Norwegian Mk43 Seaking 1/72

Hi there

Let me present my model of a helicopter that flies over my house a few days a week. This is the latest Airfix Seaking made with the addition of the fantastic Whirlybirds conversion set. This set includes all the resin and brass parts as well as the Vingtor Seaking decal sheet needed to make either and early, or present day Seaking.

The Whirlybirds set instructions cover 4 sides of A4 and are very complete. The special Norwegian Seaking parts include:

SARBE beacon

Liferafts

Large radome on the back. This needs a bit of fettling to get it to sit right

Twin winches. The winch units are resin and the supports are PE. These need ar but of shortening to get them both in the right place.

FLIR on the port nose

Nose radome

The Vingtor decals are superb, there must be around 80 stencils and the placement guide is perfect.

The helicopter was painted with enamels. Humbrol 192 was used for the dayglo in seceral thin layers. Some differential weathering using thin white overspray was done to match how these look in real life. Some diluted Tamiya Smoke was used for the exhoust marks.

The Airfix set comes with the option of folded blades. The centre 3 blades were OK but the outer pair needed to be cut off at the root to get the correct angle.

Here are the pictures.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

And here is my normal view of the real thing.

spacer.png

Regards Toby

• Like 69

What a fantastic Seaking!!! You've done a superb job using what appears to be a fairly tricky conversion set.

Congratulations!!!

Keep them coming.

JR

• Like 1

Thanks for the kind words.

The conversion it itself is not tricky. The instructions are very good but the winch supports and radome need a little work. The thing is there are a lot of parts to the conversion, and loads of stencils.

Again, WhirlyBird and Vingtor have done a superb job with their products. 

regards Toby

• 4 weeks later...

Hello "62",

Stunning model from the Norwegian Airforce.

These military (rescue) aviators most be very skilled to operate in the harsh Norweging climate.

(Mountains and thousends of fjords.)

Your model is a clear tribute to their operations.

Thanks to Whirley Bird and Vingtor, this was all possible.

Regards, Orion.

• Like 1