Revell 1/72 F14D NE106 of VF-2 "Bounty Hunters"

Evening all! The last bit of detailing before getting some paint down is on the rear wheel bays. Not bad ootb:

50335347002_cdc9c7731c_z.jpg

But definitely more interesting with some stretched sprue, plasticard and thin wire add:

50335188766_21a7d8a931_z.jpg

Bit more to do on this side then same treatment to the other wheel bay plus tidy up and add a few wires on the undercarriage itself to finish. Cheers, Sam

• Like 5

I'm calling the first wheel bay done, now on to the second once I've replenished supplies of thin copper wire...

50345164526_506c34e3ee_z.jpg

50345164421_5edd0e7d38_z.jpg

Managed to make a pilgrimage to Duxford at the weekend as well. Key here was the 5k 80th Anniversary BoB "dash" they were hosting in the morning which got my better half interested - after a successful run around the air field we had a very enjoyable couple of hours in the museum, so much so that I've had a request to build a Vulcan or Blackbird next!  

50345164931_f8d32a22c1_z.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 15/09/2020 at 15:51, SaminCam said:

On 15/09/2020 at 15:51, SaminCam said:

Managed to make a pilgrimage to Duxford at the weekend as well. Key here was the 5k 80th Anniversary BoB "dash" they were hosting in the morning which got my better half interested - after a successful run around the air field we had a very enjoyable couple of hours in the museum, so much so that I've had a request to build a Vulcan or Blackbird next!  

This I approve of! Vulcans are the best!

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Hook said:

Very nice indeed!

Cheers,

Andre

12 hours ago, almac said:

Just read through your WIP and your work so far is excellent. Looking forward to see how this one progresses.

Cheers Allan 

Thanks gents, afraid progress is glacial at the moment with real life and work not allowing much modelling time but nearly there with the second wheel bay and have started adding more detail to the undercarriage. Update later this week hopefully!

• Like 1

Still slow progress here... landing gear nearly done then finally some paint?!?

Before adding fiddly bits:

50418468116_225c65fcaf_z.jpg

After,  with thin copper wire, bits of stretched sprue and plasticard used to busy things up (starboard gear still needs wires...):

50418467976_1ed8c67e81_z.jpg

Thanks for dropping in! 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

What's this, some paint?!? I laid down a first coat of Mr surfacer 1000 this weekend and now touching up a few rough bits, mostly around the cockpit, with filler then more sanding. Overall really pleased with how it looks, got to love an F14!

50469171962_cb57b0826d_c.jpg

50468316428_1fa8378f21_c.jpg

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Evening all! Been a little while since I posted an update on the F14 as things are super busy at work and at home. Still, have been snatching an hour of modelling here and there gradually making some progress.

My normal pre-shading strategy is to lay down a black undercoat and then mottle the centre of panels with greys and white. Here I'm taking a different approach inspired by the maskol shading techniques over on @Tony Oliver epic F14 WiP. First I mottled the base coat with a diluted white:

50558452422_266e79028f_c.jpg

...and then masked along panel lines and on rivet holes which I want to have the "re-touched paint" effect:

50557589713_17e0acb19f_c.jpg

This was followed by a traditional, dark pre-shade along the panel lines. Once this has dried the maskol was rubbed off and you're left with the dark then light effect which looks like the paint work has been patched up:

50558452587_a64293efd3_c.jpg

So this is about where I've got to. It's quite an elaborate pre-shading technique but I'm hoping it will be effective once the TPS top coat is on and more weathering is done with oils and washes - what do you think? Next up there will be more panel line shading on the wings and the same process applied to the underside. 

To finish, a question: Below I've tried the Mr Color TPS paints out on a trusty FW190 paint mule (you can see the pre-shade effect here as well). At the bottom is the lightest tone, FS36375 so this goes on the underside. In the middle is FS36320 and at the top (and darkest) is FS35237. This is where I need your help: the printscale decal color scheme is confusing and inconsistent between side profile and top profile. From looking at photos and other builds it looks like the main topside colour (wings, fuselage, around canopy) should be the darkest shade so FS35237, and then the sides around the nose should be the bluer one, so FS36320 (middle). Is this right?!? And then which shade should the vertical stabilisers be, this link suggests FS36375: http://www.cybermodeler.com/aircraft/f-14/f-14_profile02.shtml. Some confidence in this plan before I start spraying would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

50561062277_8300086ecc.jpg

• Like 2

Vertical stabs are normally dark ghost grey. 
Same visual plane as the nose sides so the ‘middle’ grey of the three. Darkest being on top and lightest on undersides. 
Thats when they are factory fresh. 
Spot painting/corrosion control and even unit repaints makes them look very different. Seen tails in every shade. I normally use a certain pic as inspiration closest to the jet I am building. Either the actual one or a sister plane from same sqn at a similar time to get a feel for it. 

Also, the maskol post shade I did at the end after decals etc and helps to blend and weather them too. 
Not done it as part of the overall preshade process as used black basing mainly past few years. 

Will be interesting to see how this turns out. Just keep the greys thin so you don’t lose all that hard work. One thing is though is that you have done pretty much every single panel line and rivet on fuselage. Try and keep it more random next time/use reference photos of actual panels that were regularly opened/replaced and then touched up during maintenance. 
You’re going down the old school route of pre shading every single line which gives a tartan paint job effect like it’s in the Scottish Air Force...

Tony

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Tony Oliver said:

Vertical stabs are normally dark ghost grey. 
Same visual plane as the nose sides so the ‘middle’ grey of the three. Darkest being on top and lightest on undersides. 
Thats when they are factory fresh. 
Spot painting/corrosion control and even unit repaints makes them look very different. Seen tails in every shade. I normally use a certain pic as inspiration closest to the jet I am building. Either the actual one or a sister plane from same sqn at a similar time to get a feel for it. 

Also, the maskol post shade I did at the end after decals etc and helps to blend and weather them too. 
Not done it as part of the overall preshade process as used black basing mainly past few years. 

Will be interesting to see how this turns out. Just keep the greys thin so you don’t lose all that hard work. One thing is though is that you have done pretty much every single panel line and rivet on fuselage. Try and keep it more random next time/use reference photos of actual panels that were regularly opened/replaced and then touched up during maintenance. 
You’re going down the old school route of pre shading every single line which gives a tartan paint job effect like it’s in the Scottish Air Force...

Tony

Thanks Tony, makes sense with the vertical stabilisers. Understood with the maskol shading later in the process, and it looks great on your builds, but I'm not confident enough in my airbrushing skills to post-shade on top of decals, feel like I might wreck it at that point! As you say, I'm going to keep the greys really thin so the pre-shading can still be seen, seemed to work ok on the mule... I also take your point about the pre-shading being a bit uniform (maybe some deep psychology there...!) but I'll also be using oils to weather towards the end and that's where I'll try and bring in some more patchiness and variation. Thanks for taking the time to reply! Sam

• Like 1

Top coat went ok! This is two or three thin coats of Mr Color FS35237. The preshading can still be seen but it's quite subtle and nicely changes hue in different lights and held at different angles. There will be more weathering later with oils but this gives a good base to start with. I'm letting this dry properly for a few days and will then mask and paint the next shade on the sides at the front and the vertical stabilisers. Thanks for looking, enjoy your Sunday!

50579354366_59ec950cb2_c.jpg

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...

Evening all, sadly not much progress to report on the tomcat and chances of finishing by Christmas are now ~0! Work has been pretty all consuming and when i finally sat down to spray some paint this weekend the nozzle started behaving oddly and i spotted a little split in the tip... anyway that stopped me in my tracks and will have to wait for replacement to be delivered. Instead i started detailing the inside of the exhaust nozzles and will post up some pictures tomorrow of progress so far. Thanks for sticking around, more f14 adventures to come soon,  promise!

Bit of work done to snazz up the inside of the nozzles from the kit. I've cut strips of aluminium tape, embossed them with horizontal stripes and carefully applied to inside of nozzle. I've then added bits of stretched sprue to add some more texture. Not completely realistic but a lot better than before i think. This will all be painted and should come up nicely with a darkish wash.

50692607716_ecf61b9294.jpg

• Like 2

On 12/7/2020 at 10:04 PM, SaminCam said:

Bit of work done to snazz up the inside of the nozzles from the kit. I've cut strips of aluminium tape, embossed them with horizontal stripes and carefully applied to inside of nozzle. I've then added bits of stretched sprue to add some more texture. Not completely realistic but a lot better than before i think. This will all be painted and should come up nicely with a darkish wash.

50692607716_ecf61b9294.jpg

Idea duly and unashamedly nicked! 😂 

• Haha 2

First coat on and the preshade is starting to calm down. Definitely one, maybe two more coats needed, but I'll see what it looks like in daylight before doing any more. I'm using thin coats of Mr color thinned with Mr color levelling thinner,  goes down great!

50715832477_0ace89c85d_c.jpg

Before and after shots for the lights on wing and tail tips. I glue on a roughly hewn bit of transparent sprue and then whittle away, first with a dremel (carefully!), then sand paper and finally micromesh to polish. It's quite a lot of effort but they look cool in the end. Work is thankfully calming down as the year draws to a close so I'll hopefully make a bit more progress in the next few weeks - not too far off decals now...

50727958102_5d764b5071.jpg

50727131838_f4bd070dd0.jpg

🤬🤬🤬Swear words,  swear words, swear words! Was making good progress this evening, aluminium leading edges were masked, sprayed, looking good and then... disaster... somehow managed to butter fingers the model from about 4ft on to the ground. It seems to have landed right on the nose, splitting the seam, popping the canopy off and snapping one of the tail planes. 😭😭😭🤬🤬🤬

After some deep breaths I decided it could have been worse. The tail plane is now back on, the seams glued back together and the canopy reattached. The joins around the canopy aren't too bad but will need some filling, sanding and repainting,  along with the split along the nose. Sorry, I couldn't bring myself to take snaps but hopefully will be able to get back to where I was by the end of the weekend and perhaps start putting some decals on. Grrrr, oh well, keep calm and carry on i guess! 😆

• Sad 2