Hasegawa 1/72 AH-64 Apache Longbow *** DONE ***

Glad to hear you've arrived safely in Germany. Sniffed out any local model shops yet?

The Apache is looking good so far and I'd say you're on the right track with your weathering plan. Only advice I can offer is to do a little less than you think is required then step away from it for a wee while; fresh eyes see better ;) 

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Jinxman said:

Can't help with the washes - other than I always try to put a  'barrier' between weathering coats - I use Pledge/Klear.  She looks like she is almost there - good luck with her. 😀

Thanks a lot @Jinxman Yes I know a lot of people on here are using Pledge/Klear. In my old home Dubai I couldn't find it but apparently it's sold under the name Pronto here in Germany. Will have to give it a try in the future then. 

7 hours ago, Col. said:

Glad to hear you've arrived safely in Germany. Sniffed out any local model shops yet?

The Apache is looking good so far and I'd say you're on the right track with your weathering plan. Only advice I can offer is to do a little less than you think is required then step away from it for a wee while; fresh eyes see better ;) 

Thanks a lot @Col. Think it will be difficult to find a "local" model shop in Germany these days. The local toy store here closed just last week. 

Thanks for the advice on the weathering. So the motto is: less is more 🙂 

• Like 1

My apologies DF, this one seems to have slipped under the wire so I have had a read through and I am up to speed now. Looking good so far and the colour appears to be spot on.

As for advice on filters etc, I can offer some from things that I have read, and that would be to seal the paint with a gloss coat, then do the panel line wash. Once you are satisfied with the result, seal that with a satin clear coat and apply the filters. I would be wary when removing any excess wash or filter, gently wipe away ensuring that it doesn't remove the underlying work. I am sure that others may offer better ways of doing this, and there will be plenty of 'How To' videos on Youtube. The main thing is to remember that less is more, so don't overdo things. HTH

Good to know that move has gone well. I guess that you are still unpacking and settling in, and I wish you all the best for the future in your new home.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, desert falcon said:

Thanks a lot @Col. Think it will be difficult to find a "local" model shop in Germany these days. The local toy store here closed just last week. 

Similar to the current situation in the UK then :( My local shop within 10 minutes walk has been closed since April with no mention of when it'll reopen and the next nearest are around 100 miles away in Edinburgh.

3 hours ago, desert falcon said:

Thanks for the advice on the weathering. So the motto is: less is more 🙂 

Particularly so when working in layers as the cumulative effect can easily sneak up and catch you out. Rather like seasoning your food it's always easier to add more to taste than remove too much.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Col. said:

Similar to the current situation in the UK then :( My local shop within 10 minutes walk has been closed since April with no mention of when it'll reopen and the next nearest are around 100 miles away in Edinburgh.

Sad isn't it .. maybe you can take over the local hobby shop, I'm sure you would have many future customers here on BM (including me) 🙂 

Surprisingly in Dubai there were two good hobby shops around, one having the full range of Vallejo products and the other having a big selection of kits, paints, tools etc. But there is a rather big filipino community in the UAE, who are crazy about Gundam and the likes, which I think makes it profitable to run a store.

19 hours ago, Col. said:

Particularly so when working in layers as the cumulative effect can easily sneak up and catch you out. Rather like seasoning your food it's always easier to add more to taste than remove too much.

This is well noted, thanks 👍

• Like 1

20 hours ago, nimrod54 said:

My apologies DF, this one seems to have slipped under the wire so I have had a read through and I am up to speed now. Looking good so far and the colour appears to be spot on.

As for advice on filters etc, I can offer some from things that I have read, and that would be to seal the paint with a gloss coat, then do the panel line wash. Once you are satisfied with the result, seal that with a satin clear coat and apply the filters. I would be wary when removing any excess wash or filter, gently wipe away ensuring that it doesn't remove the underlying work. I am sure that others may offer better ways of doing this, and there will be plenty of 'How To' videos on Youtube. The main thing is to remember that less is more, so don't overdo things. HTH

Good to know that move has gone well. I guess that you are still unpacking and settling in, and I wish you all the best for the future in your new home.

Thanks a lot @nimrod54 and there is no reason to apologize 🙂 

Your advice on the weathering is well noted! As soon as I can "self isolate" for a couple of hours at my temporary workbench at my mother in laws place, I'm going to give it a try. So my revised weathering plan will be something like this:

- gloss coat to seal the paintwork

- transfers

- gloss coat to seal the transfers

- panel line wash

- satin clear coat to seal the PLW

- final weathering with filters and possible some oils

- final coat of satin clear

(By the time I finish all this, this GB will definitely be over 😁)

With regards to the move, except for the few things we could check in on the flight, everything is still on its way in a 40' container on board the good vessel MAERSK KYRENIA, currently located outside the port of Novorossiysk in the Black Sea (amazing what you can find on the world wide web these days). But hopefully soon we will have settled in our new home. 

Thanks again to everybody for their good wishes!

Cheers

Johnny b 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

And she's in the gallery, one hour before closing time :beer: 

She's not fully done yet, as I still need to do some tidying up on the silver frames on the canopy, just as I wanted to try out some weathering (it's looking way to clean for an Apache). But I'm happy she's in the gallery!

b0e9152aeba5ab7ff7dc24163e424512.jpg

A big thanks to @JOCKNEY@Col., our beloved leader @Enzo Matrix and everyone else who participated, or just took time to pass a kind comment !!

Cheers

Johnny b 

Edited by desert falcon
Picture inserted
  • Like 3

• desert falcon changed the title to Hasegawa 1/72 AH-64 Apache Longbow *** DONE ***
18 hours ago, nimrod54 said:

Great job Johnny, nice to see that it made it into the gallery too.

Cheers

John

16 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Congratulations Johnny that has turned out really well, great to see another completed build in the gallery.

Cheers Pat

9 hours ago, Jabba said:

Well done in getting this one finished.

Thank you gents !!

• Like 2