Ultimate airbrush cleaner - replacement bottle works perfectly

Mark Harmsworth

I have a new bottle of Ultimate airbrush cleaner having been very happy with the last bottle. Now I am having problems that I've not had before in getting the airbrush clean.

I use acrylics and my first new problem was that cleaning Xtracylix from the cup caused the paint to disintegrate into little pieces rather than being wiped off. A pain but I stuck with it. This happened several times.

Today I've used Ultimate primer straight from the bottle (as recommended on the bottle) and the Ultimate cleaner wouldn't budge it at all from the cup. It was as though the airbrush cup had been primed! In the end I used Ultimate thinner - which shifted some of the paint. At this point I realised I have a problem.

My technique is to break the airbrush down as soon as I finish the painting session and to use a cotton bud soaked in the cleaner. I've used this method over almost ten years now with various cleaners and with the previous bottle of the Ultimate cleaner this worked fine.

My view at the moment is that I may have a duff bottle (from a duff batch perhaps) and I should contact the supplier (Ultimate Modelling Products).

Any thoughts appreciated.

Mark

7 minutes ago, MarkH206 said:

My view at the moment is that I may have a duff bottle (from a duff batch perhaps) and I should contact the supplier (Ultimate Modelling Products).

I think you're probably on the mark there.  Have a word with Lee and the gang, and I'm sure they'll sort you out.  I've used their stuff pretty much since they started trading, and never had an issue. :)

Also, remember that IPA (one of the components of their products) has gone through a period of shortage and price-gouging due to the virus, and they could have been sold a batch of diluted ingredients that wasn't noticable without complex testing.  That's utterly baseless hypothesising on my part though, but it's possible :hmmm:

• Like 1

I've had something similar, first bottle good, second bottle much like you, required a fair agitation and little bits of paint, the paint being Ammo Mig, Mr Hobby Aqueous and Tamiya.

For me it happen a good while ago now and at the time I was starting to use Mr Hobby colour, which this cleaner won't touch.  I switched to Mr Tool which cleans everything, so rarely use UAC and didn't bother contacting ISM.  Oddly looking at mine the blue has also faded, very odd.     

They've replied to my query:

"Hi Mark

Sorry to hear you’re having a problem with one of our products!  It does indeed sound like you may have a duff bottle for some reason!  Apologies for that.

If you could supply me with your order number or name of the account on our site.  Ill get a replacement sent out to you ASAP.

All the best

Lee Larholt

Director"

Good customer service I think.

Mark

• Mark Harmsworth changed the title to Ultimate airbrush cleaner - replacement bottle works perfectly

An update:

Two (yes two) replacement bottles arrived today. I did a quick test and it removed un-thinned ultimate primer perfectly. I've sent a 'thank you' email.

I took a photo as there seems to be a clear difference between the bottles:

ziRMqk0l.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

After your recent post, I thought I'd try mine again and sure enough just as it was turned the paint into lumps and wouldn't touch the paint on the wall of the colour cup.  

Mine looks like your lighter 2 bottles, all very odd, probably a bit too late now for me to contact them.