Airfix BAC 1-11 - FINISHED

My second build in this GB is the Airfix 1/144 BAC 1-11. I built one of these when I was about 8 or 9, didn't paint it, but used the British Caledonian decals. This time it's going to be converted to a 1-11-500 and painted as G-AVMR of British Airways - this is a significant aircraft for me as it was the first jet I flew on, aged 7 - I'd flown on plenty of Viscounts at that age, but a jet flight was exciting for 7-year old me.

Here's the kit:

BAC 1-11-500 WIP

Not a lot of parts, and (as always seems to be the case) smaller than I remember. The Airfix kit is based on the prototype and will need a few changes to make it a 500: The main modifications are to add 18mm to the forward fuselage and 10.5mm to the rear fuselage, and 5mm to each wingtip. It also needs the nose cone reprofiling (it needs to be pointier), the wing fences need to be moved, and an APU exhaust needs to be added to the tail cone. And probably a couple of other mods.

Started yesterday by cutting the fuselage up:

BAC 1-11-500 WIP

Then put some rolled-up plastic card in the gaps and applied suplerglue. Then I realised I'd made possibly the most ridiculous modelling mistake ever:

BAC 1-11-500 WIP

That's right, it's the BACwards 1-11!

Cut apart again, centre section turned the right way around, stuck together and milliputed and here's how it looks now:

BAC 1-11-500 WIP

Also filled the windows. I'm sure there were windows in the kit 30 odd years ago, but not in this boxing. I'll do the nose job next, then on to the wings. 

more tomorrow

Julian

• Like 18
  • Haha 1

Hi Julian,

Built this not long after it came out - British United markings I think. Like you I was surprised how small the original version was.

Should look good.

Pete

• Thanks 1

My aunt and uncle lived in Willington near Bedford in the 1970s and 80s and the RAE 1-11 in its distinctive yellow colour scheme could often be seen operating out of Thurleigh. 

There must have been an approach that crossed the village as it often flew over the house low, loud and gear down. I remember the extended exhaust silencers being particularly apparent. 

There was an article on building that particular aircraft in an Airfix Magazine Annual, if I'm remembering correctly. The only version of this kit I ever built was one in the original markings  - British United?

• Like 2

A bit more cleaning up and some Milliput on the nose:

1-11 WIP

Also started on the wings, but only got as far as sticking them together and adding some filler.

more tomorrow

Julian

• Like 9

Flew in a Dan Dare version in 1978 or thereabouts. Approaching Lagos (Portugal) there was a Caledonian Tristar (?) that sneaked in front, causing the pilot to abort.  After what I can only describe as a lazy eight we landed on the runway with the (not very strong) wind. Recent ex Bomber Command pilot, lots of white knuckles, kids vomiting etc. I really enjoyed it, especially the curved approach !

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

Brave admission of your mistake!

Sometimes you just have to own your stuff-ups!

I actually remember thinking "better make sure I don't stick this in the wrong way round" just after I'd cut up the fuselage. And then went and did exactly that. And got as far as photographing it to share with everyone on BM, and then starting with the Milliput, before I had that "hang on a minute" moment!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Nose re-profiling done. A while ago I was contemplating buying the two-six resin replacement nose - it wasn't available so I forgot about it - but doing it with Milliput is pretty straightforward.  I've also added the APU exhaust - this was originally part of a spare exhaust from an Eduard Spitfire. All looks ok under primer - think I can move on from the fuselage now. 

I've made some progress on the wings - wingtip extensions done, and I've removed the wing fences and started reprofiling the flap track fairings.

BAC 1-11 WIP

I think this is my favourite kind of modelling. I'm finding state of the art kits that go together easily pretty dull at the moment - 6 of the 7 builds I've finished so far this year have been conversions and I don't think I've enjoyed my modelling this much in ages.

more tomorrow

Julian

• Like 12

1 hour ago, Dansk said:

Looking great Julian. Is the fuselage like 2,5 cm diameter or so judging by the cutting mat grid?

Thanks Dansk - yes that would be about the right size - it's a pretty small model

Wings cleaned up and engines on. The pylons don't fit all that well - if I was designing the kit the join wouldn't be in the middle of the pylon - so I'm using Milliput to fix them up.

BAC 1-11 WIP

Should get the wings on and maybe even start painting tomorrow.

cheers

Julian

• Like 10