Oberon Class submarine markings

Pappy

G'day people,

I am currently building a 1/350 RAN Oberon Class submarine.

I was hoping someone might have pictures or drawing for the locations of the draft markings?

cheers,

Pappy

• Like 1

Can’t help with your request but the most recent copy of the IPMS (UK) magazine came through the door today. It includes a build of HMS Opossum in an Operation Granby scheme - usual black but with a light blue disruptive camouflage over the top and a shark mouth.

If I remember correctly on RN O Boats the fwd draft marks were just aft of the Foreplanes and the After draftmarks just aft of the Diesel exhaust all were painted red

the bottom of the number was the draft in feet Half way up the number was plus 6 inches top of the number the next complete foot, ie water up to the bottom

of say the number 17 = draft 17 feet, water halfway up the 17 = 17 feet 6 inches, water at the top of the 17 = 18 feet if that makes sense, spent many a cold rainy night checking them every hour, happy days.

On ‎7‎/‎1‎/‎2020 at 5:23 AM, iainpeden said:

Can’t help with your request but the most recent copy of the IPMS (UK) magazine came through the door today. It includes a build of HMS Opossum in an Operation Granby scheme - usual black but with a light blue disruptive camouflage over the top and a shark mouth.

G'day Iain,

Thanks, Ken (Flankerman) completed his O=boat in this very scheme some time ago.  If I ever get another 1/350 O-boat, I will have a crack at that scheme as well

7 hours ago, whitestar12chris said:

Pappy googled RAN Oberon pics, no markings visible from what i could see (looked at quite a few photos) checked RN as well, no markings.

All the best Chris

1 hour ago, dolphin38 said:

If I remember correctly on RN O Boats the fwd draft marks were just aft of the Foreplanes and the After draftmarks just aft of the Diesel exhaust all were painted red

the bottom of the number was the draft in feet Half way up the number was plus 6 inches top of the number the next complete foot, ie water up to the bottom

of say the number 17 = draft 17 feet, water halfway up the 17 = 17 feet 6 inches, water at the top of the 17 = 18 feet if that makes sense, spent many a cold rainy night checking them every hour, happy days.

G'day fellas,

Thanks very much. Trolling through my reference pics and thse other posted, I agree with you on the positions and while taking a closer look in the places mentioned, I can see that the marking are a dull red - amazing wha you can see when you are actually looking for something!

My  next problem is sourcing these red markings. I could use some white marks but that just looks wrong so unless I can find someone to print them I fear I may have come to a standstill

cheers,

Pappy

• Like 2

Have you ever tried printing your own?  If you have access to a colour laser printer its easy, if you only have an inkjet it's a bit of a faff and the results are not as good but still doable.  The time it gets really difficult is when you need white markings as you need an ALPS printer for that and they're expensive

I have no idea where you'd source the paper from in Oz but there are lots of companies in UK who sell it, available in both white and clear background.

in the ideal world you'd use a proper drawing programme like Adobe Illustrator or Corel Draw but I no longer have access to the former and my version of the latter hasn't worked since I upgraded from WInXP about 10 years ago so these days I just use the drawing function in PowerPoint.  Draw it up large, save as a picture then re-import the picture and scale it to the size you want.

Good luck