Revell 1/72 F14D NE106 of VF-2 "Bounty Hunters"

Really wishing I'd come across this build before your last post...🥺

Hope you can salvage it to the appropriate standard, this has been a fantastic treatment of an otherwise simple kit!

All the best for the rescue efforts...

Alan

• Thanks 1

If it’s any consolation I had a lesson in why IKEA supplies wall brackets for shelving units earlier this year when my brand new Billy bookcase tipped towards and sent almost my whole collection flying; took me two days to repair them (except for my Gamecock which needs a bit more work than the rest and is still in a box in pieces).

resized_f1190b05-0a21-4bc0-9fda-df6695d2

As with most aspects of the hobby it’s best to rebuild and move on ( probably works for life too :) )

Edited by Marklo
  • Sad 8

2 hours ago, Alan P said:

Really wishing I'd come across this build before your last post...🥺

Hope you can salvage it to the appropriate standard, this has been a fantastic treatment of an otherwise simple kit!

All the best for the rescue efforts...

Alan

Thanks Alan, it'll be ok in the end, this'll be the third time I've dressed the canopy join in so hopefully getting the hang of it now!

2 hours ago, Marklo said:

If it’s any consolation I had a lesson in why IKEA supplies wall brackets for shelving units earlier this year when my brand new Billy bookcase tipped towards and sent almost my whole collection flying; took me two days to repair them (except for my Gamecock which needs a bit more work than the rest and is still in a box in pieces).

resized_f1190b05-0a21-4bc0-9fda-df6695d2

As with most aspects of the hobby it’s best to rebuild and move on ( probably works for life too :) )

Oh wow, that photo sent a shiver down my spine! I feel like there's a self-help guide just waiting to be written about "plastic modeling and the art of zen"...

• Thanks 1

As i said last night, it could have been worse! A bit hard to see in the photo but some effort will be needed to tidy up the canopy join and I've already started to work on the split nose seam. Once the repairs are done I need to finish the last light on the fin, do a few remaining touch ups and then start to add decals - what could go wrong?!?

50736614817_9229a3ac1e_c.jpg

• Like 3

On 15/09/2020 at 15:51, SaminCam said:

I'm calling the first wheel bay done, now on to the second once I've replenished supplies of thin copper wire...

50345164526_506c34e3ee_z.jpg

50345164421_5edd0e7d38_z.jpg

Managed to make a pilgrimage to Duxford at the weekend as well. Key here was the 5k 80th Anniversary BoB "dash" they were hosting in the morning which got my better half interested - after a successful run around the air field we had a very enjoyable couple of hours in the museum, so much so that I've had a request to build a Vulcan or Blackbird next!  

50345164931_f8d32a22c1_z.jpg

Well.. I've just caught up with this build, sorry to have missed it until now and well done for the recovery after the drop. Always a scary thing. I had a photography light  topple over onto the nose of my Airfix Phantom after I'd finished it - front canopy popped off and rear bracket cracked (not through), nose wheels pinged off and some other dents etc. Took more than 50p in the swear box and some controlled breathing before moving on again to repairs - but it was all sorted.

I love the main gear bays... I'd yet to work out what to do with my Academy ones, but his looks a superb approach. I'll get  out the fine wires and have a dabble.

Will ensure I keep following your build. And I'll have a proper read on the grey shades and techniques later.

Cheers

Jonathan

Afternoon all! After the short vertical flight on Friday evening I've tidied up the damaged nose and redone the paint work. It looks ok, the preshading has almost all gone in the effected area but Ill use oils later on to add layers of weathering anyway, so not too great a loss.

I've started with the decals, one of my favourite parts of the process, and I'm really happy so far. I was warned by Tony that the print-scale markings are very thin so i dipped them in cold water and was super careful - this seems to work well and now they are on they have settled down well with a bit of decal softener. I realised this morning that I've forgotten the anti-slip paint either side of the cockpit so will get that masked and painted this afternoon, then back to the decaling.

It's nice not having to go to work!

50743642336_03f2b8b2f8_c.jpg

• Like 3

A few more decals applied, starting to come to life now!

50746808351_c972410355_c.jpg

While the print-scale transfers are lovely and thin and are going down well it's not always obvious where to put them - the instructions they come with are basic at best so most of the placement is being done with the help of photos found on google. One question I haven't answered yet is whether there should be a star and bars on the wings and whether it should be in grey or blue - if anyone has a convincing answer either way it would be greatly appreciated! While we're on the subject, the star and bars under the cockpit has annoyed me because the bars are transparent so don't look quite right overlaid on the stripes - I might try and fix this with some paint and a fine brush once everything is sealed in with varnish.  

I think the next steps are to finish putting decals on the top sides and then turn my attention to the wheel wells which need detail painting and weathering. Once this is done I can install the undercarriage and get her up on her feet. Thanks for looking! 

50746067703_314199611b_c.jpg

• Like 3

On 12/19/2020 at 6:31 PM, Jon020 said:

Well.. I've just caught up with this build, sorry to have missed it until now and well done for the recovery after the drop. Always a scary thing. I had a photography light  topple over onto the nose of my Airfix Phantom after I'd finished it - front canopy popped off and rear bracket cracked (not through), nose wheels pinged off and some other dents etc. Took more than 50p in the swear box and some controlled breathing before moving on again to repairs - but it was all sorted.

I love the main gear bays... I'd yet to work out what to do with my Academy ones, but his looks a superb approach. I'll get  out the fine wires and have a dabble.

Will ensure I keep following your build. And I'll have a proper read on the grey shades and techniques later.

Cheers

Jonathan

Thanks Jonathan, really glad you like the wheel bays - there are quite a lot of photos on google for reference but in the end there was plenty of artistic license as well. Should get around to painting some detail and weathering in the next few days and will post up some more photos. 

I somehow managed to miss your Phantom build but looking through now it is stunning, I haven't knocked a lamp on to a model yet but sounds like something I might do so will watch out! Looking forward to seeing more of your Tomcat taking shape. Cheers, Sam

• Like 2

7 hours ago, SaminCam said:

Thanks Jonathan, really glad you like the wheel bays - there are quite a lot of photos on google for reference but in the end there was plenty of artistic license as well. Should get around to painting some detail and weathering in the next few days and will post up some more photos. 

I somehow managed to miss your Phantom build but looking through now it is stunning, I haven't knocked a lamp on to a model yet but sounds like something I might do so will watch out! Looking forward to seeing more of your Tomcat taking shape. Cheers, Sam

Hi Sam,

I've a number of photos of the wheel bays to work from, the Daco book amongst them; I think the issue is not getting to overwhelmed by what's there and how to replicate it. I like your approach, very neat and impressionist, but achieves the goal nicely. Thanks for the kind comments on the phantom (don't allow the power leads to run towards the model (I don't now).

I'm off work and having furnished for the year; fortunately we're still able to get out and about for walks etc, although surrounded by tier 4s we will stick to general area, but it means there's some time each day for some work of my turkey and first paint is applied. I'm enjoying your build and look forward to seeing how it progresses. I agree that some transfers make all the difference

Cheers

Jonathan

Hello all! I hope Christmas has treated you really well, it's been hard not seeing family but still very grateful to be healthy and looking forward to a better 2021.

Fair bit of progress made on the F14 - it's been flipped on its back for a few days so I could weather the wheel bays, fix the undercarriage in place, get the wheels on (these are resin replacements which are a BIG improvement on the kit ones) and add the wheel bay doors. I've also started to finish off the decals and it feels like I'm finally getting there: missiles and exhaust nozzles are in the works and then it'll get a flat coat and some weathering with oils.

50770432877_7f25242208_c.jpg

50769567273_24376063cb_c.jpg

I was a bit worried about the strength of the wheels and undercarriage but thankfully seems fairly solid on its feet. Thanks for taking a look!

50769902683_cf557974e7_c.jpg

• Like 3

Hi Sam. Looking good. Glad you had a good Christmas, and being healthy is a good goal to keep.

The turkey is looking good... the details looking to balance nicely. 

Thanks for sharing and happy new year.

Jonathan 

P.s. which resin wheels did you use. I'm using a mix of Armoury and True Details... but yes there are plenty to choose from.

Edited by Jon020
Forgot to ask about the wheels
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Jonathan, the wheels are the True Details set for the D, they fit well once I'd drilled out the right sized hole. It's the first time I've used a resin set as the revell wheels were pretty awful so now I've found another way to spend money on this hobby! Happy New Year!

• Like 1

Happy New Year everyone! Load out for the F14 painted over the last few days - mostly done with the airbrush so lots of fiddly masking before a few final touch ups with a fine brush. The decals are from the Print Scale sheet though again there is no reference to them on their instructions. These will get a coat of varnish and a bit of weathering before they get attached to the Tomcat. 

50785874318_7aff34e578_c.jpg

Evening all,  the last few bits and pieces are getting sorted out now before the flat coat goes on. The revell Pitot probes (?) weren't great so i scratch built a set from plastic card and stretched sprue and carefully glued in place. I've also added a new nose probe kindly donated by Tony in amongst the other useful bits and pieces he sent. Hopefully next post will have some oil weathering action! 

50797226336_a79e63436a_c.jpg

50796475263_27597cce1d_c.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Afternoon all, I'm nearly there with 106. I've weathered the top side and nose with artists oils and white spirit and hopefully managed to stop before I over do it! The last few steps are to flip her over and weather underneath, finish off the exhaust nozzles and finally paint the nose probe silver - the end is in sight! Thanks for taking a look, Sam 

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 2

13 hours ago, James G said:

Wow, really great work Sam. I think I will steal the Maskol panel line/ pre-shade technique for my Hasegawa 'Cat when I get round to it...

Indeed - I plan on nicking that technique on the first occasion!

• Thanks 1

Looks really good Sam. I'm guessing you're rather pleased with it. The finish is nicely worn but not overly so, that we see on so many models of these. The cockpit detail is nice to see too... the lighter shades in there showing it well, esp the rear deck. 

Great work... looking forward to seeing it finished and, I presume, a slightly grubbier and leak-stained undersides.

I'd better crack on with an update on mine.

Best wishes

Jonathan 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Jon020 said:

Looks really good Sam. I'm guessing you're rather pleased with it. The finish is nicely worn but not overly so, that we see on so many models of these. The cockpit detail is nice to see too... the lighter shades in there showing it well, esp the rear deck. 

Great work... looking forward to seeing it finished and, I presume, a slightly grubbier and leak-stained undersides.

I'd better crack on with an update on mine.

Best wishes

Jonathan 

Thanks Jonathan, really pleased with how it's turning out, and yep, have just started weathering undersides. Agreed about the cockpit, best decision I made was to replace the kit canopy with a nice clear vacformed one so you can see inside - I'm hesitating about whether to bother trying to tint the front window green, definitely something to practice before committing...

Looking forward to seeing progress on yours!

Morning all! Having a busy couple of weeks at work so not been able to get this one over the line yet (frustrating because I have a B-24 waiting to go but I've banned myself from starting until this one is done...). 106 has been carefully positioned on its back and I'm working my way around weathering. It's a lousy photo but hopefully you can see some evidence of my efforts on the fuselage, especially compared to the wings which I haven't touched yet. 

50869715242_e2f6da4218_c.jpg

And another photo I took a few weeks ago of it the right way up!

50841765407_453efaff7a_c.jpg

• Like 2

Finished! Over the last week I've fiddled around with the remaining weathering and finished off the exhaust nozzles. RFI to follow later today hopefully. 

50893747458_6f63a4ff00_c.jpg

50894460461_abebb273fc_c.jpg

Massive thanks to everyone who followed the build with help and encouragement along the way. Next up a Coastal Command Liberator! Cheers, Sam

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 1/31/2021 at 10:07 AM, SaminCam said:

Finished! Over the last week I've fiddled around with the remaining weathering and finished off the exhaust nozzles. RFI to follow later today hopefully. 

50893747458_6f63a4ff00_c.jpg

50894460461_abebb273fc_c.jpg

Massive thanks to everyone who followed the build with help and encouragement along the way. Next up a Coastal Command Liberator! Cheers, Sam

Looks amazing- love how those exhausts turned out.

• Thanks 1