1/28 Camel ( Return from the self of DOOM!)

I have been inspired and energised by reading the wonderful posts from Dennis about his great little Camel.  He encouraged me to reach deep into my shelf of Doom and try and breath life into this old build.  I stopped working on this kit almost eight years ago( started it in 2008, yikes! 🤪 ) after struggling with how to get the top wing to look and attach correctly.  After cleaning the old girl off I can see I have a bit of work to do to get started.  I'm going to overlook some of the dreadful bits and concentrate on the positive.  The bones of the kit are straight and true which is a miracle after all this time. I wish I hadn't added such big mounting eyelets for the rigging but what is done is done, I'll use thin brass tube for the turnbuckles even though I now know about the neat flying wires the Camel had.  Also a plus is now I have a stencil cutter and experience in painting markings so that part should go easier. But enough prattle here are some base line pictures to show what I'm starting with.

spacer.png

spacer.png

That cowl is just setting there it does fit properly, honest.

spacer.png

The upper wing is in about the right spot just I need to work out all new struts.  And that's the bit that did me in years ago...

spacer.png

Yes, I did use a thick black plastic hair comb to do that 'wood grain'.  Oh, the carefree days of youth.

spacer.png

It's not like I couldn't do a more refined woodgrain when I wanted to.  Though it would have been smarter to try and make it look a bit more like a laminated prop, sigh.

spacer.png

The motor should be useable.  This is one of the oldest bits and has held up pretty well.

So that's where I'm at.  I've a bit more cleaning to do and then a bit of a stock take to make sure all the bits are still in the box.  I more toys now to try and help get this old kit back into shape.  Hopefully I have a few more skills and a tiny bit more knowledge.  So thanks Dennis for the big kick up the backside. 😃

Thanks for looking in.
Dan

Edited by ScanmanDan
  • Like 4

34 minutes ago, ScanmanDan said:

So thanks Dennis for the big kick up the backside

You are most welcome and I am very pleased to see what you’be done so far.  I’m sure I will learn a thing or two as you progress.

Perhaps we’ll see a few more Camels dusted off and back on line.

Cheers

Dennis

Great work so far, I like the wood grain.  Good to see a shelf of doom model being started again.  Got one in the stash and been following Dennis' excellent build.  I have a shelf of doom Camel, but it's a 48th scale one which I may drag back out but am currently doing two other shelf of doom builds so will have to wait a bit.

Good luck with your build.

All the best

Chris