My First, And Last Eduard 1/48 Lysander

So lets just start by saying I remember one of my very first kits way back c.1977 being a Matchbox Lysander, and I've loved the aircraft ever since.  Now that I build almost exclusively 1/48 it was only a matter of time before I sprung for Eduard's Lysander Mk.III Profipack.  

In the box the kit looks nice enough with a few bits of resin and some nice PE, mostly for the cockpit.  With a fairly low parts count (most parts seem to go in the cockpit), I decided to give it a shot about a week ago.  

A few days later I was ready to chuck the damned thing in the bin.  It really is not a great kit.  The are zero alignment pins anywhere on the kit.  And while detail is nice, especially in the cockpit, but it just wanted to fight me at every step.  Once it came time to fit the 5-piece greenhouse canopy/windshield affair and the associated wing carry through I decided it was time to pack it back up and find a less stressful hobby.  

But after a few days at the coast I decided to power on through and see what I could do with it without putting in too much frustration.  So here she is.  

Kit decals for a 161 Sqn machine in 1942 were used, because I like the SOE machines, but didn't want to do the all over black scheme also included.   I masked the grey/green with Silly Putty for a hard edge and if I'd been in a better mood with it would have done the same for the black, but the example hanging in the main hall at the Smithsonian Udvar Hazy Air and Space Museum Annex seems to have a softer edge on the black, so masking was skipped and I freehanded it.  It's not my best build ever but I am glad I followed through and now have a good "4-footer" of one of my favorite WW2 aircraft on the shelf.  

spacer.png

8sEaLv5l.jpg

BU60hPZl.jpg

Edited by aeroplanedriver
  • Like 49

Great looking Lysander, well done competing it.

Btw it's not an Eduard kit, rather a reboxing with Eduard enhancements. I can't quite recall the original manufacturer Gavla or something like that.

Cheers Greg 👍

• Like 2

1 minute ago, GREG DESTEC said:

Great looking Lysander, well done competing it.

Btw it's not an Eduard kit, rather a reboxing with Eduard enhancements. I can't quite recall the original manufacturer Gavla or something like that.

Cheers Greg 👍

You're right, it's the Gavia kit I think.  Eduard made a few changes to the base kit from what I read.  Apparently on the original kit the wing struts were too short.  The fit FAIRLY well on this one.  Still took some fettling, but they were an appropriate length.  The Eduard bits were a nice PE fret and some resin, though a good bit of the resin and PE is for detailing the guns, which are not installed on my build.  It was a frustrating kit in that it COULD have been so much easier to build. The fir of the clear parts is my biggest complaint.  

• Like 2

If it's not your best build ever, I'd be interested in seeing it.

One of my first kits was also the Matchbox Lizzie and ever since then, even a life size Lysander looks like a chunky Lesney kit to me. 😉

Per aspera ad astra!

Kind regards,

Joachim

Other Britmodeler have talked about their three footers and six footers etc. and I tend to find their remarks amusing (not meant in a sarcastic way) because to me their work looks very good and their model would stand close examination among my two and three footers, of which I have several (but not all of my models fall into that category; I have a couple I'm quite proud of). Your model, in my estimation, will stand up to close scrutiny and receive high marks. My two cents worth only because I don't know how to convert two cents into British currency.  🙂

12 hours ago, aeroplanedriver said:

You're right, it's the Gavia kit I think.  Eduard made a few changes to the base kit from what I read.  Apparently on the original kit the wing struts were too short.  The fit FAIRLY well on this one.  Still took some fettling, but they were an appropriate length.  The Eduard bits were a nice PE fret and some resin, though a good bit of the resin and PE is for detailing the guns, which are not installed on my build.  It was a frustrating kit in that it COULD have been so much easier to build. The fir of the clear parts is my biggest complaint.  

I have a couple of these, and every now and then I keep looking at them thinking that would be a change to build,  My childhood Lizzie build was the Airfix 1/72 kit, way earlier than when Matchbox produced theirs.  So was there a solution to the glass house/wing fitting?  Or was it just patience over plastic? :hmmm:

Absolutely stunning result from a very difficult kit. Well done for perservering and not consigning it to the shelf of doom or worse! I love the combination of the later camo with the black undersides. Great contrast.

🏆 for effort and execution. There’s no hint of any blood, sweat or tears in the final execution! That is a very attractive model and finish.

I had heard ‘things’ about the base kit and decided to pass. Come on Airfix.....

Trevor

2 hours ago, Retired Bob said:

So was there a solution to the glass house/wing fitting?  Or was it just patience over plastic? :hmmm:

The wings glue on to large tabs (I had to remove a considerable amount of plastic in the wing slots to make them fit).  Really what made the greenhouse look better was to put a copious amount of CA on the tabs and then squeeze the greenhouse together with the wings while it set up.  

Agree 100% Trevor...seems like this is a kit that is just screaming for some 21st century attention from Mr. Airfix.

Here are a few pics that I think show it off a bit better I think.  

1DKEJohl.jpg

dbpf1yVl.jpg

R36AVmil.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Looks absolutely brilliant to me! I bought three of these kits, so I've got all the challenges to look forward too 🙃

And I too think this is another kit that Airfix must do (in both 72 and 48)!

Edited by wellsprop

Very nice. Was thinking of getting one of these but just over a 6 month fight with the Kinetic EA-6B and fancy kits that go together with little fuss for a change!

Really nice Lysander!

I had a similar adventure with the Airfix/MPM Wellington and when it was almost done, it ended up in the bin.

And I must say it felt well! It´s not a sin to do that.

Another kit that I decided to abandon is the Eduard Il-2 in 1/72nd. Not a very good kit, even compared with the old Smer or Eastern Express kits.

For some reason,, kit companies sometimes decide to make new kits that are not better than older ones from other companies.

Anyway, you won this battle!

Best regards from Uruguay

Ignacio

• Like 1