Tintin's Tiger Moth 1/72 ***Finished***

Jur

Tintin marketing actually sells a 1/48 model of the Yellow Tiger Moth but it's around £50 IIRC.  I have a Tintin Bus which is about 1/50th scale. Tintin and Haddock are on the back seat reading newspapers.

IMG_3022_zpss0bwrnzy.jpg

IMG_3025_zpsy4iat8aq.jpg

• Like 12

I love that bus John, like everything Herge it captures times and places brilliantly.

The Tiggy is galloping along Jur, my mind still boggled at how the Thomson's got in the back seat though.

Artistic licence at its best.

👍

• Like 2

That bus is brilliant!

I've been pondering that same question, perdu. We'll see if there is a solution...?

22 hours ago, Jur said:

n the meantime, if I fix the wing on the cabane struts I may be able to fit the main struts one by one without needing any replacements.

This is highly do-able, just let everything set overnight before you try to add the interplane struts

3 hours ago, John Aero said:

Tintin marketing actually sells a 1/48 model of the Yellow Tiger Moth but it's around £50 IIRC.  I have a Tintin Bus which is about 1/50th scale. Tintin and Haddock are on the back seat reading newspapers.

I am in love with this now and want one for Christmas

4 hours ago, Jur said:

That bus is brilliant!

That whole scale model set is wonderful.  The bus is from 'The Calculus Affair.'  I am partial to the Thompson Twins Deux Cheveaux.  

Pete, Well spotted. I bought it at a shop in Sherringham Norfolk.  The shop had a large range of Tin-tin merchandise and I hung my nose over the bus as I thought it was delightful. At over £70, I hesitated until Clare said "for goodness sake ,buy it". So I did as I was told!

Thanks John as I couldn't remember which book it was from as I sent a couple to my grand kids in NZ.

I wanted it for background for my Stackton Tressel Aerodrome as I estimated that it might be 1/48 or 1/50 scale to go with the rest of the vehicles I collect.

John

• Like 2

Slowly getting there! The Tiger Moth itself is nearly finished, just needs the propellor. And the rigging, but I don't know if I'm up to that to be perfectly honest.

I'm experimenting with the crew. The unfortunate mechanic is straightforward, the detectives less so. I took a couple of suitably attired gentlemen from my spares box and subjected them to major surgery - essentially turning them into Siamese twins (which in a way they are anyway). They put up quite some resistance, because these are metal figures. Right now I am still in the feasibility stage - I need to epoxy them together, fill some big gaps and then transplant or fabricate some arms to hang outside the cockpit. If all that works out they can be painted and installed

IMG-20200704-215406.jpg

IMG-20200704-215428.jpg

IMG-20200704-215420.jpg

It is quite cosy in the back. I don't know how one of them managed to fall out!

• Like 12

17 hours ago, Jur said:

It is quite cosy in the back. I don't know how one of them managed to fall out!

Perhaps he was pushed?

Seriously, though, this is looking really great!

On 6/29/2020 at 8:03 PM, mdesaxe said:

Actually, I think it's Flemish. Rather like people thinking I'm talking in Dutch when I speak Afrikaans (my native language).

30 years ago I served in HMS Broadsword alongside a Dutch Officer (on exchange - my FDO.  One of my flight maintainers had been brought up speaking Afrikaans, before emigrating to the UK as a teenager.  They could just about understand each other, but when you asked them in English what they each thought of the other, they’d say “he’s OK, but he’s murdering the language!”

Love the idea; Tintin was a big part of my childhood

• Like 1

Not long ago, I was asked to translate a Dutch author's book into English. For his own reasons, he wanted his son to coordinate with me, so the son emailed asking if we should communicate in Dutch or English. When I wrote back in Afrikaans, he responded with one word: English!

Maurice

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Well, I think I'm done with this one. I know it needs rigging but to be honest at this point in time my skills are not up to that level, so I would probably ruin it in the process. In doubt, leave it out, as the actress said to the bishop.

Let me therefore present to you: my interpretation of the Thom(p)son Tiger Moth from the Tintin album The Black Island:

IMG-20200707-101544.jpg

IMG-20200707-101554.jpg

IMG-20200707-101609.jpg

IMG-20200707-101449.jpg

IMG-20200707-101509.jpg

Certainly not perfect, but I trust it made a better landing than the real thing:

Kuifje3.jpg

Edited by Jur
  • Like 13

Absolutely fabulous

Brilliant interpretation of Herge, I'm never doubting your plans again (not that I doubted you anyway)

Three for two in a Tiggie.😅

Well done, very well done

• Like 1

Beautifully done @Jur, like others, Tintin was with me through my youth, as I got older, I bought his books, better than borrowing from the library. They were borrowed by my late brothers youngsters & returned with love to be devoured by my own offspring. When my oldest & I visited the UK & Belgium 5+ years ago now, a shop off Leicester Square (I think) coughed up the blue Jeep from Destination Moon, with a besuited Haddock being driven by an irate Calculus. Later on the outskirts of Brussels, a visit to the Herge museum took longer than anticipated. I have the Blue Rider decals too & several kits earmarked, I've much enjoyed this build & applaud the end result. 👍

Steve.

• Like 2

Looks good.  But I do feel rigging would complete it. The May (I think. It’s the one with a Gladiator on the cover) issue of Airfix model world has a pretty reasonable tutorial on rigging in it.

That said at 1/72 stretched sprue is probably easiest. Just get hold of a reasonable bows divider ( compass with two points) stretch some sprue ( grey or silver are good) measure the gap with the dividers, cut the stretched sprue to length, put a blob of PVA glue at the rigging points and using a tweezers place the stretched sprue. You’ve done way more difficult tasks so far, rigging is just down to the correct tools a bit of fine motor skill and patience :) 

Second easiest method is probably the EZline/ mig rigging: uschi van der Rosen method. These lines are elastic, so you cut a length a little shorter than the gap. CA one end in place, wait for it to dry, then using a tweezers stretch the other end into place and CA it, then with a sharp blade trim any excess.

49980070856_14b58d8940_c.jpg

This is the method I’m using at the moment in my Triplane. A bit fiddly at first but once you get the hang of it easy enough and looks well.

there are many many other methods but either of those are not too hard and look right in 1/72.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 1

Thank you Marklo. You are right I probably just need a kick up the backside and get on with it! Still, I should try it first on some throwaway kit, don't want to ruin this one now. I'll go and find something cheap somewhere. Stretched sprue is what we did back in the stone age so I'm familiar with it, will try that first. I have some EZLine from my layout so I can also experiment with that.

• Like 3

• 1 year later...