1/32 ICM Polikarpov I-153 Chaika

Dear all,

I normally build WW1 aircraft so this is a bit of a departure for me but I now intend to open my genre into biplanes generally including WW2 types.  This is in part due to the demise of Wingnut Wings so has made me look at building other aircraft types and eras,

I have therefor completed ICM's boxing of the I-153 in Chinese Nationalist markings as used in the 2nd Sino Japanese war of the late 1930's.   This Chinese used Chaika dates from 1940.

This is a really nice kit that goes together generally well although there are a few areas of less than perfect fit that required some shimming with sections of plastic sheet before using filler.  Decals from the kit are great.

Not the most elegant of biplanes, but there is really something about the look of this squat radial engine fighter that appealed to me.

Built totally OOB (not overly familiar with this type) and brush painted.  

I hope you like!

Regards

Dave

IifFmjV.jpg

XUilru1.jpg

1PziqkQ.jpg

JBgz4u0.jpg

TonmmZH.jpg

geB4D3u.jpg

Gt3oHaM.jpg

sAA0LCl.jpg

8FKthmZ.jpg

MQxzWmj.jpg

2FT2VW0.jpg

• Like 18

Really neat build of a very unusual looking aircraft. It seems essentially to be a small biplane attached to a huge radial engine.  I'm not familiar with the type either so it is great to see it modelled. Especially to this high standard!

Richie

• Thanks 1

Yup did a fantastic job on this and glad to hear that you are going to branch out into other bi-planes.  Love the colorful between the war aircraft when you can find them but they can be rare in 1/32 - but they do exist.  And given the popularity of the scale I am sure we will see more offered in the future.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

That is a superb finish Dave - the more so as it is with a hairy stick. Being a fan of the obscure and unusual it is really interesting to see one of the lesser known aircraft modelled. It certainly would not top the charts for aesthetic appeal but it is an interesting shape nonetheless. The weathering and general look of wear is just right - not overdone at all. Nice to see less represented markings too. Looking forward to more biplanes from your hangar.

P

• Thanks 1