Question about saftey of Tamiya acrilyics

Nathanrobert86

Hi all,

Sorry to be a bother, but I have another question.

I recently purchased an air brush, but I live in a small apartment and don't have a painting booth.

I'm trying to use less toxic acrylic and water-based paints. I also use a 3m organic respirator when painting.

However, I recently read that Tamiya acrylics aren't water-based, but are solvent-based.

So I'm worried about using them. Is it adequate to use a respirator with a fan and wide open window when using these paints? Or is it a health danger?

I suppose I could purchase some Vallejo water based paints instead. But I just bought a bunch of Tamiya paint an X-20 thinner.

Thanks in advance.

On 6/28/2020 at 9:10 PM, Steve Noble said:

They're not solvent based or water based, more of an alcohol type base. I spray with an extractor fan and no mask needed with Tamiya paints. If you wear your mask you'll be well protected..

Being pedantic they absolutely are solvent based, all paints are solvent based.  A solvent is simply the liquid into which the solute (paint particles) is added to make a solution (paint).

So water is a solvent, as is alcohol, as is enamel thinners and lacquer thinners.

Cheers,

Nigel

3 minutes ago, nheather said:

Being pedantic they absolutely are solvent based, all paints are solvent based.  A solvent is simply the liquid into which the solute (paint particles) is added to make a solution (paint).

So water is a solvent, as is alcohol, as is enamel thinners and lacquer thinners.

Cheers,

Nigel

Yes, agree, but the original poster was asking about the smell in particular and if he needed a mask and extractor fan, were they "smelly" solvent type paints. Which on that point they're not that smelly at all if compared to something like Mr Color, which do stink pretty bad..