1/48 Airfix P-51D Mustang - "Rovin' Rhoda / 4 Bolts"

Hi all.

I’m in need of a few solid hours to get the topside colours onto the Tempest so in the meantime  I’ve cracked out the 1/48th Airfix P-51D Mustang. Much has been said about the kit that I don’t need to repeat here, most of it favourable.

A group of us have been catching up via video conference for our virtual modelling session while COVID has been around. One of the group members suggested the kit for a single type group build which turns out a good choice as the kit is readily available for a good price here in Oz.

I’ve been working on the various sub assemblies over the last week and I’ve managed to get it buttoned up and close to being ready for paint. Though the assembly has been all over the place, I’ll try and sort the photos as if you were following along with the instruction.

The kit I’m building is the fillet less version of the P-51. It offers the two styles of filleted tail which was handy as neither of the box options took my interest. My subject needs the filleted tail so I was good to go with this one. I’ve also got a bit of resin aftermarket to replace the kit prop and exhausts. The latter being far superior to what was provided in the kit.

Standard box pic.

00-P-51-Box.jpg

Cockpit tub with base desert yellow and oils to simulate the ply floor.

02-Cockpit-floor-2.jpg

06-Cockpit-floor-5-with-oils.jpg

The side walls primed with black and the Interior green applied. Followed by a wash and then flat coat + detail painting.

07-Sidewalls-1.jpg

09-Sidewalls-3-with-wash.jpg

11-Sidewalls-5-complete.jpg

The seat and final assembly of the tub plus. The worn black was achieved with the hairspray method. Some light tan pigments have been applied over the black. The sidewall stencils are supplied in the kit and dress the area up nicely. the assembly fits positively into the side walls.

14-Cockpit-4-assembled.jpg

15-Cockpit-installed-1.jpg

It looks good once buttoned up.

17-Cockpit-installed-3.jpg

The kit decal was used for the instrument panel with clear gloss used for the instrument faces.

18-Cockpit-installed-4.jpg

Probably the fiddliest area to clean up is the radiator inlet/outlet ducting.

19-Radiator-exhaust-outlet-1.jpg

21-Radiator-exhaust-assembled.jpg

It looks like a Mustang. Don't forget to install the tail wheel and wheel well when joining the fuselage. It'll be a fiddly correction to make if you miss doing this.

22-Fuselage-1-assembled.jpg

The main wheel well is nicely appointed. I used the Eduard instructions as guidance for the Chromate Yellow and silver areas.

24-Main-gear-bay-1.jpg

25-Wing-1-underside.jpg

The fit is excellent.

26-Wing-2-topside.jpg

The fuselage and wing mated well and the insert for the underside of the cowl and the inner leading edge fitted well. The only real gap of the build so far has been on panel line on the cowl underside. Easily fixed though.

30-Underside-installed.jpg

31-Small-underside-gap-1.jpg

The pieces for the rudder, tailplanes and topside of the cowl  fit very well.

29-Rudder-and-tailplane-1-installed.jpg

27-Nose-upper-cowl-1installed.jpg

Just about ready for paint. I'll install the windshield tonight as well the as assembly for the nose and oil cooler scoop. I think I'll need to remove a small amount of material from the outside edge of the IP as test fitting it revealed that it was sitting proud a tiny amount.

32-Assembled-1.jpg

Cheers for now.

Mick

• Like 14

• 2 weeks later...

The Mustang has acquired a good case of the pox. Fear not though, the plan is to remedy the effect with another layer or two of colours.

So far it's been a combination of hairspray, chipping fluids and stencils and five different shades of grey, grey-green and grimey brown. It looks a bit in your face but I'm not finished yet.

Mick

IMG20200709222835.jpg

IMG20200709222846.jpg

IMG20200709222934.jpg

IMG20200709222949.jpg

IMG20200709222959.jpg

• Like 5

Looking great so far, especially like your plywood floor effect. Intrigued to see your mottling effect once painted over. Looking forward to the next update 

On 7/10/2020 at 4:54 PM, GRK said:

Looking great so far, especially like your plywood floor effect. Intrigued to see your mottling effect once painted over. Looking forward to the next update 

Thanks GRK. The ply floor effect was achieved with hair spray. I put a thin coat of raw umber all over the deseret yellow and then dragged a toothpick across it to give it the wooden look. It kind of disappeared once it was closed up but you can at least catch a glimpse of the ply.

I've since added another grey over the pox. This time I went back to the suggested neutral grey underside. I'll probably go over it with a lighter grey to put some contrast into the dark effects, if that makes sense?

Cheers,

Mick

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all.

It's been a busy few weeks so not a lot of bench time. A few hours this afternoon with the airbrush and some choice Gunze paints and voila...fixed that. Looks like I need to tighten up the camo demarcation line though.

Cheers,

Mick

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 11

23 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Oh wow this is looking lovely, I really like the pre shading effects through the paint.  Great work.

Chris

Thanks Chris

21 hours ago, pacificmustang said:

Looking great Mick

Bruce 

Thanks Bruce. 

• Like 1

White gets a vote from me too. 

Can I ask, this option  comes in the eduard chattanooga choo choo boxing and makes reference for the squadron using RAF colours for the green and grey. What colours have you plumped for? 

Cheers 

10 hours ago, Antb said:

White gets a vote from me too. 

Can I ask, this option  comes in the eduard chattanooga choo choo boxing and makes reference for the squadron using RAF colours for the green and grey. What colours have you plumped for? 

G'day @Antb

I've chosen to use a mix of Gunze colours for the top and bottom.

For the topside, I used interior green for the base coat followed by Olive Drab and then splotchy bits of RAF green.  I used stencil mask to apply these colours. I then went back over it with a very thin mix of the lower grey with some desert sand to warm the colours a bit.

The underside grey is a mix of three different shades that have been mottled and dis-tempered. Again, the final colour that went over it is the combo of Neutral Grey and desert yellow per the top-side to give the grey a touch of warmth.

The earlier shots of the underside give you an idea of just how dark some of the greys were.

Hope that helps.

Mick

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Mick Drover said:

G'day @Antb

I've chosen to use a mix of Gunze colours for the top and bottom.

For the topside, I used interior green for the base coat followed by Olive Drab and then splotchy bits of RAF green.  I used stencil mask to apply these colours. I then went back over it with a very thin mix of the lower grey with some desert sand to warm the colours a bit.

The underside grey is a mix of three different shades that have been mottled and dis-tempered. Again, the final colour that went over it is the combo of Neutral Grey and desert yellow per the top-side to give the grey a touch of warmth.

The earlier shots of the underside give you an idea of just how dark some of the greys were.

Hope that helps.

Mick

Fab, thanks very much