1/72 Blackburn Botha, W5151, 4AGS, RAF Morpeth 1942

Here's an entry I did in the 'They also serve 2020' GB, which was what I would be building in the 'What you wouldn't want to go to war in' GB.

Briefly, the Botha was built to the same specification as the Beaufort, a combined spec of a shore based torpedo bomber and land based general reconnaissance bomber.  Despite passing Torpedo and mine-laying trials the Botha was a very difficult aircraft to fly and like most early war RAF types, underpowered.  Despite this nearly 600 were built, most ending up in training units where losses mounted, due mainly to the poor all round vision it seems.

I wanted to build one of these as I'm often attracted to lesser known types and obtained this PH resin kit from Hannants, it is currently still available.

The build thread is shown on the link but generally it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.  Not for the beginner of course, and there is a lot of fettling to the parts required but the only things I added were carb intakes modified from an Airfix Beaufighter (the kit included two pairs of Volkes filters, used by some units near beaches), a lorenz beam antenna from the spares box and scratch built most of the cockpit.

The undercarriage legs were moulded with steel rod inserts so are quite strong. You have to scratch build everything else and there is no positive location for them, they are made too long though. I don't know what the layout is like in the wheel bays so my twin hydraulic ram set-up is entirely fictitcious!

The markings are for an aircraft based up the road from me at Tranwell airfield, RAF Morpeth. Used by 4 AGS training mainly Poles, they were soon exchanged for Avro Anson's due to the mentioned often fatal accidents.  They were just knocked up and modified from the decal stash so aren't entirely spot-on, but when looking at photo's of Botha's they varied a lot in the style of roundels and codes.

Critique and comment welcome.

Davey.

DSC_0017 DSC_0019 DSC_0018 DSC_0014 DSC_0015 DSC_0016 DSC_0020 DSC_0021 DSC_0022

• Like 38

Very nice work! One might even say the original aircraft did not deserve to be represented as such a fine model.

Just kidding... I am also often attracted by aircraft that are not remembered as brilliant designs.

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Gisbod said:

Never ceases to amaze me how many aircraft of the period pop up that I’d never heard of!

Nice job.

Guy

Thanks Guy. I've only recently got to know about this aircraft, I think someone did a vac-form kit of one on here. Once reading about it I had to have one in my collection. It's worth tracking down the February 2013 edition of 'Aeroplane' magazine for its excellent article on the Botha, almost made me feel sorry for it!

Davey

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, tonyot said:

Lovely job,..... I do like the look of the Botha and your model looks superb.

Cheers

Tony

Cheers Tony, and everyone else, this is the first complete resin kit I have finished!

I think they have captured the shape of the fuselage and the wing plan perfectly.  Measuring up after finishing the model it's only a couple of mm out to the published dimensions.

Davey.

• Like 1