1/48 AW101 330 Sqn RNoAF Search & Rescue

49 minutes ago, IV(AC)Plumb said:

Have you used the original blades or made new ones?

Looking good there! I'm at the stage now whereby I'm in need of your help!!

printed in one piece.

Tail rotor AW-101 Merlin 1/48 1/72 printed 3d.

Tail rotor AW-101 Merlin 1/48 1/72 printed 3d.

Edited by SimPlai
  • Like 10

To preserve the shape of the blades, I made a groove that will allow you to insert a steel wire of about 0.3 mm.  Then the groove is filled with material that maintains its shape over time (it could be liquid steel in a tube).

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/29/2020 at 7:39 AM, SimPlai said:

To preserve the shape of the blades, I made a groove that will allow you to insert a steel wire of about 0.3 mm.  Then the groove is filled with material that maintains its shape over time (it could be liquid steel in a tube).

Excellent work with the new generation TR. Will they be available commercially?

Colin

• 1 month later...

Bit more progress:

this is @SimPlai 3D nose for the AW101 612

spacer.png

Adding 3d rivet detail (well a token as its entirely rivets!

spacer.png

Took a bit too much off the nose!

spacer.png

These are two parts of three that make up the radar aerials

spacer.png

These fit perfectly into the space where the chaff/flare launchers would fit on an HC3

spacer.png

This is the search light mount (too delicate to add the light brackets at this point

spacer.png

like aI said too k too much off!

spacer.png

Couple of coats of base white to show any more filling reqired

spacer.png

Which it did!

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by IV(AC)Plumb
  • Like 6

Getting there, I'm dreading spraying the Day Glo Orange, I'm even tempted to go the only route I've ever  had success with and use a Halfords spray can fluorescent orange!

spacer.png

Base done on the rotors, need a gloss coat and decals, then matt..

spacer.png

Combination of kit decals, one or two from the spares box and some custom printed ones (Lettering, serials, and crests etc (I will have some spares)

spacer.png

Edited by IV(AC)Plumb
  • Like 9

Hi there

Dayglo colours need a lot of layers because the colour is very thin, believe it or not.

Best to take your time and not to rush, oh, and make sure all the white is masked off. Dayglo overspray on white is difficult to remove and putting masking on top of dayglo paint often pulls off the dayglo when you remove it.

regards Toby

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Vingtor said:

Very interesting to follow this.

Seems the tail number has wrong shape, though. Should not be USAF style.

Nils

It is actually a very difficult style to find too, I have searched my fontbanks and even old Letraset files but in the end I believe I will have to use something like Helvetica or Transport, in Bold.

The rescue titles should be rounded off too, not the US type but as I said the proper font has eluded me since I began my project

(ac)Plumb you are making a beautiful job of this and if I ever do go to larger scale than 1/48 yours is the version I would copy.

Simone has made a brilliant job of adding the additional nose bulges into the radome print, superb.

Any chance of a correct set of decals for this beauty, Nils? Not only 1/72, but some 1/48 love too🤗

Keep up this wonderful work IV(ac) Plumb! And thx Simone for these fantastic sets. We really live in the golden age of modelling!!!

Cheers,

John

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Vingtor said:

Very interesting to follow this.

Seems the tail number has wrong shape, though. Should not be USAF style.

Nils

spacer.png

Just to add these were produced for me....from photo ref so as mentioned finding the font proved difficullt!

Edited by IV(AC)Plumb

13 hours ago, IV(AC)Plumb said:

spacer.png

Just to add these were produced for me....from photo ref so as mentioned finding the font proved difficullt!

IV(AC) (will we ever be able to be a little less formal IV?)

Would you like me to send you a scan of the Norwegian letters and numbers on the 1/72 scale Xtradecals section which do have the proper font for our Redningstjenetse aircraft.

Maybe you could then get them resized to use on your beautiful model in 1/48 scale

3 hours ago, perdu said:

IV(AC) (will we ever be able to be a little less formal IV?)

Would you like me to send you a scan of the Norwegian letters and numbers on the 1/72 scale Xtradecals section which do have the proper font for our Redningstjenetse aircraft.

Maybe you could then get them resized to use on your beautiful model in 1/48 scale

TBH I'm not paying out again to get them re-printed, but for completeness yes please.

Regards

Steve (aka IV(AC)

• Thanks 1