How to best paint a nameplate

neilg

I have just finished a build of a Trumpeter 1:350 Richelieu battleship, a present from my dad.

It comes with a nameplate in moulded grey plastic:

IMG_1200

It's not really easy to read it as it is unless you hold it to the light, but I have no idea how I can paint it to make the letters readable from a distance.

Other ships that I have built have had a pre-painted nameplate - I really want to add a nice touch, but I don't know how.

Any tips or examples would be appreciated.

A technique I sometimes use for photoetched instrument panels is to paint the highlight colour with an acrylic paint and then seal it with an acrylic varnish.  When the varnish is dry, paint the panel with the background colour using an enamel paint and allow it to dry until it is touch dry, then use a clean cloth to wipe the paint off the raised detail with white spirit to expose the sealed acrylic colour beneath it.

Hope this helps.

• Like 2

Paint it one colour. Coat with varnish. Then paint it a contrasting colour. When all thats dry lightly rub over the letters with a wet & dry grit paper to remove the last coat of paint only

or

How about getting one engraved.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cut-Corner-Engraved-Plaque-Engraved-Plate-Silver-Gold-Various-Sizes-Fonts/274076303419?var=574160616923

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Richard E said:

A technique I sometimes use for photoetched instrument panels is to paint the highlight colour with an acrylic paint and then seal it with an acrylic varnish.  When the varnish is dry, paint the panel with the background colour using an enamel paint and allow it to dry until it is touch dry, then use a clean cloth to wipe the paint off the raised detail with white spirit to expose the sealed acrylic colour beneath it.

Hope this helps.

That sounds like a good idea, but my worry is the letters aren't "tall" enough from the background.

I'm not sure I'd get a clean enough edge, especially around letters with holes in.

I guess I could just do a touch-up with a fine brush?

26 minutes ago, Schwarz-Brot said:

simplest thing to do would be painting it metal all over and using a dark wash to make the lettering stand out.

This was my first thought, but I actually considered using the wash to fill the background.

18 minutes ago, Black Knight said:

Paint it one colour. Coat with varnish. Then paint it a contrasting colour. When all thats dry lightly rub over the letters with a wet & dry grit paper to remove the last coat of paint only

or

How about getting one engraved.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cut-Corner-Engraved-Plaque-Engraved-Plate-Silver-Gold-Various-Sizes-Fonts/274076303419?var=574160616923

I'd like to try myself first, but thanks for the link - I can get one engraved when it all goes wrong 😄

• Haha 1