MiniArt 1/35th Coal Lorry

I built the military version of this sometime ago and really enjoyed it so I was keen to build the civil version too.

An exquisite model full of very fine detail thoughout. Some of which does require some extra care during assembly but worth it in the end.

I thought it looked a little sparse without some kind of load so I managed to track down some 1/35th bags of coal moulded in resin complete with real coal you just sprinkle into the tops of the sacks and secure with watered down PVA glue. These came from a company in France I personally had never heard of called Drakkar Models. Very nice they are too. Also, the shovel and fork etc are white metal from HLT minatures in Somerset

I also thought as yellow paint and coal don't really stay clean very long I gave the model a somewhat weathered look.

The only thing I'd like to confirm tho' is the colour scheme based on a real vehicle or is it fictitious? That also goes for the other 2 schemes in the kit.

I even emailed MiniArt to ask but the guy who answered didn't know either and they haven't got back to me yet....Over to you??

Anyway, thanks for looking.

50056001107_4a652f6f14_b.jpg20200628_213255

50055993127_d1c52126a4_b.jpg20200628_213855

50055996402_a4bdbcf108_h.jpg20200628_213344

50055743706_75a9e2ddb1_h.jpg20200628_214117

50056009432_99465d0f29_h.jpg20200628_214147

50056005402_6015620802_h.jpg20200628_213239

• Like 37
  • Thanks 1

I really like the look of that, well done :) 

I'd love to build one as my grandfathers were both miners and one of my great grandfathers was as well, but 1/35th is the wrong scale for me, lets hope for one in 1/24th :) 

The scheme whether ficticious or not, suits it down to the ground. There must have been a multitude of coal merchants around the period all working from collieries and coal yards at railway stations :) 

I was brought (dragged?) up at a time and place in which coal as our only source of heating, and I cannot remember ever seeing a coal lorry in bright colours at all!

You’ve  done a great job on a difficult kit - I’ve built the Old Bill bus and have the civvy bus and the military lorry yet to build, but I’m not looking forward to trying to get those ultra-thin railings off the sprues again!

Super colour, authentic scene and coal in sacks, well done.

• 4 weeks later...

The original vehicle was built by the Associated Equipment Company (AEC), which was the manufacturing part of the London General Omnibus Company (LGOC) and this company continued to build London buses up until it closed in 1979 by British Leyland.

A full list of the Truck models that were built by AEC can be viewed here and a list of the buses that were built by them can be viewed here, both links are to Wikipedia pages.

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, GerryW said:

The original vehicle was built by the Associated Equipment Company (AEC), which was the manufacturing part of the London General Omnibus Company (LGOC) and this company continued to build London buses up until it closed in 1979 by British Leyland.

A full list of the Truck models that were built by AEC can be viewed here and a list of the buses that were built by them can be viewed here, both links are to Wikipedia pages.

Thank you Gerry :thumbsup2:

Cheers

On 8/2/2020 at 6:51 AM, CliffB said:

What an attractive and unusual model.. Do you know which manufacturer produced the original vehicle, @keithjs ?

Cheers

Sorry, Cliff, I wasn't ignoring you but I haven't been on this week. Thanks for answering anyway Gerry.👍

• Thanks 1

A great build there.

The only thing I would alter would be to make the truck end - particularly the inside, MUCH dirtier.
My best friends dad used to be a coal delivery chap (coalman) and his lorry was virtually black inside at the back, and in the cab where the driver and second delivery guy sat.

Coal dust is FILTHY and gets everywhere.

Lovely build though. It's a reminder of times gone by.

On 8/10/2020 at 6:48 PM, roymattblack said:

A great build there.

The only thing I would alter would be to make the truck end - particularly the inside, MUCH dirtier.
My best friends dad used to be a coal delivery chap (coalman) and his lorry was virtually black inside at the back, and in the cab where the driver and second delivery guy sat.

Coal dust is FILTHY and gets everywhere.

Lovely build though. It's a reminder of times gone by.

OK, thank you for that and it's duly noted. Now wheres that airbrush and some black paint...