Airfix 1/48 Defiant NF1

Airfix 1/48 Defiant NF1, I really enjoyed this build, like all the "new" Airfix I've built, everything fitted together well with very little filler required. As I was going to build it with the canopy open I splashed out on a set of Eduard seat belts and as the was a lot of clear stuff to be painted a set of Eduard masks as well. These fitted really well but tended to "leak" a little where two pieces overlapped, ultimately this was not a problem as 5 mins with a cocktail stick tidied everything up. As always painted with Vallejo air paints with just a little weathering to break up the overall black and to make things a little more "interesting"

y4m1Y-F1cmUP2YoegwECINPHvStexRYlkzrw_WAh

y4mOaHzlDrvvu7UcKcLAqhexDEmg19-tF1gx9M6Z

y4md_dfhjtVwwx-2XdldMjRkeWNC10GdlwNG6HKw

y4myb3iYTPFUkGGGX4i48Sd7otNUARpHk37wqbAf

y4mCeA-Aq4WjhNA_ZiJWLhk6ErA3837NGnawm0Kr

• Like 30

That’s a smart looking Defiant @Katfood; I’m glad that you haven’t weathered it to death.  There’s a photo of N3328 in Camouflage and Markings RAF Fighter Command 1936 -1945 by James Goulding (Ducimus Books 1970 -1971) showing a semi-matt finish on the fuselage with some paint chipping on the wing upper surface.  Unfortunately the camera angle is quite low so you can’t see much of the wing surface.

Thanks for the warning about the Eduard masks; I’ve a set of these on order for my stalled 141 Squadron example so forewarned will be forearmed😁👍.

I’ve got a couple of minor points for you though.  Firstly the upper wing roundels should not overlap onto the ailerons (think of the fun the painters and riggers on the squadrons would have not had sorting that out🤣).

Very nice!  I am gonna have to get one of these kits someday. Hats off to Airfix for choosing to do this aircraft. It probably isn't as popular with most modelers outside of the UK

but still it is unique enough to add to a collection of builds.  BTW your weathering is great,. It can be difficult to paint a black aircraft and not have it turn out looking like a monochromatic

toy. 👍🏾