A couple of meatboxes

iainpeden

This started as an insert in the Special Hobby 1/48th Meteor in Rumourmonger but hopefully of wider and now more extensive impact here. (Julian, if you want to me take out the Rumourmonger entry please let me know)

A friend of mine asked me to research these pictures for a mate of his. The mate's dad is in the cockpit in the first picture.
EE549 was an F.4 used to set an air speed record - I think it was based at Tangmere and a note on the back confirms this. Apparently these a/c went straight from Gloster to Tangmere. As a modeller, I have only ever seen a profile of this a/c - which shows it as a medium blue with white codes. Well- those codes aren't white. There's also a colour photo of the a/c on Horseguards Parade, with a Lysander, Spitfire and Mossie behind; it is in grey/green camo and I haven't yet managed to find a date for that. She is currently at the Tangmere museum.

50053985581_f4f1c15791_z.jpgUntitled-15-meteor ee549 by Iain Peden, on Flickr

EE470 - I think it belongs to 263 squadron and may have been taken at RAF Acklington. Interestingly it is recorded as being an a/c kept behind by Glosters and linked to an order by the Argentinian Air Force for 100 Meteors.

50055605262_67e4194fe8_z.jpgUntitled-19-g meteor ee470 by Iain Peden, on Flickr

If any body can shed any more light on either airframe I'd be grateful.

No information but an observation.  EE549 seems to be carrying the initials and rank pennant of Air Marshall Sir James Robb who commanded Fighter Command during that period.  Presumably he had it assigned after the record was made.  It is recorded as having continued with Fighter Command into the 1950s.

His Spitfire SL721 is recorded as having been blue and marked similarly.

10 hours ago, Work In Progress said:

Worth bearing in mind that by this stage they had put the normal F.4 short wings on EE549 

Can you elaborate as my Meteor knowledge is non-existent? Did they have longer wings for the record attempts?

Thanks.

36 minutes ago, iainpeden said:

Can you elaborate as my Meteor knowledge is non-existent? Did they have longer wings for the record attempts?

Thanks.

Yes. It is literally all in the thread you posted in a couple of days ago on Rumourmonger. I suggest you go back to the start and read it. We had many pages of discussion of these aircraft here 

Edited by Work In Progress
  • Thanks 1