Advice on Mr Color paints

dern

Hi, I've just started building models again after a substantial break of about 40 years. I completed my list of stuff I'd built up over lockdown and this seemed like a good idea and enjoying it a lot. I had a go a quick starter kit and loved it except for the paint which was terrible to apply by brush. I invested in an airbrush and things are going a lot better. Which leads me to the question...

I'm building a 1:24 car model and have painted the bottom of the chassis with Mr Color flat black using an airbrush. Took me a while to get the mix right on some test pieces but settled on 1:2 paint to thinner (same brand as the paint) and after a couple of coats it looks lovely. I then painted the chassis legs body colour (white) using Mr Color white thinned 1:1 (it felt right) and then brushed that on. What happened was that it looked ok but then went grey as I brushed. I'm guessing that the thinner in the white paint lifted the black base which mixed with the white to create grey. Any idea what I'm doing wrong and how I can stop this happening?

Many thanks,

Mark

47 minutes ago, dern said:

Any idea what I'm doing wrong and how I can stop this happening?

You mention that you are using a Mr Color thinner, if it is the self levelling thinner, it contains a retarder to slow the drying process, this allows the paint to conform to the surface detail but it means that you have to let the paint harden between coats.  Depending on paint thickness and temperature I would leave it overnight to dry before re-coating.

Hi, thanks for the reply. I'm using the standard thinner and the flat black had been on the part for at least 24 hours before painting the white over it. I won't touch the white until tomorrow before recoating.

Regards.

Mark

In this instance it needed to be the same colour as the body which was going to be sprayed on. Maybe I should practice my masking and just spray paint details like this in the future. 

thanks

The thinner reactivates the previous coat and it'll cause the colors to mix. Airbrush the white or use something that's "water based". Alternatively you might be able to get away with brushing if you apply a coat of varnish over the black. 

Oh yeah, that didn’t occur to me and would have been much easier. I guess these lessons with build up slowly until I attain a degree of competence. Fingers crossed 😂

Edited by dern
  • Like 1