1/72 Italeri Wessex [finished]

A bit more tinkering this morning, the cockpit and cabin are in place though it took a fair amount of dry fitting, sanding and trial and error to get a good join for the fuselage halves (smart move to take a dremel to those internal pins, @Andwil). I'm slightly vexed by the gap between the fuselage and the cabin floor, surely a trip hazard for a commando exiting the aircraft. Those troublesome steps are now more-or-less where they should be. Nose not stuck on at this point.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by TonyOD
  • Like 4

Like all my builds this one has its fair share of "ah cr*p" moment. Today's was when I realised that I'd thrown away the transparent sprue, still with the remaining window for the cabin door attached. Cue anguished howl.

Fortunately it occurred to be that I have the Revell HAS.3 in the stash, which is from the same moulds. On that variant there is no window in the cabin door, but - oh happy day! - the full complement of windows is right there on the transparent sprue.

In fairness I probably wouldn't have even thought of it if I hadn't been watching @Andwil's HAS.31b build in the helicopter GB, wherein he has added the window. So thanks for that!

Edited by TonyOD
  • Like 4

On 02/07/2020 at 15:08, TonyOD said:

Thanks for that @hendie. Without trying too hard I've identified that with this kit there is incorrect step configuration, two windows the wrong way round, an incorrect squadron insignia and the strong possibility of a dodgy rotor. Now I'm no rivet counter but this is a bit much. Plus the box states that this a/c was with HMS London in 1981, far as I can see it never went near that ship at any point in its career.  (It's feasible that in fact this is an accurate representation of XS522 at some point in time, but the labelling of the a/c on the box is wrong?)

I've found a nice looking Modeldecal aftermarket sheet which I can pick up for a few quid. There are two representations of XS522 (in 1976 and 1978) plus numerous other options, I wanted to go with all-over green rather than camo so it looks like a good punt. The pics of it online aren't very clear but I can see the "Busby" nose art that Italeri purports to have been on this chopper, interestingly alongside 707 NAS squadron insignia. It's all very confusing!

XS522 was indeed assigned to HMS LONDON for her final deployment to the West Indies/Belize in late 1981 when it was with 772 Sqn C Flt which normally deployed with the RFAs.  I'd guess the justification is that a Mk 5 is far better for lugging bootnecks in and out of the jungle than a Mk 3.  I've not got a colour photo but there' a black and white one here in HMS LONDONs deployment newsletter (scroll down to page 49).  Definitely got the Busby logo on the nose and the hi-vis markings.  Can't see a Sqn crest anywhere.

Looking good.  I've got a couple of 1/48 Italeri Wessex in the stash so glad to hear they seem to be the best of the bunch.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Chewbacca said:

XS522 was indeed assigned to HMS LONDON for her final deployment to the West Indies/Belize in late 1981 when it was with 772 Sqn C Flt which normally deployed with the RFAs.  I'd guess the justification is that a Mk 5 is far better for lugging bootnecks in and out of the jungle than a Mk 3.  I've not got a colour photo but there' a black and white one here in HMS LONDONs deployment newsletter (scroll down to page 49).  Definitely got the Busby logo on the nose and the hi-vis markings.  Can't see a Sqn crest anywhere.

Looking good.  I've got a couple of 1/48 Italeri Wessex in the stash so glad to hear they seem to be the best of the bunch.

This is brilliant, and what a fantastic photo, thank you!

I've done a bit further digging - I looked at the decal through a magnifying glass and could see the word LONDON. In fact it's not, as I thought, a crudely rendered 707 NAS crest: 

spacer.png

But the insignia of HMS London herself (the coat of arms of the City of London does feature a red sword):

spacer.png

Maybe the red sword in both is pure coincidence. You can get lost in this stuff...

I wonder what the story is behind the Busby art. I remember the Bernard Cribbins-voiced British Telecom ads of the 1980s featuring said bird, he was really annoying. As well as the yellow Busby on the nose, the tail features further artwork - the words "make someone happy" (the slogan from the ads) and what appears to be a deceased Busby!

Anyway I now have the Modeldecal sheet on the way so I have a bunch of options to choose from. Who knows how this Wessex will end up?

Edited by TonyOD

On 6/30/2020 at 7:02 AM, viper-30 said:

lots of moaners about Flys Wessex it can be made ok out of the box

Unless you know what you're looking at. 

If in doubt, Guys, check Hendies Wessex builds. Lots of great pictures and advice. We're both ex Wessex bashers, which kind of helps.

'And what's with the lighter shade on the nose?' A replacement nosedoor. Westland spares came in a light green BTW.

The tail rotor blades were issued by the blade bay so we got the colour they gave us. Green when I was working on them.

I think I have a couple of the Busby decals (ex matchbox?) in the spares box.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

If in doubt, Guys, check Hendies Wessex builds. Lots of great pictures and advice. We're both ex Wessex bashers, which kind of helps.

It certainly does!

Edited by TonyOD

You are making better progress than me, I have been stuffing around with scratch built seats, trying to come up with something I can be happy with, so far to no avail.

AW

10 hours ago, Andwil said:

You are making better progress than me, I have been stuffing around with scratch built seats, trying to come up with something I can be happy with, so far to no avail.

AW

Ah, but "faster" rarely means "better" in this game! (What is this "scratch built" of which you speak?)

Two weeks in it's starting to look a bit like a helicopter, albeit at the moment a very scruffy one. It's funny how the more you get into it the more you notice dimensional inaccuracies - nothing that the casual observer would notice, and it will look like a Wessex in the sense that you're unlikely to mistake it for a Spitfire, but some of it is all over the place. Some inaccuracies I can have a crack at fixing (e.g. those steps) but others are clearly beyond my skills and I won't lose any sleep.

I've spent an unusual amount of time with the kit over the last couple of days, normally I'll just do half an hour or maybe an hour at a stretch, but modelling is very much secondary to outdoor pursuits and I need to get outside today!

I've found some better pictures of my incoming decal sheet and am considering my options!

spacer.png

Edited by TonyOD
  • Like 4

22 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

'And what's with the lighter shade on the nose?' A replacement nosedoor. Westland spares came in a light green BTW.

The tail rotor blades were issued by the blade bay so we got the colour they gave us. Green when I was working on them.

I think I have a couple of the Busby decals (ex matchbox?) in the spares box.

YesPete I realise that if you know what your looking at there are issues.. spent many a happy hour flying around in them .. yes the modeller will want to make corrections.. but if need be it can be made and looks ok for those that don’t worry .. that’s all .

• Like 3

Well my decal sheet has arrived. The first thing that's remarkable about it is that while it features a whole bunch of Wessexes it doesn't include serial numbers for any of them - if you want serial numbers you need to buy a whole separate sheet, which is a bit naughty if you ask me, Modeldecal! The second remarkable thing is that as well as all the Wessexes it includes a Belgian Mirage, which seems a bit random - is there a link that I'm missing?

spacer.png

Luckily for me the sheet includes no less than three representations of XS522 at various stages in its career (and I do have the serial numbers for that one). I'm going to go for the RFA Olna/1976 option, mainly because I like the Olna crest the most but also because there's a fantastic photograph that I can refer to. 829 NAS it says on the decal sheet, though it XS522 might have been with 846 NAS at that time.

RFA Olna was a "fast fleet tanker" that carried a complement of three Wessexes and later Sea Kings. 

spacer.png

It's almost as much fun finding out more about the aircraft as it is building the model!

Edited by TonyOD

On 05/07/2020 at 10:37, TonyOD said:

Ah, but "faster" rarely means "better" in this game! (What is this "scratch built" of which you speak?)

Two weeks in it's starting to look a bit like a helicopter, albeit at the moment a very scruffy one. It's funny how the more you get into it the more you notice dimensional inaccuracies - nothing that the casual observer would notice, and it will look like a Wessex in the sense that you're unlikely to mistake it for a Spitfire, but some of it is all over the place. Some inaccuracies I can have a crack at fixing (e.g. those steps) but others are clearly beyond my skills and I won't lose any sleep.

I've spent an unusual amount of time with the kit over the last couple of days, normally I'll just do half an hour or maybe an hour at a stretch, but modelling is very much secondary to outdoor pursuits and I need to get outside today!

I've found some better pictures of my incoming decal sheet and am considering my options!

spacer.png

Er, may I invite you to take a look at that nose filter box.

Latterly may I also invite you to take a ruler, followed by a file to it.

It looks as if Italeri decided to make a snow plough winter issue Wessex.

Don't be offended, Matchbox did the same.

Those nose flters are ludicrous.

In my opinion, other more valid opinions are available.  :)

As for Modeldecals' attitude to serial numbers the policy was to get as many versions onto a standard sized sheet, accepting that most committed modellers would have letter and number sheets available anyway.

It was a policy I applauded then and still do, you might be surprised at how valuable replacement serials can be when Sod pops his head round the corner.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, perdu said:

Er, may I invite you to take a look at that nose filter box.

Latterly may I also invite you to take a ruler, followed by a file to it.

It looks as if Italeri decided to make a snow plough winter issue Wessex.

Don't be offended, Matchbox did the same.

Those nose flters are ludicrous.

In my opinion, other more valid opinions are available.  :)

As for Modeldecals' attitude to serial numbers the policy was to get as many versions onto a standard sized sheet, accepting that most committed modellers would have letter and number sheets available anyway.

It was a policy I applauded then and still do, you might be surprised at how valuable replacement serials can be when Sod pops his head round the corner.

Blimey. 🙄

You know what, I hadn't even noticed, which says a lot about my attention to detail I guess... but now you mention it. That top lip to scale would be sticking out by what, a foot or more? I'll have to have a ponder on this one, it's some fairly major surgery by my standards and I'd risk messing the whole thing up if I get it wrong. It would help if I hadn't stuck the nose on already 🤣

Here's the thing: I'm working at a while different level to lot of the modellers on this forum (witness: does not have decal sheets of serial numbers kicking around). I've just about worked up the confidence to do little corrections like those steps, reshaping a nose might well be beyond me. 

Found this which is where it should be at: 

spacer.png

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, TonyOD said:

Here's the thing: I'm working at a while different level to lot of the modellers on this forum (witness: does not have decal sheets of serial numbers kicking around).

Dont worry too much about anything

The whole thing is just to make the model YOU WANT, other nosey gits like me are often only adding to the burden

does not have decal sheets of serial numbers kicking around

Yet

I predict that as you get more involved you will, don't push it, just take it as a curve for learning only what you want to.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, perdu said:

Dont worry too much about anything

The whole thing is just to make the model YOU WANT, other nosey gits like me are often only adding to the burden

does not have decal sheets of serial numbers kicking around

Yet

I predict that as you get more involved you will, don't push it, just take it as a curve for learning only what you want to.

I'm going to give it a look over later to see if I can do anything with it. Carving it back that much and still having a hole anywhere near the same size as the intake cover thingy seems like a big ask. If not, I'll brace myself for a few slings and arrows if/when I present the end product for inspection 😆.

The advice is much appreciated!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Dont forget you are being brave enough to post your work in what has become very technical field of artistry.

And the artist is always the artist.

Do what and when you like and let me be one of dozens of us who thank you for having the stones to post.

We all enjoy seeing what the modelling gods have sent us to try and to entertain us, every model is a lesson and a joy.

( I will bugger off now and try this new pomposity cure I was sent out of Nigeria from the prince who has been a frequent correspondent re: my bank account, he says this will loosen me up. Yippee!)

;)

• Like 3

Well, @perdu, after no small amount of deliberation I took a very deep breath and went at that nose with dremel, files and sandpaper, and now I have a front end that looks more like a Wessex, less like a ski jump. It's going to need a bit of filler and tidying up but I'm very pleased with this outcome. Thanks again for the heads up.

spacer.png

• Like 9

21 hours ago, TonyOD said:

Well my decal sheet has arrived. The first thing that's remarkable about it is that while it features a whole bunch of Wessexes it doesn't include serial numbers for any of them - if you want serial numbers you need to buy a whole separate sheet, which is a bit naughty if you ask me, Modeldecal! The second remarkable thing is that as well as all the Wessexes it includes a Belgian Mirage, which seems a bit random - is there a link that I'm missing?

If you find the link, I'd be fascinated to know.  I've often wondered why aftermarket decal suppliers put sometimes random types together

Luckily for me the sheet includes no less than three representations of XS522 at various stages in its career (and I do have the serial numbers for that one). I'm going to go for the RFA Olna/1976 option, mainly because I like the Olna crest the most but also because there's a fantastic photograph that I can refer to. 829 NAS it says on the decal sheet, though it XS522 might have been with 846 NAS at that time.

I would be extremely surprised if it was 829.  I flew with 829 Sqn for 7 years in 4 different appointments (albeit in the 80s and early 90s) and in 1976 it was purely a Wasp squadron providing operational flying training, headquarters and parenting small ship's flights.  

It's almost as much fun finding out more about the aircraft as it is building the model!

That is all part of the fun 😀

• Like 2

So here's a thing.

The instructions depict two FAA colour schemes, a camo job and an all-over dark green. They say the dark green in the camo and the all-over dark green are both FS 34079. I've been using Humbrol 116 as an equivalent. I've got as far as painting some of the smaller pieces, the upper faces of the rotor blades and the meshy bits around the nose and the rotor (dry brushing over black). I've been vaguely troubled that it looks a bit olivey compared to pics of helicopters of this type, and for that matter the artwork on the back of the box.

And now I look at the box and there it says that the all-over green isn't FS 34079, it's FS 34092, a darker green that translates into Humbrol as no. 149.

Have I done something to upset Italeri, maybe in a previous life?

Fortunately I was just about getting to priming so haven't painted the fuselage. Maybe I'll see if I've got 149 in and make a comparison.

Italeri are doing my nut.

Right, done a bit of research. Xtracolor X028 is something called RN helicopter olive drab, and there doesn't seem to be an equivalent in any other range. However looking at pics of various Wessexes I get the impression that this colour was used on aircraft with low vis roundels and black or white lettering in combat zones like the Falklands. Pics of all-green Wessexes with high regular roundels/white lettering seem to be a darker, "bluer" green. I could get a tin of the Xtracolor from Hannants but their minimum orders and shipping charges kill me. Or I could get Humbrol 149 from a local stockist. Or I could use Revell 67, which I have and which is reportedly an equivalent to H149. Or I could stop getting so wound up about minute differences in shades of green that nobody will care about but me.

Any of the Wessexperts (see what I did there?) shed any light on the colour of XS522 before I start scrubbing paint off stuff? @hendie maybe? Thanks

Edited by TonyOD
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, TonyOD said:

Have I done something to upset Italeri, maybe in a previous life?

WE HAVE ALL DONE SOMETHING TO UPSET ITALERI, maybe in a previous life...

There are Wessexperts with nautical backgrounds around here, you will see but Hendie is ex-RAF and so is unlikely to know the answer.

Matt Olive Green 268 it says on the Modeldecals instructions

51OzaKY70qL._AC_SL1023_.jpg

I would just aim to get close enough for what your eye sees.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

as Bill rightly points out, I'm ex RAF, and to be honest I'm really only familiar with the ones I worked on. I can answer the occasional question about structure and various mechanical bits but colors are not my thing.

As Bill states - go with something that you think is close enough - that's what I do in a lot of cases

• Like 1

7 hours ago, perdu said:

WE HAVE ALL DONE SOMETHING TO UPSET ITALERI, maybe in a previous life...

There are Wessexperts with nautical backgrounds around here, you will see but Hendie is ex-RAF and so is unlikely to know the answer.

Matt Olive Green 268 it says on the Modeldecals instructions

51OzaKY70qL._AC_SL1023_.jpg

I would just aim to get close enough for what your eye sees.

Yeah I spotted that too. I think it's the Xtracolour one I mentioned is an equivalent. Thing is (to my eye at least) there are two kinds of all-green RN Wessex in play - the ones with matt finish and low-vis roundels (e.g. Falkands) which are very olive and very drab, and the ones like XS522 (as I'm trying to do her) which are a darker, bluer shade of green with something of a gloss finish.

On the right is the colour I've been using (per Italeri's instructions). In the middle is Humbrol 149, which I think is the right shade to use. On the left is (according to some conversion charts) the Revell equivalent to H149, though it looks nothing like it LOL. Bit of remedial work to do, but no dramas.

spacer.png

Generally speaking the issues I face during my (to be fair quite amateurish) builds are normally the result of my own carelessness or clumsiness, but on this one the kit manufacturer seems to have it in for me!

Edited by TonyOD

It occurred to me this morning that not only are the serial numbers missing from the sheet, but also the codes. I quote from Modeldecal: "you will need to make up the serial numbers and (most of) the codes from various Modeldecal sets (mainly nos. 36A, 58, 59 & 60) or other sources". Now maybe I'm just spoiled, but I'm kind of used to having everything I need to complete a particular aircraft in one place (as is the case with every other aftermarket decal sheet I've ever bought) without the need to find and purchase yet more decals. At this point I can't justify the additional expenditure on more decals to indulge myself with RFA Olna, so back to HMS London and Buzby I go. 

I take @perdu's point about Modeldecal wishing to cram as many different options onto a standard sheet though. I think this is one of those things that separates "proper modellers" from rank amateurs like me. I guess I'm just not Modeldecal's target market.

All part of the learning curve... 😉