FINISHED: Lynx AH Mk 1 - Airfix 1/72

(I missed the Gallery Deadline but there are some finished photos in the final post)

I see there are a couple of Lynxes already so I hope nobody minds if I join in with mine. 

IMG_20200629_225815793.jpg

If Scalemates is to be believed, this originally came out in 1976 but this is a 1995 boxing. The earlier boxings actually called it Lynx AH Mk 1 rather than "Army Lynx", and interestingly the original ones with this box art had another chopper behind and below this one firing rockets on those tanks (one of which was burning off a big plume of black smoke).

I wonder why that was changed? To make the box less warlike? Or because after the Gulf War the Lynx might not have been quite the tank-buster the first box art made it out to be? Or maybe the earlier picture was just a bit too full. A strange little mystery.

Anyway it's just what you'd expect from a 1976 Airfix kit, which is to say, good fun in the box. I'm going to go with the same camo scheme as on the box, but I'll probably skip the rockets and just do a clean ship.

IMG_20200629_230503411.jpg

IMG_20200629_225904128.jpg

A few years ago I built the Airfix kit of the HAS 8 naval version, and I also have the Fujimi HAS 2 in my pile.

rflynxa.jpg

Edited by bianfuxia
  • Like 15

Don't know about anyone else but I'm happy to see more Lynx in this GB :D 

Sadly the sanitised and peaceful boxart was a thing during the era in question <_<

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/30/2020 at 4:38 AM, Andwil said:

I see your shipyard has moved on to high volume helicopter manufacture!

Good stuff.

AW

haha yeah I'm kind of an all or nothing guy when it comes to modelling. 

I've been working a bit on this one lately too though hadn't taken any pics. This is where I'm up to now.

I know those seats have those hideous sink marks in them but, you know what, it's barely going to be visible through the windows and I'm actually getting less bench-time these days (especially compared to my productivity rate during the Navy GB where I managed about seven ships). So I am just going to leave it as it is. or maybe I will make some seatbelts quickly out of tape that could cover it up. (and now that I see it in the photo it really is pretty bad so maybe I will make some rectangles out of plastic card to cover it - anything to avoid faffing around with putty and sanding though, gee I am really over that).

For a 70s kit this is actually pretty cool - I did the instrument panel with a fine black marker pen to highlight the various buttons. It could really benefit from a decal for the main panel, but again, won't be that easy to see through the glass anyway.

The pilots aren't quite finished yet either.

IMG_20200714_004127232.jpg

Edited by bianfuxia
typo
  • Like 12

I built the Navy Lynx kit when I was young (that dark blue plastic - those were the days!), but I've never built the Army version, although it's in the stash. It's clear from the part numbering that Airfix planned from the outset to tool for both versions. I used to wonder if Airfix originally planned to include both versions in the one kit, as Matchbox did*.

*That kit with the very odd 3-piece windows on the side doors. Was that only on the prototypes, or very early production aircraft?

From what I can recall, bearing in mind it was a long time ago since I was last inside a Lynx and there was other things happening during those times, the seats were a simple canvas panel and a bit wrinkled so perhaps a bit of a scrape with a curved blade knife will get rid of the circular marks and give an impression of the fabric being a bit ruffled up.

On 7/15/2020 at 3:31 PM, Dads203 said:

A link to some pix for ref,  I remember the seats as being blue nylon, last trip in one was back in 98-99 not sure on the colour of earlier versions though, probably blue ? 

https://www.everettaero.com/lynx.html

IMG_20200716_001144810.jpg

😁

Thanks for the tip!

It looks a bit messy but it will have to do. 

I also did this:

IMG_20200716_010416881.jpg

• Like 5

2 hours ago, bianfuxia said:

Right now I am building two 1/72 Airfix kits - this one and an SA Bulldog for the "Kit you Built as a Kid" GB.

Well, one of the kits is 1/72. But which one? Lynx guy left, Bulldog guy right.

IMG_20200716_003254665.jpg

4 minutes ago, Col. said:

Could it be that one pilot was 4' 7" and the other 6' 5"?

This has also happened with the old "WWII-style" pilot figure, except in that case, it appears the size of the figure was reduced sometime in the early 1970s. Here, it seems to be the other way around, as the Lynx is the newer kit by a few years. Or maybe Airfix just realised that the tiny cockpit of the Bulldog kit required a hobbit-sized pilot.

What I am realizing thanks to this and the kit-you-built-as-a-kid GB is that these airfix kits from this era are actually really good. I mean, allowing for their time, they are nicely detailed and fit pretty well, plus they cover some great subjects. Apart from this Lynx and the SA Bulldog I've lately picked up (cheap on ebay) the BAe Hawk (original mould, it's great), the alpha jet, the Belvedere, the bloodhound SAM, two chieftain tanks, and missed quite a few other good ones by a quarter or fifty cents. 

• Like 2

I remember building that Airfix kit in 1979 as an easy build when I was just setting up on my own again. Not bad apart from the preproduction air intakes that they have never seem to have re tooled into something that might be on Lynx. A nice looking helicopter, used to see them at work as they often came to the helicopter pad on the roof of the LGI. Not very quiet though, especially if you were trying to do a tutorial! 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, bianfuxia said:

IMG_20200723_235107421.jpg

As usual my photo reveals stuff I don't notice like the gap between nosecone and main body. I'm probably not going to worry about it though. 

Nothing that can’t be solved in photoshop, before showing her in the galley 😉 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, desert falcon said:

Nothing that can’t be solved in photoshop, before showing her in the galley 😉 

haha i won't lie, I've probably done that once or twice to touch up bits I only noticed after I'd done all the photos.

Meanwhile I have decided to do this scheme with the dayglo orange doors, spine, and nose.

It's a copyrighted photo so i can't post it here but you can see at this LINK

I have two jars of orange and red which I got for a tiny 1/144 Sea King and there's no way I will get through it all before I leave, so between this and my CH-53 I'm on a bender with bright red patches on helos

• Like 2

Great work on an Airfix classic, i see you remembered to add some weight in the nose to.

Lots of times as a nipper I remember to sinking feeling when the kit became a tail sitter as additional parts were added !

Did you also mention a Belvedere ? 😉

Cheers Pat

On 7/26/2020 at 1:03 AM, JOCKNEY said:

Great work on an Airfix classic, i see you remembered to add some weight in the nose to.

Lots of times as a nipper I remember to sinking feeling when the kit became a tail sitter as additional parts were added !

Did you also mention a Belvedere ? 😉

Cheers Pat

Yeah I picked up a Belvedere on eBay the other day for a nice price. I'm sure many know this but I am discovering that most things come up for cheap-ish on auction there even in 2020. I'd given up as I just thought it was mostly overpriced fixed price things but not so. 

Yeah I've been burned before on chopper builds without nose weight - sitting back on their skids like some out of control skier!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...