1/72 Italeri Wessex [finished]

I used to agree emphatically about this, but one day at work the Saudis parked a Herc on the disused runway next to us - the office was then in portacabins on the parallel taxiway.  Going to the door, I looked at the beautifully painted aircraft (not a battered veteran) parked perhaps 100 ft away - and I could see the panel lines.  Just,, admittedly, and nothing like the great black streaks seen on some models, but they could be made out.  Since then I've been a little less dogmatic, at least when it comes to finely-done examples.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Chewbacca said:

Some people I'm sure would!  I recall a discussion with a fairly elderly gentleman a few years ago on the beach at Bournemouth Air Show after he emphatically told his grandchildren to look up at the Spitfire.  It was a  Sea Fury.  Now I do concede that there is a fair difference between a Sea Fury and a T7 but I'll bet there's someone out there who'll look at the grey/green camouflage and argue its a Spit!

One of my favourite television shows these days is BBC's The Repair Shop (possibly the only output from the BBC that I will ever enjoy watching) and this week the team were invited to repair a model Spitfire hand made by the owner's relative, (probably his father/grandfather), which he made between sorties in Bomber Command one which he failed to return from like so many others those grim days.

The craftsman made an excellent job of the repair and the owner went away very happy with Dad's Spitfire, it had a repaired propeller and replaced wings as well as sympathetically restored paint work.

My point?

The model was very definitely a model of a P47 in RAF markings, with a delicately carved engine cowling painted yellow with clear cooling gills at the back.

But it was a Spitfire because his dad(Granddad) made it and it has always been the Spitfire in the family.

Bless 'em

• Like 9

22 minutes ago, perdu said:

The model was very definitely a model of a P47 in RAF markings, with a delicately carved engine cowling painted yellow with clear cooling gills at the back.

I guess they’ve had all sorts of comments given the caption when Will Kirk posted it on instagram

If I remember reading an interview rightly the ceramics expert (Kirsten?) used to make model plane kits as she loved doing the paint schemes. Maybe she’s a member on here?

Edited by LostCosmonauts
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

They all put me to shame and are the kind of skilful folks I aspired to be in my youth.

Instagram huh?

Almost never heard of it, glad it has been part of a discussion somewhere.

The story needed telling, Will did it proud.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Graham Boak said:

I used to agree emphatically about this, but one day at work the Saudis parked a Herc on the disused runway next to us - the office was then in portacabins on the parallel taxiway.  Going to the door, I looked at the beautifully painted aircraft (not a battered veteran) parked perhaps 100 ft away - and I could see the panel lines.  Just,, admittedly, and nothing like the great black streaks seen on some models, but they could be made out.  Since then I've been a little less dogmatic, at least when it comes to finely-done examples.

It's a funny one this. I even recall seeing someone comment (on another forum I think) that kit box art these days sometimes overstates the panel lines not because that's what the actual aircraft looks like but because that's what a "good" build of the kit will look like. I've stuck a final layer of Klear on this morning before final spray varnish and it's actually darkened my panel lines a bit. I was going to use dark grey but decided to use black as the green is quite dark. they look... well, alright I think, reasonably subtle, but if you scaled them up 72 times I'm sure they'd look ridiculous!

That's a lovely story about the "Spitfire" @perdu, hadn't seen that one. Just goes to show that model aeroplanes can mean different things to different people. (Just occurred to me that "perdu" is French for "lost", is there a story behind this? 😁)

Nothing much to report on the Wessex, the pylons are now on in the right positions (hurrah!) and I've stuck on some of those fiddly outside bits, 1/48 has never been so appealing. Doesn't merit a photo. Going away for a couple of days in God's Own County tomorrow and I'll be glad of a bit of respite from the bloody thing.

• Haha 1

I agree it is more a fashion than a genuine attempt at modelling reality.  A bit like "Hollywood history", little like the real thing.  (Not that Hollywood itself is uniquely guilty.)  Certainly a demonstration of the technical skills of the modeller, if that's the important feature.

• Like 3

So after a couple of days in the glorious Yorkshire Dales I eagerly set about whipping off the various bits of masking, tape (glass bit) and Maskol (vents). I had a fair bit of tidying up to do and still do. I never seem to have much luck with canopies. I masked the main canopy in such as way as not to put too many layers of paint on it but still I found myself with residual bits of dry paint around the framing but managed to tidy most of it up with the end of a cocktail stick. I've lifted off one complete section of framing to that will need touching up, and somehow a small amount of dust has found its way into the cockpit. Likewise the Maskol happily peeled of from underneath the paint and left it behind in some ppaces. I think going around the edges first with the tip of a sharp knife must be the answer. 

That said, once I'd taken my magnifying visor thing off it looked, well, alright.

There's a little tiny part like a loop around the top of the tailfin that's fallen off. Won't be seeing that again...

spacer.png

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Apologies for going off topic, but I have a problem with seeing your pictures. All I get is a little grey box with the text 'spacer.png' in it. When I click on it I get to see the picture, but then I can't get back to the thread at all and have to open Britmodeller all over again in a new tab! Does anyone know why I have this? I am using Firefox on Win10. I only have the problem on this thread, as far as I can tell.

• Sad 1

On 7/29/2020 at 6:40 PM, Jur said:

Apologies for going off topic, but I have a problem with seeing your pictures. All I get is a little grey box with the text 'spacer.png' in it. When I click on it I get to see the picture, but then I can't get back to the thread at all and have to open Britmodeller all over again in a new tab! Does anyone know why I have this? I am using Firefox on Win10. I only have the problem on this thread, as far as I can tell.

Sorry I have no answer to this, I know less about computers than I do about building model aeroplanes...

The end is in sight! This evening I have been doing panel lines on rotor blades, and sorting out the antenna wires using that Uschi thread. Brilliant stuff, but like working with spider web.

spacer.png

• Like 6

8 hours ago, Andwil said:

Nice work with the aerials Tony, the model is really looking good.

AW

Thanks. I'm glad I went to the trouble of making sure the pylons are in the right places now, the wires basically run parallel to the sweep of the fuselage and tail and it would have looked all wrong if the middle pair were as far back as they had been!

• Like 1

On 7/29/2020 at 6:40 PM, Jur said:

I’m having the same issue now. I’ve had a look at the “help” section and I suspect it’s because I’ve been using Facebook to put pictures on the forum, which isn’t a good idea apparently. I’m guessing it’s because the URL it assigns to the pic expires after a while. I’m going to get an image hoster sorted out and when I have a spare hour I’ll repair the WIP.

just to try one out:

spacer.png

Rotors done. Those little yellow wraparound decals had me going cross-eyed. Off to the seaside for a few days, but I should have this kicked into touch by the end of the week. 🤞

spacer.png

• Like 3

These last two pictures now work for me, thanks. Good work on those rotor decals!

Re. a picture host, I have been using Postimage for several years now. It is free and it works fine for me.

• Like 1