Humbrol Cellulose Thinner - MIA?

torqueofthedevil

After many years, I have finally run out of HCT which I have only used for thinning Humbrol varnishes, and I can't find a replacement anywhere. Is it no longer made? And if that is the case, will the cellulose thinner I can see on the Halford's website work just as well? 

I've used Cellulose or Standard thinners to thin Humbrol enamels and Tamiya Acrylics for years, in addition to always using it to wash out my brushes and airbrushes. My last buy was 20 litres online from a car parts supplier!

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Army_Air_Force said:

I've used Cellulose or Standard thinners to thin Humbrol enamels and Tamiya Acrylics for years, in addition to always using it to wash out my brushes and airbrushes. My last buy was 20 litres online from a car parts supplier!

Thank you, and that's an interesting idea for cleaning - I've always used white spirit up to now. Humbrol's own stuff only needed a few drops in the paint cup - same goes for the stuff you use? 

4 minutes ago, torqueofthedevil said:

.......Humbrol's own stuff only needed a few drops in the paint cup - same goes for the stuff you use? 

I normally wipe out excess paint, pour some thinners in, give it a swill around with a soft brush, down into the needle feed, then tip that out into tissue. I then half fill the cup and spray that clean thinners through the nozzle until it comes through clean.

When I'm finished for the day, I'll often strip the airbrush and clean all the parts, depending on how much spraying I've been doing. Don't leave rubber parts soaking in Cellulose or standard thinners, as they swell up if left to soak for a time. They will return to normal however!

Edited by Army_Air_Force
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, torqueofthedevil said:

After many years, I have finally run out of HCT which I have only used for thinning Humbrol varnishes, and I can't find a replacement anywhere. Is it no longer made? And if that is the case, will the cellulose thinner I can see on the Halford's website work just as well? 

Get your cellulose thinners from an independent car parts place, about £8 for a 5L tin. Far cheaper than Halfords.

afaik Humbrol hasn't done cellulose thinners for many a year.

I use Humbrol enamel thinners for enamels and B&Q 'Diall' brush restorer for cleaning both hairy-stick brushes and my airbrush

• Thanks 1

Is this what you're asking about? I bought it at least 30 years ago, but have only used about a quarter of the can. Shift work and raising 3 daughters kinda slowed down kit building during those years.

50058715628_fdb65aefb5_c.jpg

Chris

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dogsbody said:

Is this what you're asking about? I bought it at least 30 years ago, but have only used about a quarter of the can. Shift work and raising 3 daughters kinda slowed down kit building during those years.

50058715628_fdb65aefb5_c.jpg

Chris

That's probably the same stuff inside, but mine is in one of the small cubic glass bottles which they used to use (for Liquid Poly, Maskol etc) before they moved to the round ones

• Like 1

"Cellulose thinner" is what we call "lacquer thinner" here in the Former Colonies, and as far as I know, it's the same the world 'round. I use a 50/50 mix of lacquer thinner and mineral spirits to thin my Humbrol enamels. Xylene or xylol can also be used in lieu of lacquer thinner.

• Like 2