1/72 Italeri Wessex [finished]

40 minutes ago, perdu said:

Have we taught you how to print your own transfers yet?

🤔

Nope. Nor will you. 😉

• Haha 1

After a week of muckaboutery I've got some primer on ready for some slap. I like this bit when the filler disappears forever.

spacer.png

• Like 6

Looking good.  Still messing about with the insides of mine.  Got some colour on today but forgot to take any pictures.

AW

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Andwil said:

Looking good.  Still messing about with the insides of mine.  Got some colour on today but forgot to take any pictures.

AW

Normally it's a matter of hours, not days between the fuselage halves going together and the primer going on, but I had that nose to deal with, also I'd drybrushed the mesh bits on the nose and around the rotor in (as it turned out) the wrong shade of green after three runs at it (new technique for me) - only then to have to take it off again and do it in a different green. 

It's a nice enough kit in terms of fit and buildability but it's marred by some sloppiness on Italeri's part in the moulding and the instructions. Speaking of which, I'm going to have a go at correcting that wrong-way tail rotor later...

Nicely done.Ive not made any kits for over 3 years and i have 3 of the Italeri Wessex kits in front of me.Luckily in the past i bought an update kit for one of them and some P.E.I got Modeldecals sets for them and serial numbers and roundels.Im more or less out of the box with most kits and handpaint a lot.I noticed on fleabay that the 48th ones are getting scarce.Might even break open the glue and tools and do a Wessex myself!!!,Stashed away ive got Revell seakings and Sweet ones in 1.44th.Real hoarder i am.

Watching with interest.

Richard.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, panzerlehr46 said:

Nicely done.Ive not made any kits for over 3 years and i have 3 of the Italeri Wessex kits in front of me.Luckily in the past i bought an update kit for one of them and some P.E.I got Modeldecals sets for them and serial numbers and roundels.Im more or less out of the box with most kits and handpaint a lot.I noticed on fleabay that the 48th ones are getting scarce.Might even break open the glue and tools and do a Wessex myself!!!,Stashed away ive got Revell seakings and Sweet ones in 1.44th.Real hoarder i am.

Watching with interest.

Richard.

I'll look out for your build then! I bought a Modeldecal sheet with loads of options only to revert back to the OOB ones for reasons outlined above...

On 7/2/2020 at 4:56 PM, hendie said:

does this ring any bells? (must have been winter time 82/83? as we have long sleeves!)

_CZoa9yOvirOKb8aj0fgosGVLCrW7LP_7lO-QV9N

(not my photo so will remove if anyone objects)

I was there from 82 to 84.  

You can see why the Cold War never got hot............LOL.

• Haha 3

My creations im afraid wouldnt merit inclusion on Modelling sites such as this.I have to handpaint as i have nowhere to use an airbrush in a small flat.Will watch from afar at other nice builds.

Cheers from Richard.

12 minutes ago, panzerlehr46 said:

My creations im afraid wouldnt merit inclusion on Modelling sites such as this.I have to handpaint as i have nowhere to use an airbrush in a small flat.Will watch from afar at other nice builds.

Cheers from Richard.

I use hairy sticks too. Nowt wrong with that!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

She's a mean, clean green machine! The primer showed up a few imperfections that I needed to sort out, not least a rotten job on the spine. Glad I spent time on the right shade of green. Now for the Klear...

spacer.png

Edited by TonyOD
  • Like 8

2 minutes ago, Andwil said:

Coming along nicely, you’ll be finished in no time.

AW

"In no time" is a relative statement 😀. This is a slow one for me. I have a mate who seems to rattle them out (to a pretty decent standard) in a matter of days. Must be using acrylics...

1 hour ago, TonyOD said:

"In no time" is a relative statement 😀. This is a slow one for me. I have a mate who seems to rattle them out (to a pretty decent standard) in a matter of days. Must be using acrylics...

Umm, in that case I suggest you don't look at the duration of most of my builds.

Glaciers come and go

Species become extinct...

Now I feel guilty

Ish

• Haha 5

That's a great job @LostCosmonauts, love the little green berets. Kind offer too. I'll have a look when I get home. I don't want to mix decals from the Italeri and the Modeldecal sheets if I can help it because the whites on one are quite different from the whites on the other.

• Thanks 1

I've had a look @LostCosmonauts and realised that I'm committed to XS522 out the box because of the colours I've painted the tail rotor and wheels. It's a nice scheme. Thanks again for the offer.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, LostCosmonauts said:

Fair enough, if you change your mind just give me a shout.

I’ve another Matchbox Wessex in the stash queue waiting on an alternative scheme

If you need any of the stuff on Modeldecal 96 give me a shout. I'm likely to use the Buzby zap for the nose as the yellow is a bit less acid, and those rectangle things that go along the top of the tail because the white outlines are printed out of register on the Italeri sheet, otherwise I won't be touching the various squadron and ship insignia.

• Thanks 1

p.s. if I remember rightly their SAR Sea King sheet has a random Mirage 5 on it as well. If those don’t float your modelling boat then well worth posting on the Trade board. I got a nice F-16 kit as a straight swap for the pair 

• Like 1

Another 48 hours and the only progress I've made (apart from a bit of rotorage) is to make the Wessex green and shiny instead of green and not shiny.

Usual method: wait for paint to dry; apply coat of Klear; wait 15 minutes; apply second coat of Klear; wait 15 minutes; apply decals; wait 15 minutes; apply another coat of Klear, and observe clouding and or decal moving about or just coming off; swear; repair or replace decal; more Klear; wait maybe half an hour; spray on varnish; handle while still sticky to do underside; end up with ropy finish

This time: wait 24 hours for paint to dry; apply coat of Klear; wait three hours; apply second coat of Klear; don't touch for 24 hours so it can cure properly; apply decals; leave for 24 hours; apply Klear over any decals that have a stencil laid over them; wait 24 hours; apply final stencils; wait 24 hours; final coat of Klear; wait another 24 hours; stick on fiddly bits, and spray final coat of varnish, but touch nothing for 24 hours.

But it's hard, so very, very hard.

spacer.png

Edited by TonyOD
  • Like 3
  • Haha 3

I'm not sure if you're considering these rotors finished yet - I see you have the yellow tips masked...

107837450_283894202832117_15323176467670

On the Wessex, the leading edge of the rotor blades was covered by a (black) neoprene strip

SDC10552.jpg&key=05f9c6cbc7ceccac5bfd693

are you using MicroSet/Sol with your decals?  This may be worth reading through

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, hendie said:

I'm not sure if you're considering these rotors finished yet - I see you have the yellow tips masked...

107837450_283894202832117_15323176467670

On the Wessex, the leading edge of the rotor blades was covered by a (black) neoprene strip

SDC10552.jpg&key=05f9c6cbc7ceccac5bfd693

are you using MicroSet/Sol with your decals?  This may be worth reading through

No, far from finished. Current state of play:

spacer.png

Green masked off for black on the leading edges and undersides. Useful to see that the tips are partly black though.

Thanks for the decal thing, I'll give it a look. I seem to remember seeing a pinned post on the decalling page with some interesting stuff on Klear solutions.

Edited by TonyOD
  • Like 1