Tamiya 1/12th Scale Lotus 49B

I agree about a top post! Very very nice model you're made there. I might have to go and fondle the bits of my unbuilt kit now...spacer.png

Could not resist adding this picture above (bit late now I know). This was taken at the Brands Hatch Race of Champions in April 1968. No one else has seen this picture before,I just rediscovered it in my loft. I also have the front view as well..Chris

• Like 2

Re Black badges;

This is from lotuselan.net (https://lotuselan.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=23875&start=)

"We spoke with Graham Arnold at Lotus Owners Gathering (something or other) where he was the main speaker for the event. May have been LOG 14 or who knows. I have been to more then 20 of those events and the numbers run into each other after a while.

Anyways, I have posted before that he told me and a few others that were there, and I don;t recall who they were so i cannot contact them for verification, that one day he noticed that he was running out of badges. So he just put out a few bids for the replacement. The cheapest one that came back was for a black badge. Now, Arnolds words as I recall were something like, "so i told the old man that they were cheaper to boot, and of course he really liked that".

I have told this many times and every time i do , I still get arguments that the badges were something special. Maybe we can finally put this one to rest."

This completely backs up the story that I heard from Graham Arnold too (might even have been the same meeting).

Simon

• Like 1

Wonderful photo Chris - were you there?

I think this was Chassis 49/R5 if it was Race of Champions 1968. It was actually the first race appearance of this car on 17th March 1968 according to Michael Oliver. BUT although it was in Lotus John Player colours, it was still a Lotus 49 at this point. It retired from the race (driveshaft yoke) and then was rebuilt as prototype 49B and then scored 'an easy win' at Monaco on 26th May.

I can strongly recommend Michael Oliver's book, especially if you can get it at a reasonable price.

I also used internet sources and photos to help such as

image18.jpg

57970014_2.jpg

• Like 2

I was definitely there and took this photo with my Kodak Instamatic! No  one else in the world has ever seen this picture before,just rediscovered it in my loft. The front view is even better,so I should stick that one on now.I have a massive amount of pictures cut from magazines etc. I managed to get myself a 1/24 resin Lotus 49 at Telford last year and recently got 3 SMTS Loti 49 that were owned by Colin Fraser of Formula models,these are 1/43. Have you got the Haynes manual too? I don't have the Oliver book though. Chris.

I'd love to see that front view photo! In the old days, pit/paddock access was so easy..................................

Yes I did get the Haynes Manual. It was very useful too - especially the chapter "Anatomy of the Lotus 49". More colour photos than Michael Oliver as well although the Chassis by Chassis was maybe not as detailed. Again, it's a good idea to see if it can be bought cheaper than list price (I think I got mine on ebay)

Simon

spacer.pngThere you go Simon,no one else has ever seen this picture before. It actually says on the back 17th.March 1968 Brands Hatch Race of Champions,I went to the G.P. That year as well,and the 6 hrs.Sportscar race. And I still go there now,next real event is the historics in July. All the best,Chris. Should show my SMTS kits as well now,I'll dig them out.

• Like 2