Bristol Superfreighter Mk.32 build research

Muddyf

I’m about to start the old Airfix Bristol Freighter and I’m looking to build it with doors open so the interior is on view.

i have loads of photos and links to various videos on YouTube showing pretty much all areas that would be visible when I build the model.

The one thing I’m trying (and failing) to get my hands on would be decent sets of plans or drawings.

Are any decent drawings (1/72 scale or otherwise) of the Mk.32 Bristol freighter?

Thanks.

• Like 1

On 6/28/2020 at 3:16 PM, Muddyf said:

I’m about to start the old Airfix Bristol Freighter and I’m looking to build it with doors open so the interior is on view.

i have loads of photos and links to various videos on YouTube showing pretty much all areas that would be visible when I build the model.

The one thing I’m trying (and failing) to get my hands on would be decent sets of plans or drawings.

Are any decent drawings (1/72 scale or otherwise) of the Mk.32 Bristol freighter?

Thanks.

Try buying the DVD of the film ‘The Man in the Sky’ with Jack Hawkins in. It uses a superfreighter in that particular airframes configuration. It was made at literally spitting distance from where I come from in Wolverhampton. There are scenes That will help you place internal boxes and the like. It might also be that each individual Airframe had its own configuration. Have fun !

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the replies guys.

The Silver City link will be useful! Didn’t even think of going down that route.

The Jack Hawkins film is on my list of films to obtain.

If you want internal cutaways of the aircraft then look out for the Bristol Type 170 Mk32 Maintenance Manuals that come up from time to time on Ebay. This has beautiful cutaways of the interior car area, the doors and their interior details and the passenger seating arrangement but few if any interior or other dimensions .

If you want, possibly the only definitive history with some drawings and loads of history of all marks and liveries then look out for the book The Bristol 170: Freighter, Wayfarer and Superfreighter by Derek King. This is currently out of publication but again comes up on Ebay and sometimes secondhand via Amazon but at the moment be prepared to pay some quite significant amounts of silly money.

Be careful with looking at Mk 21/31 references with regard to the cargo hold for a Mk32 as there were some significant changes that took place when they added the nose extension, especially to the layout of the pipework, ventilation and Main wing spar covering/housing etc in the ceiling. I think the cockpit layout had very few changes. 

I do have some other cutaways for the Mk32 but they are not to scale and come from various comics and magazines of the 50's and 60's but as to 1/72nd scale interior drawings then I can't help you. I would love a set myself. 

Cheers,

Linz

To bad my aviation museum is closed right now, we have one. When I used to volunteer I was always hiding in it. i just know it's a bare airframe inside except the rear door is i think sheeted. There is a ladder just below the cockpit on the right side and one on the last rear bulkhead that goes to the top outside. Under the cockpit floor all the cables and such are exposed. There's an angled panel about a foot tall that runs along the floor on both sides, they are angled upwards at about 70ish degrees. https://www.google.com/search?q=bristol+freighter+wcam&client=firefox-b-d&sxsrf=ALeKk00Dqnuvy_PTQeqlMWBjtxcYg9_AUA:1593666140193&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjQxLSB5a3qAhWLY98KHUIZCroQ_AUoAXoECAwQAw&biw=1366&bih=654

I saw a picture of one with no ducting under the cockpit, might be heat piping.

Thanks for the replies again guys, in response:

Chopper - I have seen those manuals etc pop up on ebay, amazon etc. The book is one i have in my (now VERY extensive wishlist) but as pointed out, does sell for silly money. I have some cutaways but they arent to scale and also, as with a lot of older cutaways, not always accurate.

Busnproplinerfan - I have (very limited) access to a Mk21, although i would love to crawl over the one you have at WCAM! The little details amaze me, i.e. the 'Bristol' logo on the pedals etc. That said, the differences in the bits im most interested in, especially around the doors, is the sticking point for me.

Wez - I have seen that site, some useful bits, photos etc. 

Thanks

Yup, you are dead right info on this aircraft is very thin on the ground. When gleaning any information for my own builds I have gone with whatever I can lay my hands on on the web. Totally agree the comic cutaways are pure 'rendition of the maybe'.

Sounds like you have a real soft spot for the old girl just like me. I also take it you are going to do a real detail job on the interior. Good for you. I have that same dream to do likewise one day.  

The maintenance manual is the way to go without a doubt. I reckon it has all the detail you will need bar the actual dimensions for the front doors. It also has detail blow up drawings of the door hinges and their housings as well as the rodding/hydraulics for the opening mechanism which is hidden under the cockpit flooring. 

My copy of the manual had to be returned to my brother back in the UK so sadly I don't have it to hand.

I see you are in Bristol, so the Mk31 you are referring to is the one at the Filton museum?  I suppose you have approached them already.

Sorry I can't help any further.

Good luck,

Linz

• Thanks 1

Another thought. There are the remains of a Mk31 behind one of the hangars at Enstone aerodrome.

https://aviation-safety.net/database/record.php?id=19960718-0

Might be worth asking if you could have a look. But the accident was nearly 25 years ago, so time will have taken its toll.

• Thanks 1

On 6/29/2020 at 5:39 PM, Fea said:

Try buying the DVD of the film ‘The Man in the Sky’ with Jack Hawkins in. It uses a superfreighter in that particular airframes configuration. It was made at literally spitting distance from where I come from in Wolverhampton. There are scenes That will help you place internal boxes and the like. It might also be that each individual Airframe had its own configuration. Have fun !

Not correct I'm afraid. The aircraft in this film is  Bristol 170 Wayfarer, G-AIFV, not a 'Super Freighter', so ths will be of little help in the model build, but good to watch.

• 2 weeks later...

Muddyf et al, 

I have been able to find my brother's copy of the Mk32 Maintenance Manual (circa 1953). I am happy to share some of these images with you here.

I hope these will help you with what you are looking for in the way of information. I have other areas of the airframe covered also should you want any other details.

Muddy, I hope you go ahead and make up your MK32 and post your progress on here. I don't know why I love this butt ugly plane but I do, as I do most British Transport a/c of the 50s and 60s. 

Just as an aside, my brother got his copy of the manual from an engineer working in the hangers at Lydd when he went down there one day back in the 70s to fix up some telephone lines for the control tower. Not only that, he also bummed a tour of the Instone Mk31 that had just come out of repair following its return to the UK from NZ. And...the swine got an invite to go on a test flight. Jammy beggar. 

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 5
  • Thanks 6