Avro Vulcan B Mk2 (XH558)

White paintwork looking great and jetpipes are superb! What paint was used on them?

However the squared tail cap was never fitted on white aircraft, and the kit radome panel is incorrect. Probably worth correcting the tail but the Radome shape isn't that important 

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Adam Poultney said:

White paintwork looking great and jetpipes are superb! What paint was used on them?

However the squared tail cap was never fitted on white aircraft, and the kit radome panel is incorrect. Probably worth correcting the tail but the Radome shape isn't that important 

I have just realised my mistake with the squared tail cap..... And will lop it off later. I will leave the Radome be, as I don't want to mess too much (incase some fatal error occurs). I used Vallejo Silver acrylic, which settled really well on the primes resin. 

Thanks, 

Michelle 

• 2 weeks later...

I have spent the last few days carefully (and I mean very carefully) sawing off the ends of the tail cap, removing the square ends. This actually took longer than I had hoped, but with care it is now gone. 

IMG_20201023_154330

Today I have begun applying decals, using Micro sol as usual. So far the replacement decals have gone on well, although they are very thin so have a tendency to roll and scrunch up if you take you eye off the ball for a second. However, I have now hit a hurdle. The decal sheet wants me to apply number 2 decals to the trailing edges of the wings. There are the correct amount of 2's however they are only in yellow..... Surely they should be baby blue like the rest of the stencils on the anti flash version? Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated. 

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

I have had a few problems with Flickr recently, and been busy with work and things which is why there have been so few posts. I have however, been working on both my builds, and finally managed to sort flickr. Taking a closer look at the decal sheet and guide I realised the 2's didn't need to go on the aircraft I was building, so I continued applying the decals carefully using the Micro sol, and finally it was complete. 

IMG_20201027_142612 IMG_20201027_142618 IMG_20201027_142622

My next step is some light weathering, and construction of the landing gear, which I have already painted. Not far off finishing. 

• Like 10

• 1 month later...

More problems with Flickr, and the arrival of Christmas has caused me to neglect my posts on here. However, I have continued to work on both my builds, and actually finished the Vulcan a couple of weeks ago. So here's a quick recap on the final stages of the build and some finished photos. 

I decided against adding any further weathering, I previously built a Victor and didn't weather that build so decided the Vulcan should follow suit. I secured the landing gear and doors to the build, which was easy enough and added pitot tubes and final touches. Finally I gave the entire build a coat of Vallejo satin varnish, and she was ready to sit on display above my Victor. All in all, it has been a challenging build. The old kit doesn't fit together too well as we all know, switching tailpipes and changing the shape of the tail and nose all added to the fun, but the build is complete and I am pretty happy with it. 

2020-12-13_01-22-11 2020-12-13_01-22-23 2020-12-13_01-22-34 2020-12-13_01-23-21

2020-12-13_01-24-29

I will post more photos when Flickr starts responding 😡. Thanks for joining me

• Like 10