HobbyBoss WMIK Landrover

HI

Due to lockdown, I thought I'd restart modelling - first time in about 20 years. Settled on the HobbyBoss WMIK Landrover. Let me know your thoughts - but be gentle!

spacer.png

I added various bergans and daysacs from other kits - painted a mix of DPM and MTP

y4muw4NlU78140EqjgX184W_0h2j0JPRoZNXgjZV

Pleased with the MTP on the daysac and webbing but on the figures I think I made the base coat a bit too green.

spacer.png

Various strapping made from painted masking tape.

y4mc0aYzLZd1hVkyAkxC94JPUd1-yxMIwXEMk4SP

The kit puts the spare tyre on the bonnet but moved it to the roll cage and made a kit basket out of plastic covered wire. Also used a lot of reference images and so created hessian covers for the headlamps and a towing strop wrapped around the bumper. Not too good with the old paint chipping but added some chips showing the original green underneath the sand.

y4mzeiUujp2ZmEYUUt6G-2CGRG3d6-C3oEhxF1Uj

Typically out of focus but probably one of the most pleasing elements was making the cam net. Adapted something I found on another forum and painted tissue paper with a mix of paint and PVA glue, then had a u-shaped artists lino cutting tool and made hundreds of interlinked cuts. These can then be teased out and it's the most realistic cam net I've seen - if I say so myself!

• Like 14

Excellent job. If you have an airbrush, maybe give the whole thing, blokes included, a very dilute spray with buff or sand to get that all over dusty look? 

On 01/07/2020 at 07:47, Jasper dog said:

Nice work, cam nets have worked out rather well haven't they.

:goodjob:

Atb

Darryl 

Cheers Darryl - it took a long time but I think it's worth the effort. Better than just netting with flock glued to it!

• Like 1

On 04/07/2020 at 09:43, IanC said:

Excellent job. If you have an airbrush, maybe give the whole thing, blokes included, a very dilute spray with buff or sand to get that all over dusty look? 

Thanks Ian - never got on with airbrushes unfortunately - have tried but just can't get to grips with them, so everything is hand painted

Very nice job :) . I understand this is a 1/35 model, it certainly looks a very impressive model. I must agree, that netting is wonderful!

As suggestion, some dusting with drybrush over the soldiers would make them look more realistic, as they look a bit as if they have just arrived fresh from home. 

Finally, that canvas over the lights puzzles me, it is done to protect the lights in the desert? or to avoid giving too much glare? I have never seen such a thing in a modern vehicle. 

On 12/07/2020 at 14:44, Xantippos said:

Very nice job :) . I understand this is a 1/35 model, it certainly looks a very impressive model. I must agree, that netting is wonderful!

As suggestion, some dusting with drybrush over the soldiers would make them look more realistic, as they look a bit as if they have just arrived fresh from home. 

Finally, that canvas over the lights puzzles me, it is done to protect the lights in the desert? or to avoid giving too much glare? I have never seen such a thing in a modern vehicle. 

Old soldiers trick, the Hessian stops glare as you rightly point out. I've also seen land rovers, especially recce one's with Hessian screens along the whole length of the vehicle and these are rolled down when in a hide to reduce the under vehicle shadows.