Hawker Hunter F.6

I thought I'd have a rest from aeroplanes with propellers and build my first jet. And what better to start with than the legendary Hawker Hunter, I remember seeing these when I was a bit younger, beautiful aeroplane. You have to admit, that when we Brits put our mind to producing memorable aeroplanes, we do it with style. Let’s hope I can do a good job with this kit, my attempt at my Zero was ok, my latest attempt at the Hurricane was a complete disaster. If it could go wrong then it did, as someone said, some kits just don't play fair.

Anyway, here are the instrument panel and ejector seat, with many thanks to @Troy Smith for pointing me in the right direction with regards the seat belts.

spacer.png

The belts and instrument panel are Eduard PE.

spacer.png

Edited by Faraway
  • Like 8

Classy looking plane the Hunter. My next build is going to be a t.7. Will follow your progress with interest. That seatbelt is quite a contraption!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Back in the Saddle said:

This kit arrived in my post today - early birthday present! 😉

Will follow this one.👍

Welcome.

I’ll try and do it justice, I try to build a bit everyday, so I’ll post photos when I do.

Jon

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TonyOD said:

Classy looking plane the Hunter. My next build is going to be a t.7. Will follow your progress with interest. That seatbelt is quite a contraption!

I got very confused with the instructions for the seat belts, but @Troy Smith came to my rescue, with this info.

“ejector seats have two sets of belts,  one straps you into the seat, the other is the parachute harness, they are different colours as you really don't want to  mix them up!

the blue are for the seat, buff are the chute straps”

Edited by Faraway
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Back in the Saddle said:

Sounds good! I've treated myself to some AM goodies for mine too, which is a first - I usually build OOB.

Looking forward to seeing your progress on this one - the Hunter is a beautiful aircraft.

What have you got ?

22 minutes ago, Faraway said:

I got very confused with the instructions for the seat belts, but @Troy Smith came to my rescue, with this info.

“ejector seats have two sets of belts,  one straps you into the seat, the other is the parachute harness, they are different colours as you really don't want to  mix them up!

the blue are for the seat, buff are the chute straps”

And all that in 1/72! 🤪

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, TonyOD said:

And all that in 1/72! 🤪

Hah, I wish. Would save me a fortune, and give me more space. I struggle to see 1/48, I’d need a microscope for 1/72 😜😜😜😜

1 hour ago, Back in the Saddle said:

An Aires resin cockpit, Eduard flaps and a Brengun ladder. I’m reasonably confident about the resin, but a complete beginner with PE - time to bite the bullet and have a go with it!

I’ve only used a little resin, not keen. But I do like PE, although most of what I put into cockpits disappears. Seat belts are my usual, with the occasional instrument panel. I used to use CA glue, but developed a sensitivity to it, so now use epoxy, pva or uv glues.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Faraway said:

Hah, I wish. Would save me a fortune, and give me more space. I struggle to see 1/48, I’d need a microscope for 1/72 😜😜😜😜

Ooops my mistake!

• Like 1

Day two of the build and moving on quite quickly. Finished the cockpit and installed in the fuselage, which was then glued together. Remembering to put in the nose weight BEFORE gluing the halves together. 

I read or heard somewhere, that assembling the wing upper surface to the fuselage can be problematic. The only problem I had was getting it off after I dry fitted it, a very snug fit and has glued on well.

So, now it's looking like a Hunter.

Jon.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

The nose weight is in two parts, one under the seat and the other behind it. I thought it made sense to get it as far forward as possible.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 7

A few more bits and bobs done today.

Once I'd finished the cockpit, assembling the rest was very quick and straight forward. And everything fitted together well, not like some Airfix kits I've built.

The plan for tomorrow is to paint the underside silver, not sure whether to do it dull or bright, what do you all reckon ?

Jon

First one then the other lower skins on the wings.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Then the tail is finished.

spacer.png

Followed by, what I presume are the gun blisters.

spacer.png

And finally the application of masking tape. the camouflage from the top surfaces appears on the leading edge of the lower surface, so a thin strip of tape applied.

spacer.png

And the top, all covered up. And the drop tanks.

spacer.png

• Like 1

Good progress so far, I’m just about to start an F5 in Suez markings. The underside should be ‘ high speed silver ‘ which was semi -gloss. I will be using Tamiya Flat Aluminium on mine, thinned with cellulose thinner it usually turns out semi-gloss for me.

John

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Biggles87 said:

Good progress so far, I’m just about to start an F5 in Suez markings. The underside should be ‘ high speed silver ‘ which was semi -gloss. I will be using Tamiya Flat Aluminium on mine, thinned with cellulose thinner it usually turns out semi-gloss for me.

John

I’ve got some Vallejo Metal Colour ‘semi Matt aluminium’ which I used on a Nieuport. Think I’ll give it a go.

Jon

• Like 1

About 25 years ago at Farnborough the static display included one of the pre-production Lightnings, the one with the fillet ahead of the fin, and it was grey due to oxidation and weathering, but it had taken a long time to get like that.

John

Not much done today.

Just a coat of silver on the underside, not sure if it's an accurate shade, but I like it. Once the paint has hardened off, I'll mask it and give the top side a coat of Sea Grey in preparation for the Dark Green camo.

Jon

spacer.png

spacer.png

6 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

About 25 years ago at Farnborough the static display included one of the pre-production Lightnings, the one with the fillet ahead of the fin, and it was grey due to oxidation and weathering, but it had taken a long time to get like that.

John

That lightning is still at Farnbourgh at the FAST facility , its  XS420

https://www.thunder-and-lightnings.co.uk/lightning/survivor.php?id=186