a CDL).

The UK option (SCC2/SCC1a) in the Tamiya kit is provided with the markings of 49 RTR, one of the CDL battalions assigned to 35th Army Tank Brigade). Whether or not is it accurate for the vehicle is debatable but given that they used them until mid 1943 at least offers the possibility that such a combination existed.

John

Edited by John Tapsell