Jump to content
This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

CasualModel98

Hobbyboss 1/18 ME-262 A-1a fighter

Recommended Posts

For all the ME262 enthusiasts, I think this is the largest ME262 model on the market at 1:18 scale. I built their 1/48 scale and enjoyed it.  The level of detail and accessories is great. However don;t think I have space for a 1/18 scale!

 

5e608ed0d48d5.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here is the body, its almost 60cm length. Looks like they are making allowance for releasing a two seater version in the future by modifying the spine and the cockpit sprues.

 

5e81a8a8b596a.jpg

 

5e81a936eca14.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wish they made the engines with more detail and have the option of open engine panels.  There is so much more they could have done with a kit this size other than just make it larger than the 1/48 version.

 

5e81a91f0978a.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, CasualModel98 said:

I wish they made the engines with more detail and have the option of open engine panels.  There is so much more they could have done with a kit this size other than just make it larger than the 1/48 version.

This is my 2nd biggest issue with large scale models (after the space they require). In my opinion, the larger the scale, the more detail required to make a convincing replica. In my favoured 1/72 much of the time details can be "suggested" to give a reasonable impression of the full scale item (e.g. a flick of a silver pencil for cockpit switch gear). As you go to larger scales, the reproduction needs to be more literal to be convincing ... at 1/18th I think you'd pretty much have to build the thing as it was with scaled down materials to avoid it looking like a large toy. Of course, there are some skilled modellers who will take this as a basis and then modify/scratch build 90% of the kit for a stunning result!

 

Cheers,

 

Colin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, CasualModel98 said:

I wish they made the engines with more detail and have the option of open engine panels.  There is so much more they could have done with a kit this size other than just make it larger than the 1/48 version.

They could, but then it would be £250 or £300 instead of £50.  Same sort of market position that caused Revell to do a new tool 1/32 Spitfire IX for £30 versus the £120 to £150 it costs for a Tamiya one, and much the same sort of trade-off.

Edited by Work In Progress

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, ckw said:

Of course, there are some skilled modellers who will take this as a basis and then modify/scratch build 90% of the kit for a stunning result!

Yes. The market for these is two segments. 1: (the smaller segment) exactly those people, and 2: (the larger segment) people who have large houses and large bedrooms and want something they can put together fairly quickly and painlessly at modest cost which looks impressive in a case or on a shelf from five or six feet away.  Either way they offer huge perceived (and indeed actual) value. given the current market rate for a state of the art 1/48 twin-engined fighter a small fraction of the size.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, CasualModel98 said:

For all the ME262 enthusiasts, I think this is the largest ME262 model on the market at 1:18 scale. I built their 1/48 scale and enjoyed it.  The level of detail and accessories is great. However don;t think I have space for a 1/18 scale!

 

5e608ed0d48d5.jpg

I have one on order and am very much looking forward to getting it! I have nearly finished the 1:18 Fw 190A-5 in JG1 markings, and I'm going to do the A-8 as a late-war F-8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It baffles me how people can build and paint aircraft of this size. You'd be using most of my diecast collection for just nose weight! 

 

When the kids finally move out in 20 years, I'll undoubtedly probably maybe if SWMBO agrees.... Hang one from the ceiling. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Lewis95 said:

It baffles me how people can build and paint aircraft of this size. You'd be using most of my diecast collection for just nose weight! 

 

When the kids finally move out in 20 years, I'll undoubtedly probably maybe if SWMBO agrees.... Hang one from the ceiling. 

The kit comes with their own nose weights! 

 

5e81a921ac75e.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Lewis95 said:

When the kids finally move out in 20 years, I'll undoubtedly probably maybe if SWMBO agrees.... Hang one from the ceiling. 

Dont forget to reinforce the cieling joists ! 😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...