Newbie question...

TonyOD

7 minutes ago, TonyOD said:

...forgive my ignorance, but if a GB is a Group Build, what's an STGB?

Thanks

Groub build is a themed build, STGB, Is a Single Type Group build around a single type (example the current Spitfire STGB) or narrow family of aircraft such as the recent Lancaster STGB, which also included the Manchester,  Lancastrian, York and Lincoln 

Edited by PhantomBigStu
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, PhantomBigStu said:

Groub build is a themed build, STGB, Is a Single Type Group build around a single type (example the current Spitfire STGB) or narrow family of aircraft such as the recent Lancaster STGB, which also included the Manchester,  Lancastrian, York and Lincoln 

Makes sense. Thank you.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TonyOD said:

...forgive my ignorance, but if a GB is a Group Build, what's an STGB?

Thanks

7 hours ago, PhantomBigStu said:

GB's (and STGB's), are our version of a club build.

As an example, once a year we have what's called a Classic GB, these are given over to kits by a specific manufacturer, in the past we've had Matchbox, Airfix and Frog Classic GB's, this year's Classic GB is the Heller Classic GB open to any kit originally moulded by Heller up until 31 Dec 1985, that's any of their kits in anybody's box.

The most inclusive GB's tend to be those featuring a specific nation or campaign, for instance the proposed French Fancy 2 GB is open to anything French made or used by the French, the previous iteration included cars, AFVs, figures, a submarine as well as aircraft.  Personally, I prefer this type of GB as you can learn lots of new and fascinating things reading other modellers build threads.

If you model to a specific theme e,g, Fleet Air Arm, you might want to investigate modelling in that theme in an STGB, so for instance, the FAA used the Harvard so you might want to join the proposed Harvard/Texan STGB.

One thing GB's aren't is a competition, they're open to modellers of all abilities and knowledge, everyone's very encouraging, they're about having fun around a common theme.

P.S  You might notice that I've shamelessly plugged my own GB's or proposals during this explanation, somebody was bound to do it so why not me?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, helios16v said:

And welcome to GBs @TonyOD.  It's an addictive little corner of BM.....one of which some of us never leave.  :whistle:

Leave... Where? A scary thought. Welcome to the gang and as it's said (sung), you can check out any time you like but you can never leave

• Haha 5

Thanks @Wez for all that background! I was eyeing up the upcoming classic GB... there is a very cheap Smer Corsair kit that I believe is ex-Heller that might allow me to put a toe in the water and stay within my FAA obsession. I did a Corsair recently (Airfix) but it was a bit of a mutt and I'm sure I could do one better...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TonyOD said:

Thanks @Wez for all that background! I was eyeing up the upcoming classic GB... there is a very cheap Smer Corsair kit that I believe is ex-Heller that might allow me to put a toe in the water and stay within my FAA obsession. I did a Corsair recently (Airfix) but it was a bit of a mutt and I'm sure I could do one better...

The SMER kit is indeed the old Heller kit, check out @John Masters build in the current F4U Corsair GB.  It would be very welcome in the Heller Classic GB.

• Thanks 2

Still two months left in the Corsair build and you're very welcome to join. Yes im plugging my own build here. Im not very hard on anyone so you wont even need to finish it. If you just want to start and see what its like. We’re all about the fun and conversation, and if something gets glued in the meantime well thats a bonus. 

Dennis

PS - If you're into Tanks at all Im hosting the Panther STGB in the fall. The more the merrier i say. Yes I'm unashamedly plugging another group build I'm hosting.

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Still two months left in the Corsair build and you're very welcome to join.

Thanks Dennis, I'll see how I get along with my current build and if there is a month of space the other side I'll probably have a crack. (I'm that slow!)

• Like 2

Now that you're on the forum, you also will have to endure some bad humor sometimes.

7 hours ago, Mike said:

...but if you start showing us pictures of your PP, we might have to ban you :shocked:

Chris

• Haha 3
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, TonyOD said:

John Masters' build sets the bar pretty high!

Thank you and I'm flattered you think so...there are so many modellers here on BM that leave my jaw on the floor...so many.  Museum quality stuff.  Like I say, mine are best viewed from 75cm away!  

7 hours ago, stevej60 said:

I've been stuck here for years:tumble:

Who else would take me?  😁

• Like 2

7 hours ago, dogsbody said:

you also will have to endure some bad humor sometimes.

Yes...like injections.  It only hurts for a second...😊

So welcome aboard Tony.  Have fun.  And remember, it's only a model!  😃

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, trickyrich said:

....and if they were DD's!  :yikes:

Of course it also helps to be slightly mad....though if you do enough GB/STGB's you'll end up mad anyway! :D

SHHHHHHHHHH !!! 🤫 We Dont want to scare off new members to the Britmodeller giggling academ... Er Group build section. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 2