Airfix 1/48 Sea Fury Fb.11 Export

Hi all,

This is my first 1/48th scale aircraft. It's been a fair learning curve, lots of filling and sanding and even then I missed a few bits. 

I'm currently having massive issues using Johnson's Klear. Never had the issue on smaller parts or 1/72 kits but in the wing roots the texture is pretty much like sandpaper. I guess that's where the grip covering would be so I could claim I did it on purpose! Any ideas

how to recover the model or indeed what causes it?

I have some 4000/6000 micro mesh but I'm worried about taking the paint off.

Hopefully you'll be able to view the FlickR album below for the build so far!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lfxdan/albums/72157714918327947

• Like 3

Looks awesome! I did the 1/72 Airfix Sea Fury years ago and would like to revisit the type to see if I can do a better job of it now. I have the PM models trainer version in the stash, I think it's a variation on the old Airfix kit, it's pretty crude but there are some aftermarket bits I could use to tart it up a bit.

spacer.png

• Like 1

I used to get a rough, grainy surface at the wingroots. It's caused by the turbulent airflow from spraying at a ninety degree angle into the pocket formed by the wing and fuselage, To avoid in the future, try spraying more parallel to the fuselage. (try visualizing giving the air and overspray an escape route, rather than swirling around against the wall formed by the fuselage)

About your current problem. I find that the pebbly finish is usually sitting on the surface, and can be removed with gentle sanding (or wet sanding) using your finest grade sandpaper or cloth. 

However - I hope the roughness is in the Klear, not the underlying paint! When it's smooth, you will have to refinish with Klear, as above.

Remember - this is SUPPOSED to be fun!

• Like 2

Looks good in the photos 👍

I can't see the problem via your photos but I have read reports about Johnson's Klear causing various issues. 

Keep.it going!

Cheers Greg

• Like 1

On 6/30/2020 at 3:42 PM, GREG DESTEC said:

Looks good in the photos 👍

I can't see the problem via your photos but I have read reports about Johnson's Klear causing various issues. 

Keep.it going!

Cheers Greg

Thanks Greg, in hindsight I fluffed up. I was using a bottle of klear that I've had since 2003 and it had become thick and syrup like. I've since used a new bottle (now called Pledge) and it's gone on so nicely. Bit late now, all the decals have severley silvered but in the right light and angle you can't see it. I'll chalk this one up as experience. Get your surface right before decals! Although I think it would have been better to apply decals straight on the paintwork as that was so smooth. 

• Like 1

On 6/30/2020 at 3:39 PM, Tail-Dragon said:

I used to get a rough, grainy surface at the wingroots. It's caused by the turbulent airflow from spraying at a ninety degree angle into the pocket formed by the wing and fuselage, To avoid in the future, try spraying more parallel to the fuselage. (try visualizing giving the air and overspray an escape route, rather than swirling around against the wall formed by the fuselage)

About your current problem. I find that the pebbly finish is usually sitting on the surface, and can be removed with gentle sanding (or wet sanding) using your finest grade sandpaper or cloth. 

However - I hope the roughness is in the Klear, not the underlying paint! When it's smooth, you will have to refinish with Klear, as above.

Remember - this is SUPPOSED to be fun!

Thanks for the advice, it seems I got this issue as you described but not helped by some really old thick Klear. The new stuff has since levelled the surface out plus I used some 6000 grade micromesh to try to smooth it out but then paint started to come up. Odd as the paint layer was very smooth. Oh well! She's going to get finished either way. Cheers!