Airfix 1/72 B-24J Liberator Sharkmouth ++Finished+++

2 hours ago, GREG DESTEC said:

Cheers Craig, I'm relieved the old transfers remained largely intact when they came off the backing paper, and then bedded down over all the lumps and bumps 😥

Not always guaranteed with new decals never mind old Airfix ones!

2 hours ago, GREG DESTEC said:

well overdue for a new tooling from Mr Airfix!

Amen to that!

• Like 3

Well, after a period of maximum effort she is finished!

Finishing the last bits on my models are always the most painstaking times. Firstly i lost the nose turret glazing and spent ages combing the work space for it. After crawling around the floor and emptying every box i hadcome in to contact with i had given up hope. Ah well, best finish what i ve got then. Picking up the engine cowlings unearthed my quarry! It had got stuck inside somehow so i was well chuffed to find it and had cleaned the work bench as an added bonus.

Painting the cockpit framing was tedious and at best a bit of a guess as these old moulds have long lost the guides Airfix printed on them all those years ago. Anyway we are all done and dusted, so here are the pics, which don't really do it justice. My photography skills leave a lot to be desired...

Thanks to all for watching, its been a blast. A couple of photos show the Airfix B-29 as a companion/comparason shot. The kit came with both models in one boxing as part of the Bombers series, and it seems fitting to show them together.

All the best Greg

50153868353_7669fee85d_z.jpg

50153868293_da19377c4b_z.jpg

50154657897_2e4c8dcc54_z.jpg

50154421836_f074edce20_z.jpg

50153868173_bfea37eb22_z.jpg

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

Hi Greg. Hope you are well. Great to see this one finished and what a superb result! It truly does look awesome! Very well done. :worthy:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, zebra said:

Great work Greg, that's turned out very nicely indeed.

5 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Hi Greg. Hope you are well. Great to see this one finished and what a superb result! It truly does look awesome! Very well done. :worthy:

Kind regards,

Stix

2 hours ago, Dansk said:

Great job Greg it came out super

Many thanks for the kind comments gents 👍

Very much appreciated

Cheers Greg🍺

13 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Fantastic Greg!

She looks great displayed in flight.

Shows how big the B-29 is as the B-24 isn't exactly small.

Thanks Craig 👍

I really.like the B-24 in flight. I think the aircraft looks awkward wheels down. It's totally dwarfed by the Superfortress. 

• Like 2

Looks great! 

Man, it makes me so sad I threw mine out. It was one of the very last models I had left that I'd done as a kid and the moment I tossed it (beyond retrieval) I instantly regretted it.

Great to see it here - thanks for the nostalgia trip!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, John said:

Vastly better than I ever managed with this kit, excellent job. 

John 

9 hours ago, bianfuxia said:

Looks great! 

Man, it makes me so sad I threw mine out. It was one of the very last models I had left that I'd done as a kid and the moment I tossed it (beyond retrieval) I instantly regretted it.

Great to see it here - thanks for the nostalgia trip!

8 hours ago, JosephLalor said:

Very neat job indeed on 50+ year-old tooling.  I'm partial to a shark-mouthed Liberator myself, and I'd like to finish my 1/144 one as Tubarao.  Hand-painting beckons.

Many thanks guys 👍

I am.glad you like her 😀 this old lady still scrubs up well with a bit of tlc

Cheers Greg 

On 26/07/2020 at 11:21, GREG DESTEC said:

Well, after a period of maximum effort she is finished!

Finishing the last bits on my models are always the most painstaking times. Firstly i lost the nose turret glazing and spent ages combing the work space for it. After crawling around the floor and emptying every box i hadcome in to contact with i had given up hope. Ah well, best finish what i ve got then. Picking up the engine cowlings unearthed my quarry! It had got stuck inside somehow so i was well chuffed to find it and had cleaned the work bench as an added bonus.

Painting the cockpit framing was tedious and at best a bit of a guess as these old moulds have long lost the guides Airfix printed on them all those years ago. Anyway we are all done and dusted, so here are the pics, which don't really do it justice. My photography skills leave a lot to be desired...

Thanks to all for watching, its been a blast. A couple of photos show the Airfix B-29 as a companion/comparason shot. The kit came with both models in one boxing as part of the Bombers series, and it seems fitting to show them together.

All the best Greg

50153868353_7669fee85d_z.jpg

50153868293_da19377c4b_z.jpg

50154657897_2e4c8dcc54_z.jpg

50154421836_f074edce20_z.jpg

50153868173_bfea37eb22_z.jpg

Greg..i really liked the nice touch where it looks like you picked out certain panels in darker colour wash on the wings.. gives the model some extra 'dept'h and interest.. looks 'right' . The Sharks mouth looks great! know that sinking feeling of mislaid parts.. carpet monsters need feeding!.. will feed it sprues only in future! I have enjoyed your journey as much as you have enjoyed presenting and doing it no doubt. Thank you!

4 hours ago, Col Walter E Kurtz said:

Love it! looks fab.. glad you finished it and not a bad choice to go wheels up .. it's superb! and looks very good in company with your B-29! Thank you for sharing! 

Thank you very much 👍

I am pleased you liked the end result, and thanks for all your comments and support.

Cheers Greg 🍺

• Like 1

• 4 months later...