Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Not sure if  I am talking rubbish but I am not sure XH558 could carry Blue Steel

I am sure more knowledgeable people can tell you but I thought one of the XL range was the first possibly XL317?

Sorry if I am wrong but I thought I would mention it

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, cherry268 said:

Not sure if  I am talking rubbish but I am not sure XH558 could carry Blue Steel

I am sure more knowledgeable people can tell you but I thought one of the XL range was the first possibly XL317?

Sorry if I am wrong but I thought I would mention it

Hey, 

You are totally right here, I guess I'm building this one as a kind of concept. Having built the kit once before straight from the box, this one is evolving into a what if. Still an awesome aircraft. 

Thanks, 

Michelle 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Shelliecool said:

Hey, 

You are totally right here, I guess I'm building this one as a kind of concept. Having built the kit once before straight from the box, this one is evolving into a what if. Still an awesome aircraft. 

Thanks, 

Michelle 

Oh good I'm glad I didn't do a spoiler

Look forward to seeing the end result

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, cherry268 said:

Oh good I'm glad I didn't do a spoiler

Look forward to seeing the end result

Although I have been looking at my new decal sheet and I could build XL317 or XL426 both of whom had Blue Steel......... Too many choices🤔

Thanks again, 

Michelle 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Shelliecool said:

Although I have been looking at my new decal sheet and I could build XL317 or XL426 both of whom had Blue Steel......... Too many choices🤔

 

Some would argue that that is a sign for you to make more Vulcans Michelle.

 

Martian 👽

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Martian said:

Some would argue that that is a sign for you to make more Vulcans Michelle.

 

Martian 👽

Now Martian, is this you attempting to get me back for encouraging you to buy all the extras for the Victor???? 

 

You are right though, can never have enough Vulcans! 

Michelle 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Shelliecool said:

Now Martian, is this you attempting to get me back for encouraging you to buy all the extras for the Victor?

Am I really that transparent?

 

 

Martian 👽 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Shelliecool said:

Although I have been looking at my new decal sheet and I could build XL317 or XL426 both of whom had Blue Steel......... Too many choices🤔

Thanks again, 

Michelle 

Of course you could build different versions of each Vulcan 

XH558 would start as a bomber, reconnaissance,, tanker, display aircraft, in white, camouflage and white, camouflage and grey, wraparound. And then we have which squadrons she flew in........

 

And I'll stop being silly at that point

Never have enough Vulcans

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 27/07/2020 at 13:55, cherry268 said:

Not sure if  I am talking rubbish but I am not sure XH558 could carry Blue Steel

I am sure more knowledgeable people can tell you but I thought one of the XL range was the first possibly XL317?

Sorry if I am wrong but I thought I would mention it

Correct that xh558 never carried blue steel, but XH539 did which was the earliest reg to (other than xa903 for development). 
I have a full list here https://adamjackpoultney.wixsite.com/vulcanmodellingguide/airframes-2

Edited by Adam Poultney
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Also, I don’t know if you’re aware of this, but XH558 left the factory in the Vulcan B1 style anti flash with full shade roundels (as with most very early Vulcan b2s). 
This is my 1:144 Trumpeter XH558 in that scheme:
30a1a4f91a246add664b4eaa7350216a.jpg
 

If you want the pale shade version, this is what you want to be working from:

AwWCsQYCEAENjua.jpg

 


 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I really like all the V-bombers, so its always fun to see one go together.  It seems like your work is really working out to make a great model out of this old kit.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Adam Poultney said:

Correct that xh558 never carried blue steel, but XH539 did which was the earliest reg to (other than xa903 for development). 
I have a full list here https://adamjackpoultney.wixsite.com/vulcanmodellingguide/airframes-2

I think XH539 was used as a development aircraft that took over from XA903 so I didn't count that

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Whilst deciding which aircraft this kit would finally become, I began to lay down some primer. I was a little daunted by the size of the areas I needed to cover, but the Vallejo white primer, sprayed and settled evenly and I was happy. However, on closer inspection this morning the wing seams/joins just aren't good enough, and still visible. My aim was to build this kit with more competence and to a better finish than my first Vulcan, so this just wasn't good enough. I have masked up the wings a little and begun sanding back the area along both seams, hoping to fix the problem. 

IMG_20200731_172931 IMG_20200731_172935

 

  • Like 5
  • Sad 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

Back to the build after a much needed break in Dorset. I unmasked the areas I had re-sanded, and began the task of spraying some primer over them. So far so good, I will wait for another coat before I assess the seams. 

IMG_20200810_132419

 

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Happy with the resanding and filling to the wing seams, I gave the build several light coats of white primer and moved on to preshading. I am a fan of preshading and it worked well on my Victor, so I mixed up some US Dark Grey and set to work. There are a lot of panel lines on the Vulcan and some of them are very long! Its a painstaking job, but after quite a long time it was complete

IMG_20200814_125347 IMG_20200814_125356

Once this was dry, I set up the airbrush ready to begin the white top coat. I mixed up some Vallejo white 5:1 and began airbrushing. I plan to spray one side at a time as it is so big and awkward. 

IMG_20200814_145807

One light coat down and I'm fairly happy. 

 

Edited by Shelliecool
  • Like 7
Link to post
Share on other sites

It's looking really good like your preshadeing technique mite have to try that one day 

Built this kit my self not long ago I glued it in to top and bottom half's that went prity well till I dropped it doh

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

That last picture shows what a great job you have done of the re-scribing Michelle.

 

Martian 👽

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd forgotten how large this kit is, as I moved my stash and built models to my shedquarters and try to get through the loft room hatch with is built beastie was to say interesting! I think the 1/48 B29 will be a two man job! 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 23/08/2020 at 22:17, Ruskin Air Services said:

I'd forgotten how large this kit is, as I moved my stash and built models to my shedquarters and try to get through the loft room hatch with is built beastie was to say interesting! I think the 1/48 B29 will be a two man job! 

they are certainly large models.... I've got 7 1/72 v Bombers (one is just a cockpit section though) and plan to get quite a few of the new vulcan kit, quite a challenge to display all those

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...

Been a long while since my last post, but I have been progressing with the build between work and other stuff. Having slowly built up the white top coat I moved on to airbrushing the silver exhausts and the black section on the tail and nose. This all took careful masking. 

IMG_20201005_222437 IMG_20201005_222445

Once this was airbrushed I removed the masking hoping it hadn't bled (which it hadn't) and began sealing in all the paintwork. 

IMG_20201010_171619 IMG_20201010_171619 IMG_20201010_171604

Nearly there. 

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...