1/48 AW101 330 Sqn RNoAF Search & Rescue

1 hour ago, wellsprop said:

Is Simone also printing you a new tail rotor hub to replace the old one from the kit?

not subtle dude

:(

Look how many times I had to keep looking to even see the differences at first...

Then I spent half  the afternoon walking round the Yeovilton display line telling my mate Bill2 "Old type, old type, look a later type, old type..."

I think he wanted to shove a bun in my gob to shut me up, tasty. Soss, egg and red sauce.

Yummy

This has now officially moved up my doing it nextish list along with an Irish Coast Guard S-61N.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, IV(AC)Plumb said:

Not that I'm aware of, he's said he will be doing nose cones, winches, external search light and radar fairings...

How do I tag him on here?

I had a look at Simone's facebook page, I'm not sure if he's got a TR conversion. I can knock up the CAD for you if required :D (I may even be able to get it printed if my mates printer is back up and running)

@SimPlai

21 minutes ago, perdu said:

not subtle dude

:(

Look how many times I had to keep looking to even see the differences at first...

Then I spent half  the afternoon walking round the Yeovilton display line telling my mate Bill2 "Old type, old type, look a later type, old type..."

I think he wanted to shove a bun in my gob to shut me up, tasty. Soss, egg and red sauce.

Yummy

This has now officially moved up my doing it nextish list along with an Irish Coast Guard S-61N.

Oops! Yes, there are quite a few differences! In fact, the 600 series AW101, isn't very similar at all to the 500 series EH101... Although they do mostly look similar :)

• Like 2

So here is the old tail rotor, this is the "teetering" type.

tail-rotor-on-an-agusta-westland-eh101-h

As you can see from the Airfix kit, it is literally two tail rotors stacked one on top of the the other

3271_2_afx14101_11.jpg

And here is the new (fully articulated) tail rotor

tail-rotor-on-a-royal-navy-merlin-mk4-he

The blades themselves (at least from a modellers point of view) are unchanged.

What can be clearly seen is that there is a central "wheel" as the hub, to which the blades attach.

The blades are bolted to that large U shaped linking component, which goes through those holes in the central hub. The link and hub are connected by an elastomeric bearing.

The fully articulated hub also includes a lag damper to each of the blades (thats the dog-bone-chew-toy-shape thats attached to the side of the hub and the trailing side of the blade root.

The control scissors (Airfix parts C53 and C54) have changed and now join beneath the spider (rather than on top), they attach to the hub next to the hub attachment for the lag damper (there are still 2 scissors, one on each side of the hub), the spider (Airfix part C40 has changed slightly - but unlikely noticeable in even 48th scale).

From wiki "Upon its entry to service, the AW101 experienced tail rotor hub cracking issues; including one British Merlin crashing on 30 March 2004 which was caused by this issue.[15] The CH-149 Cormorant has been grounded and been placed on limited flight status multiple times due to hub cracks; all 15 aircraft in Canadian inventory showed cracks of varying degrees shortly after entry to service in 2004.[16] A subsequent redesign was issued in 2005; out of the six aircraft which had the new hubs installed, three showed cracking one month later.[17] A new Articulated Tail Rotor (ATR) with elastomeric bearings has been adopted on the AW101, based on a proven design used on the AW139 medium-twin helicopter. The ATR is now standard issue on new AW101s and is offered for retrofit on existing fleets."

I think you'll struggle to find ANY 101 flying currently with the old tail rotor (it's been retrofitted).

This is one of the most outwardly noticeable changes between the 500 and 600 standard, however there are a huge amount more material, configuration, software, surface coating, etc changes (not applicable to scale models though).

Edited by wellsprop
Correcting info mistake
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1

Very impressive start. Looking forward to following this. 

If you have a printer you will need to make these crests.

Top = (510mm) 10.6 mm high in 1/48th

Bottom = (400mm) 8.3 mm high in 1/48th - you will need to flip this for the stbd side.

The Fluorescent Red/Orange finish is RAL3024

I can also be of help for any details, but as Wellsprop said as long as it is not sensitive.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 5

11 hours ago, wellsprop said:

I had a look at Simone's facebook page, I'm not sure if he's got a TR conversion. I can knock up the CAD for you if required :D (I may even be able to get it printed if my mates printer is back up and running)

@ellsprop

I've access to a 3D printer but not the CAD so anything you can help with much appreciated.

Areas I'd be interested in are:

Tail rotor hub!

Sponson radar panels

Interior seats (crew seat not pax)

Nose cone and FLIR

interior of crew access door/steps

Rear sensor at very end of tail (parking sensors!!)

Aerial fit

Searchlight mounting

Underside search light modules

Sensor antenna to port side of nose wheel bay (black bit!)

So yes any and all help appreciated as it looks like once again I've taken on a behemoth of a job!

Thanks

Steve 

Edited by IV(AC)Plumb
tag
  • Like 1

Looking good, it's very nice kit, I have two on the go. Thanks for Wellsprop for the heads up on the TR a printed alterantive would be great.

I've pulled up a front row seat...

Colin

• Like 1

On 7/8/2020 at 10:16 AM, Vingtor said:

I am definitely thinking about 1/72 scale. Not sure about the sales potential for 1/48.

Nils

Well, we just have to accept this, but THE best kit (sofar) is in 1/48......

• Like 1

On 08/07/2020 at 09:16, Vingtor said:

I am definitely thinking about 1/72 scale. Not sure about the sales potential for 1/48.

Nils

I’d definitely be up for a 1:48 nose job...

I don't think they are actually blue tinted. 0279, in your picture, hasn't got it's rotors on yet, so it had yet to fly (I'm not sure if it has flown yet - ZZ110 https://www.helis.com/database/cn/43964/ ). Looks like it still has protective wrapping on the exhausts and intakes too.

Here's how they should look, note the tinted cockpit windows.

1106724.jpg

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, IV(AC)Plumb said:

Glad about that, although they do look kinda funky in blue!

Is it just the roof panels that are tinted on the cockpit?

The roof panels are black/grey/brownish tinted. The windscreen also appears blueish tinted (its clear from the inside looking out), this is due to the fancy laminated windscreen with deicing capability embedded. The cockpit side windows also look tinted from the outside, however they appear a bit more reddish-blue.

I've also realised the cockpit panel has change significantly. The Airfix part (B17) shows the old small screens on the panel, on NAWSARH they have been replaced with 5 10"x8" LCD's. This should be a really simple conversion, sand flat the old detail and replace with 5 5mmx4mm bits of plasticard.

aw101-ronaf-cockpit-fia18-web.jpg?width=

Edited by wellsprop
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Been busy with the interior, starting to look a lot more like an SAR interior now, shame so much of this will be semi-hidden inside....

Full compliment of crew seats:

spacer.png

Bit more detail to the casualty station:

spacer.png

spacer.png

Portable stretcher:

spacer.png

Full interior

spacer.png

spacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1