Tintin's Tiger Moth 1/72 ***Finished***

Jur

@malpaso, yes this thing is tiny. The fuselage is no bigger than my little finger!

@Parrish, I am an expert in breaking off little protrusions. I don't think I will particularly miss this one. When fitting the tail planes I got the distinct impression that the provided struts are too short, or is that just me? There seems to be a bit of a droop there. Not knowing the truth of the matter I went ahead anyway.

@John Masters, yes I'm new here, thank you for your welcome!

Here is the latest progress: I completed the fuselage and fitted the wings and tailplanes. I masked the cockpit with blobs of blu-tak, did some filling and sanding and had a go at priming.

IMG-20200701-094538.jpg

IMG-20200701-094547.jpg

The cowling is a weird fit but I think that is deliberate?

I'm using Vallejo White Primer but I'm struggling a bit to be honest. On the bottle it says I can use it undiluted with my 0.4mm nozzle, so that is what I did. I sprayed from 20 cm again as per instructions. The paint comes out fine, but the stuff doesn't seem to cover all that well. I have given it a number of light passes (that label again!) but the underlying grey of the plastic still comes through - you can see that in the contrast with the white putty lines (that I sanded down as much as I could).

Should I give it more or will this be adequate for the top coat of yellow? I'm concerned about getting the primer on too thick and obscuring the details. Are there better primers than Vallejo? I heard good things about Stynylrez, is that worth trying? Or is this going to be a motor oil discussion?

Another question is what to do with the struts. Because I will break off anything smaller than a wing I'm reluctant to glue them on already. Perhaps I could glue the cabane struts on to the top wing (where there are some decent looking slots) and prime/topcoat them along with that, it will see less handling. I would treat the main struts separately on their own before fitting them together with the top wing later?

Suggestions are welcome!

Edited by Jur
  • Like 3

Im stalled at the moment, your ahead of me know.

I have colour problems, as I am doing red and silver I have the fuselage to finish before I attach any wings, just need to sort the red out.

Advice from some 'Black Knight' is to fit the front screen before attaching the upper wings.

My fat fingers are going to be a hindrance with those struts when it comes to fitting them.

This is the recommended colour on the box! 'Humbrol 20'

spacer.png

I think im going to go with 'Revell 30'

PGKB0i8.jpg

For the struts, On my Tiggie I fixed the cabane struts to the upper wing then painted as the following assemblies:

- the main fuse+lower main plane with Tail etc

- upper main plane with cabane struts

- interplane struts as per Airfix

if I do another I would fix the cabana struts to the fuse rather than the upper wing as that joint is hard to achieve with full weight of wing as well.  The weird x-shapes on the inter planes worked well to set the stagger, I fixed them after upper wings in situ, clipping them out is easy with flush cutters but tidying is challenging once the riggings in place!

PS I was given (free) Vallejo primers in various colours, I’ve tried them and they are worth what I paid for them.  I always use Halfords grey , or white for a red or yellow.  Or I spray normal white as an undercoat over the grey primer.  And under my most recent yellow spinner I used pink which needed less coats for a decent  vibrant yellow.

Cheers

Will

4 hours ago, Jur said:

cowling is a weird fit

It is indeed, The engine was air cooled so all the air that comes in through the hole at the front, flows round the cylinders and out through the rear openings. A lot of older kits mould that sort of cowling together with the fuselage with just a "step", so you have to scrape in a bit of an undercut to give the impression of an opening. This kit does it all for you!

The undercoat looks good as a basis for yellow. You will probably need a few coats, regardless. When brushing yellow I end up doing six or seven thin coats before it looks opaque, so don't be deterred if it doesn't cover in one!

Regards,

Adrian

5 hours ago, Parrish said:

This is the recommended colour on the box! 'Humbrol 20'

ACDC's fuselage has been many shades of red over its incredibly long life and many repairs and recoverings, and that Humbrol 20 as you have brushed it out is a lot closer than Humbrol 31 for the colour scheme it was in when I saw it last. Or it will be after another coat . It;'s a very winey maroon, not bright red at all

35382349705_c34c973f16_b.jpg

• Like 3

On 6/29/2020 at 10:46 PM, Jur said:

Interesting discussion about the Dutch version of the comics. I think that Herge wrote them originally in French but I'm not sure if the translation into Dutch was done by a Dutch or Flemish person. In my books Tintin sounds more Dutch than Flemish to my ears. It is true that some of the dialog in the originals is in Belgian dialect, for instance the Indians in the Broken Ear speak a modified version of a local Brussels dialect. That wasn't changed in the Dutch version.

I believe a certain amount can come down to the translators.  I'm told that in the original French version of Asterix in Britain, McAnix the Scotsman, on being given his 'magic potion' says, 'Pas du sucre, du lait, un nuage'.  In Anthea Bell and Derek Hockridge's translation that becomes, 'Nae sugar Mon, just a wee drappie o' milk.'

• Like 2

On 6/30/2020 at 7:55 AM, Moa said:

Such a cool build!

@Jur

(to call the attention of a fellow BMer, is not enough to use the @, you have to type it, start to type the name of user (no spaces after @) and a pull down menu will appear as you type the name, from that you click on the name of the intended recipient, who will receive a notification, otherwise there is no notification. It has to "turn on" with the black background, as you see above).

Cheers

@Moa

I didn't know that: amazing the things one learns on this site!

Michael

• Like 1

That red and silver colour scheme is gorgeous! This must be a different release than mine, I don't have that as an option.

I've completed the priming (on the underside as well now) and I think I may attach the cabane struts to the fuselage before putting on the yellow. There is not a very positive lock on them though so I hope they will go on straight. I may also put on the undercarriage now. I should have done all that before the priming I guess, but I can brush prime them instead. The upper wing will definitely not go on until all the spraying has been completed.

Living dangerously - loose upper wing on fuselage + cabane struts. Eyeballing for alignment.

IMG-20200701-220318.jpg

IMG-20200701-220329.jpg

Edited by Jur
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, Moa said:

Hi Michael

As a side note: when I was, in turn, shown this, I was told to use it sparingly and with sobriety, which I think it's good advice.

Well, you are a monk, and, I daresay by the tone of that message, a renuncient, so you should know.

It is also good advice to presume sobriety rather than suspect otherwise,

Michael

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Jur said:

heard good things about Stynylrez, is that worth trying?

Absolutely.  This is forgiving, self-leveling, absolutely indestructible stuff.  I airbrush it on without diluting it, and can apply the regular paint over it 10 minutes later.  It creates a hard shell that you can actually sand (gently), and won't strip away like other acrylic primers.  DO, however, wear breathing protection, because it contains some resin hardener.  I've never had paint compatibility problems, e.g. with enamels, either.  Highly recommend it.

I've given it a coat of yellow like this:

IMG-20200702-181022.jpg

The upper wing is loose here and doesn't sit straight because of the fuel tank masking tape.

In the meantime I got a reply from Airfix that the spares department is on the case re. the struts, but it may take a while because of the (understandable) backlog. I think I'll clean up and paint the individual struts in the meantime, if I fix the wing on the cabane struts I may be able to fit the main struts one by one without needing any replacements. I should also paint the little spinner yellow, as per the book.

• Like 7

Thanks Bill, I am reasonably happy with it. I surely would not have been able to get a finish like this with brushpainting. Still, I am on the learning curve, I have had my airbrush only for a month or so. I am still inclined to put on too heavy coats. I think this one is acceptable though, so I will go ahead an put on some gloss varnish for the decals.

That is a great website John. A shame that many of those wonderful planes don't seem to be available as kits. The company that pubishes the Tintin decals also do a couple of books on the aircraft of Herge. I have not seen them, but I would think that there is a lot of overlap with the website you mention.

Nice Tiger from TinTin. I have a boxed set of lots of Tin Tin stories on DVD. The Black Island one doesn't feature a Tiger Moth but another biplane that looks a bit like a Caudron Luciole but not sure. The same antics as in the above illustrations from the comic though. There is another familiir type in red with stub wings for the undercart again I can't place what it is in another story. Ottokars Sceptre  with  an SM81 in yellow with Belgian civil reg appears plus the Bordurian Me 109.

I don't know how faithful the animated cartoons are to the albums. I do know that the albums were updated over time and some of the aircraft were redrawn for more modern types.

The red aircaft you refer to is probably the Stinson R3 in the Sceptre of Ottokar? The website John Masters linked to shows them all. I am going to put the book on my Xmas list!

I have now put on the decals and will wait for the Microsol to dry completely and do its magic. Then I will put a coat of matte varnish on before proceeding further.

IMG-20200703-120252.jpg

• Like 7