This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

jackroadkill

Bf109G-2 canopy question

Hi all, I'm building a Hobby Boss G-2 and looking for a suitable cockpit mask set.  I'm struggling to find one, but am wondering if the canopy assembly is similar to ones found on some E models. 

Can anyone advise, please?

Thanks in advance,

JRK

Posted (edited)

The answer is yes, late mark Bf-109E canopy is similar to Bf-109 G2 canopy but not exactly the same. You might try Montex who do a number of 109G canopy masks.

Wulfman

Edited by Wulfman

The G-2 has thicker framing especially on the forward canopy section. Then you have the issue that different kit manufacturers always end up with slightly different sized/shaped canopies. I'm a huge fan of using pre-cut masks, but honestly a badly fitting one is worse than none at all. Nearly all the sections on a 109 canopy are simple geometric shapes, it would be easier to make masks yourself in this case than try to adapt one not designed for it.

Thank you very much, chaps.  I'll investigate the Montex masks and maybe the possibility of making my own.  There's a lot to learn in this game, it seems!

PMask does a set for the Hobby Boss Bf109F-4 - and I'm willing to bet that will be a near-as-dammit fit on the G-2 as well.  You won't need the lower quarterlight panels, but the rest should be near-enough.

In stock at Hannants, part no pk48061

27 minutes ago, Werdna said:

PMask does a set for the Hobby Boss Bf109F-4 - and I'm willing to bet that will be a near-as-dammit fit on the G-2 as well.  You won't need the lower quarterlight panels, but the rest should be near-enough.

In stock at Hannants, part no pk48061

Thanks - it just happens to be pay day....!

Talking of payday - Hannants has a minimum order value, so you'll probably need to add another item or two to qualify for free postage.... ;) 

5 minutes ago, Werdna said:

Talking of payday - Hannants has a minimum order value, so you'll probably need to add another item or two to qualify for free postage.... ;) 

What a bummer, eh?!

Posted (edited)

Hi Jack

Sorry I mislead you, I assumed you were doing the 1/72 Hobby Boss Bf109G-2, As an aficionado of the gentleman’s scale  I did not even know that Hobby Boss did one in 1/48. Doh !

Wulfman

Edited by Wulfman